It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Tourette Syndrome Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-17-2006, 11:39 AM   #1
(female)

worm HB User
Question Is it a tourette tic or just a adhd thing

My son has adhd and he has different behaviours that manifest at different times. He seems to go from Chewing everything even his clothes, to facial tics to verbal tics. He is always making noise, i.e. singing or nonsense noises. Is this normal? or is this seven or what?

Old 02-17-2006, 03:48 PM   #2
Inactive
(female)

Spin444 HB User
Re: Is it a tourette tic or just a adhd thing

If he's on a drug for his attention problems, yes, it's not out of the ordinary. Ritalin and the rest can Tourette's Syndrome. My cousin's son now blinks his eyes very hard. He didn't have the problem before being medicated.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 02-17-2006, 06:41 PM   #3
Veteran
(female)

SuchGreatHeight HB User

If your son is on medications, and has not had those tics before medicating, it might be a good idea to get him off stimilunats (i.e Ritalin, Adderall), if that is what he takes. If he is not on medication, facial and verbal tics are not usually a part of ADHD. But the behaviors such as chewing clothing and making noised is regual ADHD quirks.

But you're talking to an Tourettes/ADHDer here, so I can only talk from experince. Some people with only ADHD symptoms may have some tics. But if your son's get too bad or happen too often, I'd look into it severely.

SGH

Old 02-18-2006, 10:27 AM   #4
(female)

threenorns HB User

in my experience, THE definitive tic for tourette's is the one that makes it look like the kid's trying to according the nose up until the tip touches the forehead, while the eyebrows scrunch down and together hard and the eyes may or may not roll up or off to the side.

if he's got that one and he's in the 7 to 10 age range, then i'd get him evaluated for tourette's.

if he has tourette's, you will probably find ADHD meds are more problem than the ADHD.

my daughter started when she was about six or seven with the odd behaviour. we just wrote it off as being six or seven. she would suddenly yell FOOFOO!!!!! and when we said ***!? what was that? she would just shrug.

then the throat clearing - "hem-hem-hem-hem-HEM!!!" over and over.

then the sniffing like she was clearing her nose.

then the sudden EEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE!!!!!!!!!!!! ! at a frequency that could knock bats unconscious in mid-air.

she was nine when the physical tics started and that';s when i had her checked and "damn...."

Last edited by threenorns; 02-18-2006 at 10:33 AM.

Old 02-19-2006, 01:08 AM   #5
Senior Veteran
(female)

index.html HB User

Worm,

Yes, those sound very much like tics and, depending on the length of time this has been going on, it may be diagnosed as Tourette's. Best to see the doctor!

Old 02-19-2006, 05:04 PM   #6
(female)

nickkaylee HB User

My 11 year old went through a phase where he chewed on everything. He ruined shirts and a jacket by chewing on the top of them and he chewed on sleeves of some of his shirts also. He doesn't do it as much anymore but chews on his fingernails a lot and pencils. He also sometimes makes funny noises. He howls like a dog sometimes ar does this higher pitched yelling noises...almost like trying to sing opera but not quite. It looks/sounds completely foolish when he does it but it isn't a tick...at least not with him. He does it on purpose. I have no idea why and it drives me absolutely crazy. He really acts sometimes like he's retarded but I know he's not (that wasn't meant to be insulting to anyone). Hope this helps some.

Old 02-19-2006, 07:36 PM   #7
Veteran
(female)

SuchGreatHeight HB User

nickkaylee: I don't think many people use the word "retarded" anymore. Not offended, just tired of hearing it.

But to move on, my brother did the same thing as your son. He chewed on shirts (complete holes), his fingers (until they bled), pencils, anything. He also made sudden loud screeches. He grew out of the screeches and sudden movements, but he still chews holes in his cloths and fingers (he's 20).

Worm: Small tics and movements can be a part of ADHD, (I'm going to repeat myself here ) but if he didn't have those before meds, or they are increasing (with or without meds), take him off or be VERY careful choosing medications. I always had small tics but they multiplied after a year of medications (been off for a while, but tics still strong).

SGH

Closed Thread