It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Tourette Syndrome Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-29-2006, 07:35 PM   #1
(female)

momof4boys HB User
Lightbulb Anyone Have RLS and Tourettes too?

Hello!

Today I had an interesting conversation with my children in which I asked them what their legs feel like when they fall asleep. All of them said nothing except for the one that has Tourettes. He said he has a feeling like bugs are crawling on him.

I asked them because I had rls when growing up(thankfully it went away after pregnancy) I never mentioned it to my children before and they have never heard me talk about it to anyone.

I also have mild tourettes.

I have sister and my Father that have RLS.

OK so to get to the question.....

Does anyone else that has RLS suffer from tics either vocal or motor? Or vise versa.

Is this common to have both?

Thanks!

Old 07-01-2006, 07:32 PM   #2

LonelyTraveler HB User
Re: Anyone Have RLS and Tourettes too?

Hi

I have both Tourette's Syndrome (w/cursing) as well as RLS. I usually jerk my head back and forth violently and scream "F YOU!!!" (but the real word) to my room mate all day. Once, I was in line at the post office and screamed the "N" word and then turned around to see a huge Afro-American man behind me and I was so embarrassed, I could have just died right there on the spot!. As a result, I don't have any "real" friends and spend much of my time in the house. Sometimes I take Klonopin for the Tourette's and it seems to work (a little). I've just learned to live with it I guess but it sure is not any fun. I also suffer from alcohol addiction, Generalized Anxiety Disorder, Hypochondria, Panic Disorder, Depression, etc.

- Regards, LT

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 08-20-2006, 06:31 PM   #3
(female)

Sammy1000 HB User

I have had RLS all my life. My father had it and out of 7 children, 5 of us have it. I was just diagnosed with tourettes, by a throat doctor a few days ago. the worst part of the tourettes for me is constant choking and clearing of my throat. I have many more symptoms that are not that bothersome. I have learned to live with him. I can hardly sleep at all because I choke all day and night. I am going to a neurologist soon and I hope they will find a way to stop me from choking. I hate living like this. I have had the choking in spells for about ten years but since January it has been constant. Its been a nightmare. At one point I was even vomitting from choking so hard, but at least we got that under control. This choking stuff has changed my social life drastically. No one wants to be around someone who is constantly choking. I have seen people back away from me when I do it. I find myself apologizing to people for it and tell them that I am not contagious, just allergic. My poor husband listens to this all day and night and we have had to start sleeping in separate rooms. I hate this!

Old 08-31-2006, 08:05 PM   #4
(female)

momof4boys HB User

Im sorry to hear that you are going through this.
I hate cold season because everytime I hear someone cough, I cough too. Or clear my throat too. They must think I'm a copy cat.
I also constantly rub my nose which is really itchy. It reminds me of the rls in my legs. It is a tingling sensation.

There a couple research places for Tourettes that are free and pay you to participate. My son is in one right now, in our city at a college, that is a non medicated study that gets him to relax and change the tic to something else more socially acceptable.
i don't know if I can post the name of it or not. But it is in the largest city in my state at the college named for the city. They also have them at other cities in the country.

Closed Thread