HealthBoards

HealthBoards (http://www.healthboards.com/boards/)
-   Tourette Syndrome (http://www.healthboards.com/boards/tourette-syndrome/)
-   -   tourettes and ocd (http://www.healthboards.com/boards/tourette-syndrome/389729-tourettes-ocd.html)

curt1970 05-08-2006 10:34 AM

tourettes and ocd

sorry to post again, but I wanted to add this in my last e-mail and I forgot. I was just wondering if anyone here also shas Tourettes Syndrome? I think I read a few posts about those who do. I also have it, mild case but do have the physical and mental tics, which include clinching my neck, blinking my eyes, tensing my stomach and making a grunting noise which no one ever notices because I can hold it in front of people. I let out a few gunts when I am alone, cannot help it but I have to let them out. Was just wondering if our ocd is different or harder to treat than those who do not have tourettes syndrome. Also are there any new treatments coming out to help iwtht tourettes syndrome...... Just wanted to see what others with tourettes syndrome go through with their ocd

visions 05-09-2006 10:39 PM

Re: tourettes and ocd

Ocd and tourettes are two different disorders and the treatments are different. I would recommond you see a good CBT and get properly evaluated so you can get into treatment for both of these problems.

ihatemyocd 07-15-2006 09:41 AM

Honestly, I'd be VERY careful in the confusion between tourettes and ocd. MANY ocd tics/compulsions/habits can be misinterpretted as tourettes. The need to do it can feel VERY similiar to an uncontrollably force such as tourettes

indecisivelyn 07-16-2006 06:14 PM

I'm glad you posted this thread. I'm very confused about OCD and tourettes. I no doubt have OCD. However, I do feel the need to do certain things, neck twitching, raising eyebrows and the latest is moving my eyes up and down...I told my psychiatrist, I may have borderline tourettes, and is if I wasn't having a bad enough day, he says, they usually coexist so now I'm really confused.

indecisivelyn 07-16-2006 06:14 PM

I'm glad you posted this thread. I'm very confused about OCD and tourettes. I no doubt have OCD. However, I do feel the need to do certain things, neck twitching, raising eyebrows and the latest is moving my eyes up and down...I told my psychiatrist, I may have borderline tourettes, and is if I wasn't having a bad enough day, he says, they usually coexist so now I'm really confused.

jen_thomson 07-19-2006 02:35 PM

My son has OCD and Tourettes. We talk openly about our OCD, since it is something we share. He has told me that his verbal tics and tourettes compulsions feel "like a sneeze"...he can feel them coming, but he doesn't feel the "doom" he feels with his OCD. His doctor said that his tourettes would lessen once puberty hit, and he was right. My son now has very few tics, verbal or otherwise. It flares up a bit when he's very tired. He no longer takes Paxil, which is what he was prescribed when he was younger. He responds to his OCD therapy and medication as well as I do, and I don't have tourettes.

sheepofgreen 07-20-2006 05:42 PM

I just recently read that tourettes and OCD are very much related, and stem from a probelm in the same part of the brain. I also read that people that have family members with tourettes also have a much greater chance of having OCD themselves. I wish all of you guys the best of luck and hope things get better for you.

Sammy1000 08-23-2006 11:04 AM

What is a CBT please?