HealthBoards

HealthBoards (http://www.healthboards.com/boards/)
-   Tourette Syndrome (http://www.healthboards.com/boards/tourette-syndrome/)
-   -   will risperidone help my sons tourettes (http://www.healthboards.com/boards/tourette-syndrome/679481-will-risperidone-help-my-sons-tourettes.html)

DrewsMommy 03-17-2009 03:22 PM

will risperidone help my sons tourettes

Hi there I also have a child that is suffering from tourettes. He is now 18 and finally has agreed to take medication. The doctor has giving us the persciption for Riperdone. I am so afraid of this drug as I have known people that have been on it. Doe anyone know how it affects this disorder??? Please help!

addprogrammer 03-18-2009 06:07 AM

Re: will risperidone help my sons tourettes

I feel for both you and your son.

I have no experience with Risperdal. I know it is prescribed for Tourettes and it does, like every other med, have potentially nasty side-effects.

I'll share with you my Golden Med Rule as a principle. Try every other feasible option first. For example, Tourettes does respond in many cases to behavorial type therapies. Even if your son doesn't respond, he'll most likely need it anyway to augment any prescribed meds.

Does he suffer from ADHD too? If so, look at Strattera. Less nasty and if not mistaken used off-label for Tourettes. Strattera has proven to be the most effective ADHD med for some people.

By all means do not encourage your son to anything based on what I say other than talk to his doc about it. He is seeing a psychiatrist, correct? Psychotropic medication issues make programming look like child's play in complexity comparison.

Bob

herekittykitty 03-18-2009 01:40 PM

I just wanted to say, Hi to you. I have a son with Tourette's, but we do not use any type of medications. The pedicatric neurologist that he sees has offered us plenty of prescriptions in the past, but we choose not to use them at this time.

I would just say that with any medication use for anything, I would consider if the benefit outweighs the side effects. If he gets more benefit than side effects, I would say go for it. Are his tics severely affecting his daily life? When the tics get in the way of living and are very bothersome, I would say it might be time to try something.

Just to set the record straight about Strattera in case anyone else reads this, Strattera is an ADHD medication that is a first choice to try with patients to treat ADHD that also have Tourette's because it doesn't usually cause an increase in tics like other stimulant ADHD medications do such as Ritalin. It is not used to treat Tourettes.

addprogrammer 03-19-2009 02:52 AM

herekittykitty, (cool handle)

Thank you for the clarification.

DrewsMommy,

My Tourette's education was through a biz assoc's adult son. Dad asked me to recommend a pdoc. My pdoc prescribed Strattera. The son's ADHD had already ruined his life. If his Dad didn't own the biz, the son and his wife and their two young children would have been homeless. Son's Tourette's in my opinion had little negative impact but then again I can't see what's going on under my own hood much less someone else's.

I did learn that IN SOME CASES, Tourettes can be consciously controlled. In those cases Tourettes can be thought of as a socially unacceptable habit and the sufferer can be taught to control both the motor and vocal tics. I had believed that in all cases Tourettes was similar to the involuntary muscle twitches that most everyone experiences from time to time that can not be consciously controlled.

In son's case, the greater the stress the greater the tics. It took me a while to notice his tics. They became particularly noticeable during the daily dad-son altercation(s) - very plural. The son discontinued therapy after the first session and best of my knowledge the battles rage on.

I do not believe that all cases of Touresttes, perhaps not even the majority, can be managed through behavioral therapy alone. If you haven't already explored the option it just might be worth a look-see.

Bob

ginvodka 03-23-2009 02:20 PM

Hi all,
My son also has TS and risperidone has been recommended. He is very eager to take it as he thinks it will "cure all" . He is 10 years old. I am not so eager, due to the side effects. Has anyone here any evidence of it being of help in TS?

jenny barratt 01-02-2010 06:15 AM

[QUOTE=DrewsMommy;3922907]Hi there I also have a child that is suffering from tourettes. He is now 18 and finally has agreed to take medication. The doctor has giving us the persciption for Riperdone. I am so afraid of this drug as I have known people that have been on it. Doe anyone know how it affects this disorder??? Please help![/QUOTE]

My Son has recently been prescribed Respiridone for his tic disorder and after just 2 weeks I can see an improvement, so give it a go. He also suffers from OCD and it has helped with this too. He is only on a small dose 0.5ml a day but I can already see the differnece. He is only 12 and has been bullied so badly we ghad to get some help.

tourette mom 05-06-2011 10:26 PM

[QUOTE=ginvodka;3930328]Hi all,
My son also has TS and risperidone has been recommended. He is very eager to take it as he thinks it will "cure all" . He is 10 years old. I am not so eager, due to the side effects. Has anyone here any evidence of it being of help in TS?[/QUOTE]

Hi, it's been quite a while since you posted your message but I thought I would still share my opinion/experience with you....my son has been taking risperidone for just over a year now for his tourettes. He is 14 years old. I was reluctant to start him on this medication but because his symptoms had such a huge impact on his everyday life I wanted to give it a try. His symptoms decreased significantly but it did take time. It was a couple of weeks before he noticed a "calming" of his tics and even longer for the full effect. Although he became extrememly tired when he first started taking it this wore off after a few weeks. He takes .75mg at night (before bed) and .25 in the morning. I don't like giving my son this medication but to see his quality of life improve so drastically has made it justifiable, to me. I hope that you have found some relieve for your son since your post.

Sammie999 10-07-2011 09:42 PM

I am a FORMER user of Risperidone. I was on this med from age 11 until age 24. I do NOT recommend it! I had a broad range of symptoms and many were unpleasant. I was a walking zombie for the first 5 years on it. Horrible clumsiness, sleep-walking, night terrors, anxiety, obnoxious snoring, dry mouth, constipation so severe it hurt, and I could go on. Not every child responds the same way to a medication, but every person I know who has been on Risperdol or Risperidone has had complications while on it, and for years after. I believe it took 3 years to get out of my system completely!

I am 29 years old now, and my Tourette's in almost non existent. I am not on any medication for Tourette's. I do have a job, a husband, and child. Most cases seem to lessen when the affected person gets older. There is hope and your children can and will lead normal lives. Best of luck to you on your journey through this scary time!

tgymnast 12-31-2011 06:21 PM

I was on this medication and it helped EVERYTHING even my tics. BUT i gained 50 pounds. Not worth it to me

JoJoJones 01-06-2012 09:30 PM

My son is almost 12 and he has been on Rispiradone since he was 10. It helped a lot. He still has tics when he gets frustrated doing hard homework or playing a video game. He also still has some muscle soreness. But overall he seems to be doing really well. He is about 80 pounds and takes 1.25mg a day. 0.5 mg in the morning and evening and 0.25 mg after school. I have not noticed any side effects yet. This is better than a typical psychotic drug because it does not build up in your system. Your body metabolizes the drug completely. I have a degree in Chem and worked for a bio pharmaceutical company for a while. I looked up all the journal art les I could before he started the drug and I was really scared. But it has worked put for him. What I found is that it is different for everyone. I think dosage and IMF is important. Because it does not stay in your body timing is important, consistent dosing makes a difference. I wish you luck. My son would cry himself to sleep before starting this and now it's like I have my son back!! It took 2 years to diagnose and then it took another year to get his meds right. It is very hard for the child and the parents. Good luck!!

MarksMomMary 06-10-2012 06:06 PM

I have a 17 y/o son -- his head jerking started to get pretty bad at times, so we started with clonidine, then went to guanfacine. Then the neurologist added risperidone to the guanfacine... it worked for him. It took a couple of weeks but once he got on a therapeutic dose which was 3mg daily in two divided doses the head shaking stopped completely! The only problem is that he felt like a total zombie. So he decreased the risperidone and some of head shaking came back. He has only been on it for a month and a half -- I wonder if he was on it long enough -- now the doctor is going to take him off the risperidone and put him on pimozide. It's such a roller coaster. I hope something works!!

LindsTics 07-21-2012 07:58 PM

I have Tourette Syndrome and having been taking meds to help with my tics for 19 years. I have taken Clonazepam, Risperidone, Clonodine, and Haloperidal for tics. Risperidone helped SLIGHTLY, but Haloperidal works so well for me that people don't even know I have Tourette's anymore. My tics are practically gone while I'm on Haloperidal. It's an "oldie but goodie" medication.

MarksMomMary 07-22-2012 11:57 AM

Bless your heart, thank you so much for replying. I am glad you have found a med that helps you. I was a little afraid of Haldol in terms of potential side effects -- but on the other hand, with any of these types of meds -- I think the worry would be be more real if a person were taking huge doses as does pts with psychotic problems. Tourettes, I believe, does not usually require high doses of med. My son could not handle respiridone -- he said he felt like a zombie. It definitely helped with the head shaking but he just could not use it. So, his neurologist started him on Orap and that has worked very well. No problems with side effects. I pray to God this will continue to work -- but if he needs to make a change, I will be more accepting of Haldol. Thank you again for your reply.

LindsTics 07-22-2012 12:22 PM

I'm so glad that Orap is helping your son! Praise the Lord! I will also pray that it continues to help him. I am only on 1mg of Haldol, which is a low dose. The only side effect I experienced was a "flat affect" when I tried increasing the dosage to 2mg because my tics were worse during a stressful time. I am very happy with how the 1mg is working now though. :)

kelei 11-11-2012 07:31 AM

My son is 8 and has had symptoms of TS since the age of 5. We reluctantly put him on aripiprazole (Abilify) in August as the symptoms were so awful. It seems as though it works for TS, even though it isn't a well-known or 'official' medication for it. His tics are so minimal now that I am astonished. He has not mentioned any side effects. I was so reluctant to try any form of medication, but this has made him a 'normal' little boy again. I'm posting here because it doesn't seem as if the link between TS and this medication is widely known...