It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Tourette Syndrome Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-01-2008, 04:52 AM   #1
(male)

npro9b17 HB User
Tourettes

I have tourettes, it's minor, but it is pretty embarassing and frustrating. I blink all the time, shrug my eyebrows, forehead, etc. People think that I am a druggie because of this. Is there any type of treatment I can get for this? Are the drugs prescribed for this drug worth taking? It's just about destroyed my self esteem.

Old 04-21-2008, 08:00 AM   #2
(female)

momwhocares HB User
Re: Tourettes

do not be embrassed, my daughter's tics started at age 5 and she got picked on even by her "best" friend. yes, she got her feelings hurt. but, she stood up for herself and said, "how do u think i feel, i can't help it"! i was proud of her, she is 11 and doing great. in fact she just made cheerleader and won a beauty pageant. her tics aren't as noticeable, as far as medication, we have use little to none for her. but if you would like to know more about this please let me know, i will help anyone who has the same problem she does, and she will too, she says, "mom, it could be worse!" she keeps a winning attiude and people just know that those "tics" are just part of her and no one makes fun of her anymore in fact she is in the "in" or "popular" crowd and she is shockec but thrilled.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 06-04-2008, 09:35 PM   #3
(male)

gshaylor HB User
Re: Tourettes

hey there,, I have had tourettes since i was about 9 yrs old. In school it was mostly hand and facial motor tics. I wasnt diagnosed really til i was a teenager. Been on every drug out there. One to avoid is Haldol/Haloperidol. If u are on it longer than maybe a year the complications can be horrible. Because of it, I became paralyzed in my neck and shoulder for 2 yrs, had to be treated with Botulinum injections for 2 yrs. then I lost my ability to speak for over 5 yrs. Couldnt make a sound. I was told I would never speak again. Im happy to report though, after about 7 yrs of hard hard work and prayer my voice began to return. Here the past couple of years I have had severe bouts with gagging, throat clearing. Have mildly severe facial taridve disconesia (sp?) as result of being on Haldol 13 yrs!! Idiot neurologist! anyway, the tics can often become a positive part of your life, just depends on how you "spin" it. the meds, yes, there are some good ones. Tetrabenazine worked wonders years back, but got to where it was hard to locate. You might check with Joseph Jankovic at Baylor University in Houston. He pioneered tons of things for tourette sufferers. Other good meds are Resperidal, sometimes Artane. Hope this helps!! hang in there

greg

Closed Thread