It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Tourette Syndrome Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-19-2007, 02:06 PM   #1
(male)

johnk91421 HB User
Possible Tourettes

For a while now I've had some nervous habits, such as blinking excessively to the point of having to stop what I'm doing for 10 or so seconds simply to blink enough to satisfy my urge to blink, as well as repeating words that I hear or say.

Today I decided to search "excessive blinking" online to find out if it was a problem, and I came upon an article that talked about "tics" which is listed as movements that are involuntary, harmless, and would pass overtime. However, as I read more, the article linked excessive blinking and the repeating of phrases (echolalia) with Tourettes syndome. This is really worrying me.

I read that Tourettes develops most often in males and young children, and though I'm not a young child I'm not an adult by any means. Also, for a long time I thought I had ADD (thought not very seriously) because I always have the urge to move and can't really stay focused, another symptom that was linked to Tourettes.

So my question is this. Given all these supposed symptoms of Tourettes, is it still possible that my nervous habits are harmless quirks that will eventually pass, or is it more likely that I will eventually develop a full case of Tourettes. I haven't talked to anyone about this yet and I'm just hoping for some advice.

Thanks

Old 09-20-2007, 08:43 PM   #2
(female)

JustMeInID HB User
Re: Possible Tourettes

Could it be obsessive compulsive disorder (OCD) rather than Tourettes?

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 09-21-2007, 05:19 AM   #3
Senior Veteran
(female)

dustoffkid HB Userdustoffkid HB User

OCD is what I was thinking, too. The best thing you can do is go to the doctor. You won't get a diagnosis until you do.

Old 11-26-2007, 06:16 AM   #4
(female)

DIFFERENT HB User

i think u have tourettes i have tourettes too and it sounds like that. the best way to figure it out (without the expensive costs of neurologists) take a look at all the symptoms listen in tourettes and see if u have others. when i first was researching to see if this is what i had i realised little things which i didnt even consider 'tics' are actually part of tourettes and this was why i was doing them.

Closed Thread