It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Tourette Syndrome Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-15-2004, 06:04 AM   #1
Veteran
(female)

2cutekids HB User
Tourette's Syndrome....?

I have a online friend that has a child with Touretts and she is having a lot of problems with him. He is 8 (I think) and it pretty out of control... has MAJOR rages and is getting pretty violent. The have him on some meds, but most dont really help at all. She seems to think that he may have a touch of Autism there also, but no one will believe her (she is from the UK *Wells*) so there medical pratices are alittle different...

ANy tips for her on how to handle him. How to make it better so he doesn't rage so much...ect... she is out of ideas....

Thanks

Old 10-16-2004, 05:43 AM   #2

fouroutafive HB User
Re: Tourette's Syndrome....?

i also have a daughter with tourettes. she can be very difficult to deal with at times so i totaly understand where your friend is coming from. i did wonder what sort of rages he is having, and how often. i also wondered if they seem to go away for a few weeks or months and then return. i wondered because earlyonset bipolar disorder can be a problem for some children with touretts. since they often need to be treated individualy that may be the reason they have had limited success. i have had a hard time convincing drs. in my area that early onset bipolar even exists, but there is literature out there and even extensive studies done. your friend should read as much as she can and then present it to her dr. if she thinks it describes her son. the big difference between the two rages, is that bipolar often comes in cycles. my daughter is in a rage cycle from about april through october, but the rest of the time is a fairly level headed child. as children withthese disorders enter puberty, the problems will often increase in intensity, so she will want to look into it as soon as posible. i do hope this has been helpful. i think the name of the book i read on this was called the bipolar child. i wish her luck!

Last edited by fouroutafive; 10-16-2004 at 05:46 AM.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 10-16-2004, 06:09 AM   #3

girlygal HB User

Dear fouratafive
I also have a son with tourettes syndrome he is five, how old is your daughter my son is very difficult to deal with at times especially when the tourettes is out he has tics does your daughter? I am hoping it does not get worse as he gets older as it comes and goes now. He is in a small class at school because he does not like to be in a big crowd he does well in school but when he comes home everything changes the school says that is because he holds it in all day while he is there. He knows he has ts and when his head is ticking he says it does not let me stop I feel so bad but I told him he is special, so now he says I am special I have tourette syndrome I dont ever want him to be embarrassed of it. I do not know anyone with a child who has this. Just wanted to see if your daughter is like my son. Thanks

Old 11-14-2004, 05:41 PM   #4

fouroutafive HB User

hi girly gal, i just realized you wrote this. i hope you get my reply. my daughter has several ticks. many head ticks and her face ticks quite a bit too. im sorry to have to say that it often does get worse as they get older, often around puberty, which is where my daughter is at. she is also bipolar, which ads a certain amount of difficulty also. i hope you arent dealing with that on top of the tourretts. it is a very difficult dissorder to deal with, but it is managable. she tries so hard to not tick sometimes, i have to remind her to be who she is and if it makes her feel less tense she needs to allow it to happen. we do try to remind her out in public to try to control it. i dont know anyone else with this dissorder either. so i know where your coming from. sorry it took so long to reply! best of luck!

Closed Thread