It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Tourette Syndrome Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-15-2003, 07:14 PM   #1
Senior Veteran

* Free ~ Spirit * HB User
Exclamation Pyroluria can cause ADD/ADHD/ODD/Bipolar/Tourettes

"Pyroluria - This condition is caused by an overproduction during hemoglobin synthesis of kryptopyrrole, which chemically combines with vitamin B6 and zinc, resulting in their excretion and a severe deficiency of both of these essential nutrients."

Pyroluria can cause symptoms of ADD/ADHD, ODD, Conduct disorder, Bipolar disorder, IED, and more.

This is a problem which is genetic. So most likely the parent or another family member will also have it. It is usually not recognized and treated by many main stream doctors even though all thats needed to diagnose it is a simple cheap urine test. Many children and adults with pyroluria are diagnosed with mental illness, ADHD, and other impulse disorders.

Pyroluria is a chemical imbalance. Some of the symptoms that show up may be:
a Poor ability to control and cope with an average amount of daily stress
b Nervousness/Fearfulness in situations where it is not warented
c Mild, moderate, or severe anxiety which may include servere irritability and even panick attacks
d Mood swings that can at times be viewed as bad as those seen in bipolar disorders
e Uneasiness, severe inner tension that does not go away
f Short fuse, no anger control, episodes of rage
g Poor short term memory, poor ability to focus
h Sensitivity to bright lights or environmental stimuli
i Sunburns easily
j Food sensitivities/Allergies
k Anemia

Those are just some of the symptoms that may be present in an individual with this condition. There are many more. This condition can mimic many illness both physical and mental.

Most children who have this are diagnosed as ADD/ADHD or another mental disorder. The test is cheap and though most doctors will not be very keen on the idea, every parent needs to ask/demand that their child get this simple cheap urine test done before being diagnosed with any condition such as ADD.

One young man was diagnosed with ADHD, ODD, Tourettes and Bipolar. He was medicated for these issues. After some time his mother looked for help from a doctor who was knowledgeable about all of her sons conditions. This doctor suggested that the young man have a simple urine test for pyroluria. He tested positive. He is now off all medication and doing quite well.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 11-16-2003, 11:41 AM   #2
Inactive
(female)

Jennita HB User
I looked some more things about it and schizophrenia is also mentioned. Thanks for posting, it is a good read. No doubt something that should be investigated; the only way that will happen is if people know about it and insist their doctors look into it!

Old 11-16-2003, 05:03 PM   #3
Senior Veteran

Yeah, it's not recognized or treated by many main stream doctors. Many don't even know about it!!! Which is pretty rediculous since it is a pretty common health problem.

Old 11-16-2003, 11:42 PM   #4
Inactive
(female)

Jennita HB User
I guess there's not much money for the drug companies and doctors in "common" health problems these days....so there you have it.

Old 11-17-2003, 04:40 PM   #5

szarkam HB User
There really needs to be a list of TESTs that should be done to rule out other health problems before someone can be diagnosed with ADHD. It is scary that there are so many other things that could be the cause and everyone's quick fix is ADHD - lets medicate

Old 11-17-2003, 11:00 PM   #6
Senior Veteran

I agree, it's very scary. The present day fad is to medicate for everything. I had a vetranarian tell me that my dog should be put on anti depressants because he has seperation anxiety!!! I laughed in her face and said no thanks. He is just a puppy, and has been used to me being home with him. I recently started long hours so of course he has a right to be a bit anxious and bored!! He just needs to get used of staying home alone and he will be fine. Another vet wanted me to give him tranquilizers!!! I got pretty mad about that, even worse than doggy happy pills, tranquilizers (the ones they tried to sell me) would have put him into a deep sleep for 6-8 hours daily. The drug problem in todays society isn't just for humans. Why do we always try to fix things that aren't broken? Docs prescribe anti depressants to people who have had a loved one die and are sad, well guess what, they have a right to be sad, the feelings are valid and need to be worked through. Life is not always pleasent and thats because its not supposed to be. If there was never sad times how could we appreciate the happy times? If there were never hard times we could never learn from our mistakes and know to do it different the next time around.

I know that there are times when medications are necessary at times but living life is also necessary. We should not be so quick to say it's time to medicate. Life is not always easy, it was never meant to be. Was just something I was thinking about...

Old 11-17-2003, 11:34 PM   #7
Inactive
(female)

Jennita HB User
And right you are, FreeSpirit.

As I said on another thread, I think giving dogs antidepressants and tranquilizers is a form of cruelity....they cannot tell you if the pills make them feel ill from side effects, tolerance, paradoxial reactions, rebound or withdrawals! Come to think of it, neither can very young children, yet they are given drugs too.

Last edited by Jennita; 11-17-2003 at 11:36 PM.

Old 11-18-2003, 06:42 AM   #8

szarkam HB User
I am concerned because now after talking to the school my daughters counselor wants me to consider meds for her. I really don't want to put a 6 yr old on meds until I have exhausted all my other options. We have been on the becalm'd for a week, but no noticed improvement by me :-(

Old 11-18-2003, 09:42 AM   #9
Senior Veteran

I'm sorry if you were expecting immidiate improvement, it's just not gonna happen. Supplements can take anywhere from a week to two months to begin working. Also you may need to work in the third dose.

Also, try giving it 1 hour before or 2 hours after meals instead of 25min.

There are other things you can add to her treatment plan to go along with supplements. There are some great books on behavior therapy that are aimed at getting kids off ritalin. Go to the library and check out some of those then apply the behavioral techniques in your household.

What symptoms are most bothersome for her at school? Hyperactivity or inattentiveness? Is she getting accomodations (she is entitled to these even if she is not on medication!!!)

Something to add, many school counselors push medication without even knowing the child. My little brothers counselor at school pushed mother to medicate him, she also came to class DAILY and HARRASSED my little brother!!! Telling him he needed to be on this medication and it would be helpful. He is now not taking any medication at all, he is well behaved at home, a loveable kids, AND doing well in school.

You may want to enroll her is some type of help if she is doing badly, the Sylvan Learning center perhaps?

Don't be pressured by what the school says.

1 week with one supplement is certainly not enough to resort to medication...

Last edited by * Free ~ Spirit *; 11-18-2003 at 09:46 AM.

Old 11-18-2003, 09:48 AM   #10

szarkam HB User
An hour before or 2 hours after is not an option since I don't want her to take them to school. She is getting a third pill after school.
I have been reading up on behavior modification.
She attends indidviual therapy 2x a month and a "group peer therapy" every week.
The thing the teacher complains about most is her calling out in class and wanting to "be in charge". She completes all her work and is fairly neat, but because she wants to be in control some of the children do not like to play with her. She does well with older children though.
I plan to continue the becalm'd for a few more weeks before I make any decision about other meds.

Thanks for your help

Old 11-18-2003, 11:04 AM   #11
Senior Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by szarkam
An hour before or 2 hours after is not an option since I don't want her to take them to school. She is getting a third pill after school.
I have been reading up on behavior modification.
She attends indidviual therapy 2x a month and a "group peer therapy" every week.
The thing the teacher complains about most is her calling out in class and wanting to "be in charge". She completes all her work and is fairly neat, but because she wants to be in control some of the children do not like to play with her. She does well with older children though.
I plan to continue the becalm'd for a few more weeks before I make any decision about other meds.

Thanks for your help
Please remember beCalmd is NOT the only alternative treatment out there. 25minutes along with anything besides a small bit of carbs will reduce the effectiveness of the beCalmd by around 60-75%. If you cannot get the dosing right for this to work maybe you should think about another supplement that can be taken along with food, or only needs to be taken once per day on an empty stomach. If she is able to complete all of her work on time and neatly, well that doesnt sound like ADD even. Just because a child is bossy is not grounds for an ADD diagnosis. Does she have any symptoms of ADD that you hear others talk about? If her problem is being bossy, I can't say that beCalmd will work for sure. As far as calling out (caused by hyperactivity?) Can you work on patiance. Do things like meditation? Taurine is helpful for hyperactivity.

Besides the bossiness do you see the core ADHD symptoms in your daughter? If so, which ones do YOU see? If not do you think the problem could be something else? I'm only asking because from what youve just said it sounds like she completes her work in a regular amount of time, and does it neatly, and you didn't mention any of the core ADD symptoms.

Here's something to do to get some important insight, sit and talk to your daughter, ask her why she is bossy, why she is loud in class, and how she feels about her behavior.

Old 11-18-2003, 11:19 AM   #12

szarkam HB User
Any suggestions on other supplements would be greatly appreciated - we already tried ATTEND for 2 months and saw no real improvement
As for what she eats in the morning - usually a glass of milk & dry cereal or a plain bagel - so I thought that might be okay since it is basic carbs.

I have talked to her, she tells me sometimes she just can't help herself when she calls out - the neuroogist said she has all the impulsivity characteristics, and some of the hyperactive ones as well, but she did not feel that medication was necessary especially since her academics were not suffering.
She has had some negative behaviors with her peers when she doesn'r get her way she tends to push or yell and they counselor is worried about the social aspects of her development as well as self esteem. She has friends and does well with older children.
I am not in a rush to medicate believe me, but when 2 diiferent therapists as well as the school counselor suggest it, I wonder if I am doing the right thing. The ped and neurologist said they didn't think it was necessary but they are not the ones that have seen the negative social behaviors, even I don't see all of them since they are present when she is at school.
I am confused as to what to do.

The fact that she is telling me that she can't help it makes me wonder if medication is a consideration.

Sometimes I think she is only 6 after all and life is a lot tougher for kids these days then it was for us - everything is so structured that they don't get a chance to express themselves properly either.

Sorry for rambling - just REALLY CONFUSED!!!!

Old 11-18-2003, 08:42 PM   #13
Senior Veteran

szarkam,
Ok, third time trying to post this, my power keeps going out, pretty windy tonight.

"we already tried ATTEND for 2 months and saw no real improvement" -

Only in rare cases would someone see improvement with this product. It is pretty useless. It has some good ingrediants but in very small amounts. This is why they don't list the ingrediants and amounts on the site. I had to do a special request in order to get the amount of each ingrediant of Attend and was stunned to find out how little of each thing it contained. I posted the amounts a while back.

"As for what she eats in the morning - usually a glass of milk & dry cereal or a plain bagel"

Nope, this isn't ok, the bagel is carbs but the milk is full of protien!!!

"I have talked to her, she tells me sometimes she just can't help herself when she calls out - the neuroogist said she has all the impulsivity characteristics, and some of the hyperactive ones as well, but she did not feel that medication was necessary especially since her academics were not suffering."

She does not sound like she is disabled by her symptoms. As you know I would only recomend medication to those who safer treatments have failed and who need medication in order to function in daily life. Calling out is impulsive, but she is still a kid. Some people continue to have brain growth well into their 20's. Do you think that her symptoms are disabling to the point of her not being able to function?

"She has had some negative behaviors with her peers when she doesn'r get her way she tends to push or yell and they counselor is worried about the social aspects of her development as well as self esteem."

With the symptoms she shows even though some are of ADHD she sounds more like she could have ODD, without ADHD. These kids like to be in control, argue with adults etc.

" She has friends and does well with older children."

Nothing wrong with that, if older kids accept her then she must be more mature than her peers. (in some ways that is, how she relates to people, things like that)

"I am not in a rush to medicate believe me, but when 2 diiferent therapists as well as the school counselor suggest it, I wonder if I am doing the right thing."

Calling out in class and being bossy does not seem like a problem bad enough to medicate, however I'm not there to see how severe it is. If you do choose to medicate there is a natural supplement that is by prescription only. It is sometimes used as an anti depressant and may be helpful for your daughter since she is only hyperactive/impulsive. It is called L-tryptophan.

"I am confused as to what to do."

Does your daughter think she needs to be on medication? If you ask her this question in an environment where she feels safe, and make sure not to try to sway her answer in one direction or another then you will get an honest answer.

"The fact that she is telling me that she can't help it makes me wonder if medication is a consideration."

Supplements and vitamins can have the same calming effects on behaviors (when they work that is) I could not help myself from doing several things, medication didn't help all that much, with the supplements and other treatments (meditation, things like that) I am able to control these once "uncontrollable" behaviors. Like I said though, ask her if she thinks she needs it. It doesn't have to be forever, but please make sure you know the risks and are sure that her behaviors need medication, I mean, is she hurting herself or others???

"Sometimes I think she is only 6 after all and life is a lot tougher for kids these days then it was for us - everything is so structured that they don't get a chance to express themselves properly either."

Very true.

Honestly if I'd have known that her problems were only behavioral issues,(impulsivity/hyperactivity) I would have suggested some other supplements.

Here are some suggestions of some that you may be able to get pretty cheap:
Taurine
L-glutamine
GABA
5-HTP
(not all at once!)

What medication does the doctor want to try? What did they tell you about what to expect and what the side effects may be?

Old 11-19-2003, 06:36 AM   #14

szarkam HB User
I have a call into the ped to make an appt to discuss this all with him.
The thing is the fact that she is in trouble most days at school does not make it easy. She says she doesn't know why she does the "bad" things and would like more friends and "happy days" So now I am worried

Thanks so much for all your suggestions.

Old 11-19-2003, 11:07 AM   #15
Inactive
(female)

Jennita HB User
It's hard to say what causes kids to be aggressive. I know my husband was an aggressive kid...his dad was extremely strict and I guess that was his way of acting out....he got into lots of fights. He still is a bit of a control freak and wants to be in charge....hmmm, that might be a good thing sometimes because his forward drive has earned him becoming the boss at his work.

Maybe some sort of psychotherapy might uncover something for your daughter? It really sounds like that may be all she needs.

Closed Thread