It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Tourette Syndrome Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-10-2007, 10:11 PM   #1
(female)

abbygail HB User
Question 20 year old with tourettes

My son was diagnosed with ADHD and tourettes at age 10. He is now 20 and impossible to deal with. I was told that if your child is predisposed to tourettes and he is given ritalin that there is an ingredient in ritalin that sets the tourettes off. Seems likely as all the problems since then have accelerated.When they are young it is difficult to cope with all the hurdles they have to overcome but what does one do when they are 20 years old 6 foot 4 and determined to do everything possible to make life difficult? He seems to have difficulty with addictions and will lie excessively about menial things. Is this common amoungst Tourettes individuals? I just want tne best for him and am at my wits end as to how to help him.Any advise?

The following user gives a hug of support to abbygail:
robinsje (11-07-2011)
Old 11-13-2007, 03:38 PM   #2
(male)

smiley290max HB User
Re: 20 year old with tourettes

It's good that u mentioned that i myself am 20 years old like your son. I've just started ritalin and the toretts is anoying but i deal with. My finger tick every second on it but its not to much worse than normal. The worst part for me is my OCD normaly my ocd is bad enough, and i will get obsessed with something and wont stop till im done or bored which rarely happens. When im on ritalin i get very moody at doses lower than 25-30mg every 3-4 hrs. I'm only perscibed 60mg a day and i dont know how my doc will react if i tell him that i might need 75-90mg a day. Asking for more is my last resort. Aswell i find on ritalin im not picky with what i get obsessed with. Even clean the whole house is fine, but it interferes with my day and ill be doing unimportant things for like 4-5 hours. Ive treid 10-20mg per dose but i just end up fighting with everyone and not doing anything all day. <removed>

Last edited by mod-anon; 11-13-2007 at 10:06 PM. Reason: inappropriate topic

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 11-25-2007, 07:16 AM   #3
(female)

DIFFERENT HB User

im a 22 year old female with tourettes as well im on catapres 100 and im curious as to why ur on ridilin (sorry probably spelt wrong) u shouldnt be on that for what you have. thats ADD and ADHA medication.

Last edited by moderator2; 11-25-2007 at 09:26 AM. Reason: posted contact info

Old 11-25-2007, 07:50 AM   #4
(female)

DIFFERENT HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by abbygail View Post
My son was diagnosed with ADHD and tourettes at age 10. He is now 20 and impossible to deal with. I was told that if your child is predisposed to tourettes and he is given ritalin that there is an ingredient in ritalin that sets the tourettes off. Seems likely as all the problems since then have accelerated.When they are young it is difficult to cope with all the hurdles they have to overcome but what does one do when they are 20 years old 6 foot 4 and determined to do everything possible to make life difficult? He seems to have difficulty with addictions and will lie excessively about menial things. Is this common amoungst Tourettes individuals? I just want tne best for him and am at my wits end as to how to help him.Any advise?
this is not common with people with tourettes. hes lying coz of the drugs hes addicted to. depression and anxiety come hand in hand with tourettes and many of us do end up addicted to alcohol or drugs. im 22 female with tourettes and a previous marijuana abuser but i never lied or theived because of my addiction or because of the tourettes. this is just a trait in his personally along with hes probably on harder stuff than weed. if that makes sense.

Closed Thread