It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Tourette Syndrome Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-02-2007, 07:01 AM   #1
(female)

melissa24 HB User
Question Could it be Tourettes???

Hi ,

I'm not sure where to post this , this section suited my question the most but anyway I'm in need of some advice .
My DD is 9 months old and is eye blinking on and off through the day , She blinks but holds the blink for a few seconds then opens her eyes and shakes her head .
My DF (her daddy) has Tourettes Syndrome but I thought she would be too young to be showing symptoms .
I've seen a doctor , he puts it down to teething but deep down I don't feel it is .
It really worrys me , We went out today and I felt a few people were looking at her while she did it , made me think it's not normal for a baby to be doing this .
Does any body elses baby blinks/twitches?
Should I look into this further ?
What would you do ?
Thanks in advance .

Old 06-03-2007, 11:45 PM   #2
(female)

melissa24 HB User
Re: Could it be Tourettes???

Maybe I am in the wrong section as no one is responding .....??

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 06-04-2007, 06:45 AM   #3
(female)

marcine26 HB User

My daughter did something similar when she was around 1 year old. She started blinking fast and hard, pretty much all day long, there were times when she would blink normally but everyone noticed her excess blinking, and they would even point it out to me. After about a week, I took her to the dr and he was great, they didnt say one thing outloud, so she wouldnt know what we were there for, he just said to me, I know why you are here and I just want to talk to your duaghter and he did, he did the normal eye checks, ear checks, etc, but kept his eyes on her eyes. He asked us to go back to the waiting and watch the movie playing and he was in the offiec and just kept watching her. He called us back to the room and did like a toddler eye test which she passed. He then had the nurse take her to get a popsicle and he talked to me. He said, right now, she has a facial tick, a real mild form of tourettes. Keep an eye on it, watch the different times she does it, kinda keep a diary. She then picked up another tick, of clenching her fists tight and sometimes her nails would cut her palms. He also said she may out grow it, she may develop more ticks. If its gets to the point where it is interupting her day where she notices it, then he would think about sending her to a neurologist. After a while, she started to notice, asking why do i blink all the time, why cant i stop it. it was kinda heartwrenching to hear. She is now 6 years, blinks and clenches every so often, I notice it when she is tired, overwhelmed, or stressed, but it soon goes away. My son, now 3, has recently started blinking about a year ago, i didnt take him to the dr, but if he develops more ticks i will certainly be there.

hope this helps, i dont think i answered any questions but maybe just knowing my duaghter had similar symptoms and has outgrown the majority of them may help.

good luck,
amy

Old 06-05-2007, 05:47 AM   #4
(female)

melissa24 HB User

Thanks sooo much for responding !
Cause DD is only 9 months they can't be sure if it is Tourettes but I will def keep an eye out for any other tics .
It's good your DD is getting over the blinking .
Hopefully my DD will too .

Thanks again for replying .

Old 06-14-2007, 04:18 PM   #5
(female)

Pixxie HB User

Sorry this response is a little late, but I just started coming to this board.
I have a little boy who is now 7. He has mild Tourette's. His tics started at about 6 months of age with blinking, arms twitching and a verbal tic, grunting. He still has a few facial tics but his verbal tics have turned to swearing, it's not all the time, that's why it is only mild. Everyone who knows him just ignores when he does it, obviously. BUT, in public, people are just appalled! People look at me like "can't you control your child" I just look at them and smile and walk away. I know why he does it and it is none of thier business. I don't let it embarrass me, he can't help it.
I guess I got a little side-tracked there, but kind of segwayed into, if it is, indeed, Tourette's and verbal tics come about and it is swearing, don't get embarrassed, don't feel that you owe an explanation, because you don't.
Peace,
Pixxie

Old 08-04-2007, 10:57 PM   #6
(female)

tangyshoo HB User

Pixxie,
My son is 10 and he cusses like a sailor sometimes. He is Autistic & has sensory integration dysfunction. He doesn't have facial tics or anything like that. Do you think he may have tourettes or do you think it could just be what he and his dad watch on tv?

Old 08-07-2007, 11:14 PM   #7
(female)

simple101 HB User

[QUOTE=tangyshoo;3137340]Pixxie,
He is Autistic & has sensory integration dysfunction.

When I see young children who do the hand clenching, I remeber reading it as one symptom "under the umbrella of autism" It is more common then you think. I have seen it last a few weeks now and then when a child is processing what is going on around them too.

Try it- I now let my hands bunch up and my wrists even react when the bus is late and I am freaking out! I think it is a harmless way to manage things.
I bet the blinks are similar.

Old 11-26-2007, 06:24 AM   #8
(female)

DIFFERENT HB User

for it to be tourettes he would need to have others tics. the media portrays swearing as what tourettes is when in reality it is a specific form of tourettes and has a special name (cophillia - something similar to this) which is actually really rare.

Closed Thread