It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Tourette Syndrome Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-03-2007, 05:31 AM   #1
(female)

psg HB User
Tourettes and OCD ~ Biting, Licking

My son is 13 and was diag w/Tourettes 9 months ago. He was also told he did not have the comorbids that often go along w/having TS, ie ADD, ADHD, OCD. Tourettes, for anyone that does not know, is when you have involuntary motor movements, both vocal and motor. My son has both. Tics wax and wane, they come and go and manifest into other tics, some worse than others. He is on Risperdal and Clonidine for tics, but it far from makes them disappear, only attempts to make them more manageable. For the last 1-1/2 months or so, he is doing things that are leading his Neurologist to think he is exhibiting OCD tendencies, and my husband and I now think he has OCD. He has a huge need to touch others, hug, moving his arms during a tic, and often "hitting" anyone in his way. In the last few days, most troubling for us is that he feels a need to bite, and licked one of his classmates hair, and my husband's skin yesterday. My son is an A-honor roll student, very bright and articulate, never a "behavioral" child. This is all very troubling for us to see him act in this way, even though we know he can't help it.

In addition to seeing a Neurologist, he has been seeing a Psychologist for 9 weeks, once weekly for Neurofeedback and CBT. His Neurologist believes very much in this process, and we trust it will help, but it is very slow. I'd love to hear from anyone who has had similar experiences. I wonder if there are meds to help him thru this difficult time. If so, please share experiences, side effects, etc. Thanks. I look forward to hearing from you.

The following user gives a hug of support to psg:
nadinebryant (09-19-2011)
Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 02-03-2007, 06:21 AM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

j2006 HB User
Re: Tourettes and OCD ~ Biting, Licking

I have done alot of research on this. My niece was diagnosed with this as well.

We tried many medication with her and she just couldn't stay awake during the day. She would fall asleep at school and she just wasn't herself. So we had no choice but to take her off.

One of her doctors said that most of the time the tourettes (sp) just leaves. It takes time but it leaves. 5v years later it has. when she is tired or stressed some of her tics will come back.

One of things we did find during that time is that she had awful sinus infections. and her doctor mentioned that that could cause the tics as well.

During the past years, she has developed OCD. And she is seaking CBT and is helping. My sister and her husband are going with her on occassion which is very helpful.

She too was an A student which is very stressful for that little person to handle. she had bad teachers that stressed her out, etc. It was tough.

Hang in there - Take a look at the medication side effects. sometimes they can cause anxiety type reactions which can sometimes be mistaken for OCD.

Old 02-03-2007, 07:28 AM   #3
Inactive
(male)

ocdengineer HB User

I would be a little concerned about giving a child those types of drugs because his brain is still developing. Like J2006 said this will probably work itself out over time, but come back in his late teens early twenties. At least at that age the brain is fully developed and he can get medication if need be and he will understand the CBT more. Those types of drugs don't really work well with children and can cause horrible side effects that they may not even understand as side effects, so just monitor him closely and if he is acting strangely then consider minimizing the dosage and alow him to grow up on his own.

I had OCD when I was in 2nd-4th grade. It was a horrible time for me, but it did go away and I had a great high school and college expereience with no symptoms. It wasn't until my senior year that the OCD came back and I had to start considering what I was going to do with my life again. I am now almost 30 married with a daughter and another on the way with a good job and a good group of friends, so life does go on and people do adapt. It is hard, but it is possible.

Take care,
OE

Good luck,
OE

Old 02-03-2007, 08:23 AM   #4
Veteran
(female)

dannic1 HB User

By neurofeedback, I assume that you mean biofeedback? If so, I have had several biofeedback treatments done and it does work. I haven't been diagnosed with Tourette's, but I think I may have OCD tendencies and I definitely had anxiety. My anxiety is SO much better and I think the OCD is better as well. I, myself, know that symptoms can wax and wane. Stress brougth on a re-lapse for me, so reducing stress is very important. I would definitely keep up the neurofeedback. There are studies out there that it is a proven therapy. I also believe so much in the power of prayer.

Good luck - keep me posted. God bless.

danni

Old 02-03-2007, 11:49 AM   #5
(female)

psg HB User

Wow, I am impressed by all your replies. Thanks so much. We are at a very rough time at our house, and I am doing my best to get my son through this. The decision to medicate was not easy. But when his vocal tics were screaching non stop from morning till night, the decision was clear to us.

Dannic, my son is going through Neurofeedback from his Psychologist. We believe it will help along with the CBT he is receiving as well. The process, however, is slow at a time when we feel desperate for quick results. It helps to hear your experiences, and I welcome more. Thanks.

Old 02-03-2007, 03:45 PM   #6
(female)

Kimberly8 HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by psg View Post
My son is 13 and was diag w/Tourettes 9 months ago. He was also told he did not have the comorbids that often go along w/having TS, ie ADD, ADHD, OCD. Tourettes, for anyone that does not know, is when you have involuntary motor movements, both vocal and motor. My son has both. Tics wax and wane, they come and go and manifest into other tics, some worse than others. He is on Risperdal and Clonidine for tics, but it far from makes them disappear, only attempts to make them more manageable. For the last 1-1/2 months or so, he is doing things that are leading his Neurologist to think he is exhibiting OCD tendencies, and my husband and I now think he has OCD. He has a huge need to touch others, hug, moving his arms during a tic, and often "hitting" anyone in his way. In the last few days, most troubling for us is that he feels a need to bite, and licked one of his classmates hair, and my husband's skin yesterday. My son is an A-honor roll student, very bright and articulate, never a "behavioral" child. This is all very troubling for us to see him act in this way, even though we know he can't help it.

In addition to seeing a Neurologist, he has been seeing a Psychologist for 9 weeks, once weekly for Neurofeedback and CBT. His Neurologist believes very much in this process, and we trust it will help, but it is very slow. I'd love to hear from anyone who has had similar experiences. I wonder if there are meds to help him thru this difficult time. If so, please share experiences, side effects, etc. Thanks. I look forward to hearing from you.
My 13 year old daughter is diagnosed with OCD, when her therapists tried her on prozac to ease the anxiety and all the hoarding (collecting everything) she developed symptoms of Tourettes (tics, movements and verbal)...immediately I took her off the prozac and the symptoms lasted almost 7-8 months still. Now she is back to "normal" and life is easier for her touching things 4 times than it is to understand why she was twitching and barking. That was when she was 11. Now at 13 her OCD has taken a back seat. Good luck to you.

Old 02-03-2007, 04:56 PM   #7
Veteran
(female)

dannic1 HB User

I am so glad that I can be of help and comfort to you. Neurofeedback is becoming more and more widely used as an alternative therapy. From what I understand, though, it is a subtle process and may require up to 40 treatments - everyone is different, though. I'd be more than happy to ask my therapist any question that you might have about it. I have links that she gave me, but I don't know if I'm allowed to post them on here without getting in trouble? My therapist has been doing biofeedback for a very long time and goes to all of the latest conferences on it. She is also a very warm and loving person and I look forward every Friday to my therapy. My OCD tendencies sort of wax and wane themselves - like today, I'm very tired and had my mind on Girl Scout cookies and my father just got diagnosed with esophagus cancer, so my brain was very much focused on those things. I noticed my OCD getting better. I will keep your son in my prayers, if you don't mind.

God bless you and watch over you and your family.

danni

Old 02-06-2007, 04:55 AM   #8
(female)

psg HB User

Sorry, I've been away a few days. Again thanks for all the advice. I think we are on the right road with the Neurofeedback and the CBT (Clinical Behavioral Therapy). Just curious as to what the Biofeedback is vs. the Neurofeedback. I keep hoping that, because my son is at puberty age, things will be at their peek and only get better.

Old 02-07-2007, 05:43 PM   #9
Veteran
(female)

dannic1 HB User

Biofeedback and neurofeedback are the same thing.

danni

Old 02-09-2007, 04:13 AM   #10
(female)

plainjayne HB User

i have bi polar disorder and tourettes. your child sounds the same as i was when i was that age. i grew out of the obsessive problems when i was about 14 and a half. the tourettes got worse and my mum and dad were embarrassed and used to tell me off, this made me worse. they never tried to get me help for any of these things and were just convinced i was an unruly child! i take medication for my bipolar but not for my tourettes as medication for tourettes is horrible and made me so drowsy. i believe the children should be given the choice about what medication is given, the child usually feels to blame and that they dont fit in. let the child feel comrtable with their tics and obsessions(as long as they arent dangerous to themselves or others)and only then talk medication with them. they might rather like to live medication free its not about the parent doing best for their child in most instances, its about the parent being embarrassed of their child. children are human beings include them in everything that is their business.

Old 02-10-2007, 03:12 PM   #11
(female)

psg HB User

plainjayne,
I am sorry, as you said, that your parents were embarassed by your behavior. That is so sad. I can honestly say that I never have been. Parents are, however, human, and do make mistakes. It is very hard seeing your child go through all this, and sometimes our "concern" comes off in the wrong way.

I hope things are better for you. We are doing our best to see our son through things in a way that is best for him. I can only hope we are.

Old 03-11-2007, 10:21 AM   #12
(female)

plainjayne HB User

psg, i think its great that you dont find yoursons tics etc embarrassing and i think that as long as he knows this he wont feel the need to hide and get worse in secret you sound like you are good parents x

Closed Thread