It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Tourette Syndrome Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-12-2006, 07:40 PM   #1
Senior Veteran
(female)

tattoogirl HB User
tourette syndrome

Anyone out there have a child with tourette syndrome? Need to discuss/ask advice and questions.
Bella

Old 07-12-2006, 11:01 PM   #2
(female)

calgarygirl HB User
Re: tourette syndrome

Hi, I have a 15 year old son with Tourette's, he was diagnosed as having "tics" when he was 9 and has been on medication since then. I will try my best to help you out with any questions you may have, ask away.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 07-13-2006, 06:09 AM   #3
Senior Veteran
(female)

tattoogirl HB User

My son is 5 and is having "tics". I have been noticing it for awhile now and need to make an appointment with his doctor. He will blink constantly and kinda crook his neck, clear his throat constantly and make a grunting sort of sound. It started with just the blinking and head thing, the sounds just started in the last couple of weeks. Any reccomendations on the type of doctor he should go to? I was going to start with his peditrician and go from there.

How does your son cope? What medication is he on? Any advice?
Thanks!
Bella

Old 07-13-2006, 06:29 AM   #4
(female)

mitpatsmom HB User

My son also has tics (he's 11-y-o). Our pediatrician referred us to a neurologist, and he put my son on Tenex (also called guanfacine). This has taken the edge off the tics for the most part. They still show up when he is excited about something.

The medication was a little scary at first. It knocked him out a lot in the beginning, but he grew a tolerance for it. Also, he's always done fairly well in school, but after putting him on the medication, he's been getting straight A's on his report card. The doctor thinks it's probably helping with concentration.

Old 07-13-2006, 05:56 PM   #5
(female)

calgarygirl HB User

My son was referred to a neurologist from our family doctor-she is also a pediatrician. He was put on Clonidine when he was almost 10 and the only side effects he has had from this medication is sleepiness and occassional dizzyness. It has helped alot with his vocal tics and helped calm down his motor tics. His tics become more noticable when he is stressed or excited. He hasn't had too many problems in school, there was one year when the kids would ask him why he would jerk a certain way and that same year some kids poked fun of him but for the most part I've had a harder time with him having tics then he has. It has not affected him academically at all-he is very smart and does well in school. He tends to supress his tics while at school as much as he can and then releases the tics when he gets home-where he feels more comfortable to do so. They are the worst when he just gets home from school. I have heard that the earlier tics show up in a child that there is a greater chance that they outgrow them in their mid-late teens. As I said, my son is 15 and they haven't changed much since they started when he was 9. Be supportive and don't treat him any differently and he will not feel any different himself and use the medication if you feel it will be helpful in your situation. Good Luck.

Old 07-13-2006, 07:40 PM   #6
Senior Veteran
(female)

tattoogirl HB User

Thank you! Ya, I don't make it a big issue. Just want to get him some help. I feel so bad. It is kinda scary when you recognize things in your children. What a blessing it would be if he will grow out of it. He is still young so people really haven't said anything. He is going to Kindergarten next year and I know as kids get older they can be cruel. He is very smart and has an amazing outgoing personality, and lots of friends. Just want him to feel safe and happy. I am hoping these tics/sounds won't increase. Do they ever increase or decrease? Once again, thank you for your help.
Bella

Old 07-13-2006, 09:19 PM   #7
(female)

calgarygirl HB User

I know my son's tics are aggravated by stress and excitement. They do seem to come and go and his tics do change-he'll have 2 or 3 tics for weeks or even months and then have a new tic and drop one of his older tics and then a few weeks later he may have all the original tics he started with that year. Most of my son's tics are facial but he has had a couple body tics in the past. Tourettes/tics are normally inherited from what I've read-are there others in the family with tics? It also portrays itself as OCD especially in girls. Alot of children with tics also get diagnosed with ADD, ADHD, OCD, Bi-polar but my son has been fortunate enough to just have tics and that's tough enough. Good luck to you and your son and I hope you can get an assessment quickly.

Old 07-14-2006, 05:44 AM   #8
Senior Veteran
(female)

tattoogirl HB User

His father has ADD and my sister has Bi-polar. I had really bad post partum after he was born and do have anxiety off and on. I asked him to talk to his family to see if anybody has them. I am not aware if anyone on my side does. His tics are also just from the neck up. And he clears his throat/nose alot...sometimes like a grunting sound. I thought it was allergies at first but it happens waaaaaay too much. He is taking a week vacation with his grandparents and when he comes back I intend to take him to the doctors. Anything I need to tell them that is helpful? Any advice on how to help him decrease these tics, anything I can do? Thank you calgarygirl!
Bella

Last edited by moderator2; 07-14-2006 at 02:41 PM.

Old 07-14-2006, 06:21 AM   #9
(female)

mitpatsmom HB User

I've heard that some ADD meds cause tics, so those poor children have to deal with a double blow. My son is slightly OCD, but not to the degree that it causes problems. It's been a benefit, since he is very meticulous about taking his pills on time.

He starts middle school this year, so I'm a little concerned. He'll know most of the kids there, so I'm hoping they won't pick on him. Most of his friends don't seem to even notice the tics. The neurologist told him that if someone says anything about them, to just play it down, so if someone asks he says, "Everyone has a habit, this one is mine. It's better than picking my nose." (Which he won't do because of the "germaphobia" part of the OCD.)

As far as what you can do to help (other than medication), my neurologist suggested getting him in activities that require concentration and self-discipline, such as martial arts.

I've heard that 1 in 4 boys develop some kind of tic in their lifetime. I know my brother used to get different ones. My mother-in-law has several (and she's 80 years old.) I just hope that my son outgrows his.

Best of luck to you and your son.

Old 07-14-2006, 08:37 AM   #10
Senior Veteran
(female)

tattoogirl HB User

mitspatsmom-
Thank you for your response. My son is actually taking karate right now. He loves it. So it is really good to know this is helpful. He just finished up swimming lessons and we re-enrolled him. I noticed he had a real hard time concentrating during the lessons...easily distracted. He also likes order, not to the point of OCD but certain things he doesn't like disturbed and enjoys counting things (but I attribute that to his age). I made an appointment with his pediatrician for August 1st and also e-mailed for info from the TSA. Thank you, once again.
Bella

Old 07-14-2006, 08:56 AM   #11
Senior Veteran
(female)

GatsbyLuvr1920 HB UserGatsbyLuvr1920 HB UserGatsbyLuvr1920 HB User

It's very possible to have OCD and not have Tourette's (I'm one example), but it's nearly impossible to have Tourette's and not have some obsessive-compulsive traits/symptoms. A person with Tourette's may not have full-blown OCD, but there will almost always be some obsessive-compulsiveness present. The reason the two are so closely related is because they both involve a part of the brain called the basal ganglia, which is responsible for motor movements and coordination and repetition. It is supposed to filter out excess sensory information, but often fails in these disorders. The echolalia (repeating of words, phrases, and/or sentences) sometimes seen in Tourette's is also a prominent symptom in autism, which also is a disorder that exhibits obsessive-compulsive traits, though not necessarily total OCD; I also have Asperger's, and some echolalia dealing with movie/TV quotes. If you have any questions on OCD, feel free to ask! Good luck, and God bless!
-GatsbyLuvr1920-

Last edited by GatsbyLuvr1920; 07-14-2006 at 08:59 AM.

Old 07-14-2006, 10:37 AM   #12
Senior Veteran
(female)

tattoogirl HB User

Thank you for that wealth of information. I notice he does have some OCD traits but not too extreme...just with certain things. He has really good motor skills and coordination. His teachers (pre-school) always say he appears and acts much older than he is. It was like that when he was a baby too. I sometimes felt people expected more from him because they were unaware he was younger then they thought. He is quite intelligent. He seems to have good social skills, all the kids gravitate to him. His father says, "he is a bit of a class clown." His dad was one growing up. His father has ADD, if that has any bearing. He does go off on tangents talking about pretty complex things and wants to know details about everything but I think it is because he is 5 and learning so much. I thought maybe these "tics" have increased because he no longer gets naps at school and he really needs sleep. The teachers would say he sleeps longer than all the kids and it is impossible to wake him up (he does get at least 9 hrs if not more sleep every night). His dad was and is the same way with sleep. Forget about trying to wake him up. I don't want to over analyze his every behavior now. But he is going to kindergarten next year and I think it so important to see what we are dealing with. It kinda makes me sad to think he may start having problems in school. He recently started saying he hates school, which he liked so much in the past but again I attribute that to his age.

THANK YOU EVERYONE for your help!
Bella

Last edited by moderator2; 07-14-2006 at 02:41 PM. Reason: If you are responding to the last poster, please do not quote the post.

Old 07-14-2006, 01:16 PM   #13
(female)

calgarygirl HB User

Finding something that he enjoys to do is the key and does seem to reduce the severity of the tics-maybe it is because they are so busy concentrating on something they like to do!! I'm glad you have an appoinment booked with a neurologist and remember that medication isn't for everyone. I chose to use the Clonidine because his vocal tics were disturbing others in the class room and the medication has helped with this. Remember to do follow-up appointments with the neurologist because the meds will need to be increased with age/growth to be effective.

Old 07-14-2006, 01:56 PM   #14
(male)

MarkTS HB User

Well I have acute TS that I didn't grow out of as an adult so I'm sure I can be some help. I have ADHD, OCD and OCB traits with many motor and vocal tics. First keep in mind that meds are hit and miss and also keep an eye out for side effects and some can be very bad. I've been on so many meds and been in hospitals so much I couldn't even count how many. One of the reasons I talk about my brother and how much he did for me as a kid was because of this below. The first medication I was on was Haldol and this caused my jaw to lock closed while at school in the bathroom. I had a bad stuffy nose from the Florida heat as this was just after PE so a locked jaw closed along with a stuffy nose made it very hard to breathe. Well I was in a more rural area so by the time I could get myself to a teacher and get EMS to the school I stopped breathing. I suffered brain damage that made the right side of my body very very weak and I mean very weak to the point I had great trouble walking as I would fall over.

I also took a drug called Risperadol that gave me severe sensitivity to light, sound and touch along with weight gain of 110 pounds within a six month period so I was taken off of this drug very fast. For the most part that is my life with drugs in that they either do nothing of anything or they nearly kill me or create so much pain.

One thing I will say is that if your kid has many motor tics please keep in mind your kids might get moody as they will get tired (not sleep tired) from ticcing and this can make any kid moody so that is a key to helping your kids. Beyond that I still have many tics but they aren't anywhere as bad as what they were as a kid. Also as many have said TS kids can still be smart as I'm very very very smart on some things. Think Mensa smart if that gives you an idea so with that said don't treat it as a curse but more a blessing with a few tests thrown in. Also some TS kids have extreme talent with art and music but that is sadly a talent I don't have as I love music.

Old 07-14-2006, 02:39 PM   #15
Senior Veteran
(female)

tattoogirl HB User

Wow. Thank you for sharing. If you saw in one of my other posts I had severe post-partum after my son was born, I was put on risperadol....not at all fun and a slew of other psychiatric meds. I caution using meds. My sister is on some pretty strong ones and it seems like an endless circle. I had learning disabilities as a child and after much testing (since 1st grade) my parents were told I had a very high IQ....the reason I said had was I learned to compensate, which in turn helped me to be creative. So I definately liked it when you stated, "some TS kids have extreme talent with art and music." And I really think you hit the nail on the head with a child becoming moody because tics tire them out. I am glad you pointed that out to me, it makes alot of sense. I am trying to definately stay positive about this. I still pray it is a faze but we will take things as they come. I love him so much that I just want him to be o.k no matter what happens. Thanks again.
Bella

Last edited by moderator2; 07-14-2006 at 02:40 PM. Reason: If you are responding to the last poster, please do not quote the post.

Closed Thread