It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Tourette Syndrome Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-07-2004, 01:25 PM   #1
Veteran
(female)

2cutekids HB User
Question autism vs tourette's/ adhd... ?

can these go hand in hand. What about ADHD? My friend has a 8yo ds that is dx with tourette's and she and his school think it is autism, but the dr wont hear anything about it. He has such bad rages that he is home for school almost more that in. He rages at her over everthing... she don't know what to do... she lives in the UK and has very hard time getting to see dr's, guess cause of the health care or something....

Any help would be great....

Old 07-07-2004, 02:29 PM   #2
(female)

sunnybrook HB User
Re: autism vs tourette's/ adhd... ?

Hello, my ds who is also 8 years old has been diagnosed with Asperger's Syndrome and Adhd. The psychiatrist that diagnosed him told us that it is not unusal to have more than one diagnosis. I have also heard of people with the diagnosis of Add or Adhd having tics or tourette's syndrome too. I don't know how health care works in the UK since I live in the USA. But if possible I would ask for a second opinion since her son is having problems. Hope she finds someone to help her son. Best wishes.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 07-07-2004, 03:13 PM   #3

GabesMom HB User

My 8yo ds has a dx of Asperger's/OCD/ADHD/Tourettes, so yes they definately go hand in hand. He also has issues with rages and lunges at people quite often. He also is at home more often than at school. Offiicially I think he missed 34 days this last school year, but I know he was sent home much more than that. I think my email/messenger info is in my profile if you want to ask me anything, or just discuss this more outside of the MB.

Old 07-07-2004, 04:28 PM   #4
Inactive

memehegan HB User

Sounds very fustrating. Had several years like that with Jay (one year he was restrained 33 times) but this year his teacher has a background in special ed -autism as did his 1-1 - just purely by chance and her personal devotion- but what an incredible difference- he went from being unable to write at kindergarten level-more of a central processing issue- to writing at a fourth grade (hies 13 and just finished 7th grade) anddddddddddddd he averaged 90.5 (honor roll!) for the school year- with only three classes with the special ed teacher! He mainstreamed spanish and his quater grades were 98,100,100,and 100! At first the cse chairperson didnt even want to let him take spanish but I and his teacher insisted that we let him try. I also suspect if he has tourettes but the doc said when I asked "how many diagnosis do you want him to have- echolalia is not uncommon in PDD and asperbergers and left it at that but Iam sure that if he had to live with a tourettes child at 5 am he'd get around to diagnosising it! It goes away (almost) with ritilin. -meme

Last edited by memehegan; 07-07-2004 at 04:30 PM.

Old 07-07-2004, 11:31 PM   #5

edaisy80 HB User
Wink Re: autism vs tourette's/ adhd... ?

Hi. New to board. Son had Autism and ADHD. He's only 6 years old. He was just diagnosed with autism this year and with ADHD in September. It took alot to get him to where he is. . They said that he was severly speech delayed and developmentally delayed when he was about 33 months old. I tried to get them to do futher testing. They told me no they would test him when he was 5. When he was 5 they said no his they will test him when he goes to Kindergarden. I had to get his teacher to write a letter to the doctor recommending them test him for ADHD. Of course if you knew him you would have know he was ADHD. Then the doctor sent us to a phycologist for futher testing. She first diagnoised him with OCD (on day one). Then after futher testing she diagnoised him with mild-moderate Autism, AHDH(which we already knew) and OCD. His teacher has been great. Hopefully he will be with her again in Auguest whn school stsrts back. She's been a special education teacher for 18 years. Sometimes its really hard to deal with Caleb but somedays are ok. He's fine as long as he can carry around an action figure example Hulk, Spider-man, or Batman. But if you take it away he throws a tantrum. I don't know if your kids have eating habits like Caleb or not. He will only eat certain foods. And if you try to make him try something new he makes himself throw up. He loves chicken noodle soup but one day he didnt' have any at school so his teacher gave him goldfish shaped pasta in chicken broth. He refused to eat it. Sometimes its hard to know if he will eat what we think he likes. I guess he just gets burned out on it and wants something that he would usually like but he doen't really eat it at the same time. Example he like chicken nuggets but he will eat them for about a week and then he won't want them for another 6 weeks. So we have to sometimes go to the store and buy them just so he will eat. Sorry for such along post. It may not make much sense. I'm half asleep right now trying to type. (this is my Caleb)

Old 07-08-2004, 06:29 PM   #6
Inactive

memehegan HB User

Wpw sounds like a lot to deal with. I am so happy that you have a teacher your are comfortable. There is alot of information about how to teach autistic kids-the approach is somewhat different because often their behaviors are perceieve as defiant or oppositional when in fact they are coping behaviors- their little idyosynic obsessions are really security blankets that create safty zones. mY son from age till about almost 8 was so carefree and fear free- I was terrified I would loose him forever - and that the mall security would just get around to posting a permanent pic of his cause I lost him soooo many times- I always dressed him in bright neon colors to. so it kinda stumped me that around age 10 he refused to leave the house to go to the mall/store anymore- he would taz- finally as I dragged him down stairs screaming a kicking- needed groceeries and there was no way he was staying home alone- he screamed that he was afraid I woudl lose him at the store! Talk about popin your eyes open- the only reason 'I' ever lost him was cause he yanked away out of my hand a hid! But it was his new found fear so we made a saftey plan of where to meet and how to page me. His behaviors are always a communication- its just helping the world around him understand the communication! I read some books by Temple Grandin who helped me understand my son tremendously! -meme

Old 07-08-2004, 06:59 PM   #7
(female)

Biblophile HB User

I think it's very hard to accurately settle on a label since so many of the nereo issues have symptoms in common. I have a friend who was misdx as Tourette's, and OCD until she was a jr in high school, when she got reevaluated at a really good mental health center, and it turned out that she has Asperger's Syndrome.

Closed Thread