HealthBoards

HealthBoards (http://www.healthboards.com/boards/)
-   Tourette Syndrome (http://www.healthboards.com/boards/tourette-syndrome/)
-   -   my 7 yr old son recently started facial twitching (http://www.healthboards.com/boards/tourette-syndrome/840950-my-7-yr-old-son-recently-started-facial-twitching.html)

jenmac480 03-20-2011 03:28 PM

my 7 yr old son recently started facial twitching

I have a 7 yr old son who recently started to scrunch his nose and brows. We were telling him to just stop doing it and he would say okay but he doesn't stop. He doesn't do it constantly but he does do it a lot. We have since asked him if he can stop doing it and he says he can't and he doesn't even know when he is doing it. We want to write it off as one of his bad habits because he has had a few of those. He used to bite his nails constantly and then he would do this weird breathing thing where he would take a loud short breath out, then he started taking a jump in the middle of walking. He has since stopped those habits. Like I said, we really want this to be one of those bad habits but would like to know the possibilities of what else it might be. Thank you...

sjb 03-23-2011 01:40 PM

Re: my 7 yr old son recently started facial twitching

Hi is he on any medications?

jenmac480 04-07-2011 02:54 PM

[QUOTE=sjb;4713700]Hi is he on any medications?[/QUOTE]

No he is not.

sjb 04-08-2011 02:48 PM

Hi has there been an infection or antibiotics just before all this started?

jenmac480 04-11-2011 06:31 AM

[QUOTE=sjb;4726013]Hi has there been an infection or antibiotics just before all this started?[/QUOTE]

No antibiotics or infection. He is still doing it but it just looks like he is making a face. He says it doesn't hurt and doesn't know when or why he is doing it.

sjb 04-17-2011 02:44 PM

Hi some people have tics and they are aware of them but they are not voluntary. Sometimes with some people they are painful. It is good that there is no pain because they may be there the rest of his life. I know it is hard to take but unless a plant is found that gets rid of symptoms that is the way it is. I know a retarded fellow that has tics and he is on a medicine for them but he still has them anyway. I have lost respect for medicine that is supposed to help a certain thing and they still have the difficulty. Worse still it costs and it is bad for organs such as the kidneys and liver. :eek:

sawbuck44 04-26-2011 02:07 PM

Have you noticed Jason on American Idol? He has major ticks but he is always moving so you don't really notice them.

I know my son had ticks when he was on ADD meds. They went away when he stopped. He still had times where he would cross his fingers over each other on one hand. You are right in asking him to stop each time you see him. I told my son I will try my best to not let him get into "habits" such as these. He became conscious of what he was doing and made an effort to stop.

sjb 04-26-2011 02:41 PM

Hi jenmack480: it's a bit like someone who is afflicted with seizures involuntarily and even loses consciousness. Oh please feller don't go unconscious and have a seizure ok? They really are not habits in most cases and it is not done on purpose. :)

WarEagle34 05-13-2011 06:08 PM

Please don't tell him to stop. He can't help it. He needs your support. He needs to be able to release his tics around you.
My son is now 20 and was diagnosed at 9 years old with Tourettes. I first noticed around 8yo his arm would stretch in front of him and shake while he was playing cars. Then he started repeating himself (mumbling quietly under his breath). These were tics. They move. He couldn'tcontrol them. He would go through periods of clearing his throat constantly. That stopped after a couple of months. The tics were in his stomach muscles even his eyeballs. They rolled in the back of his head continually for a couple of weeks. That to me was the worst. There was a period that he couldn't hold a styrofoam cup without crushing the drink in his hands because of his tics. Your son can't stop. Please don't tell him to. My son tried to control his tics in school as best as he could. When he got home around us he could "let it out" so to speak. He had to. He described it like a cough. He said it's there, trying to suppress it but he couldn't wait to release it. His friends and teachers got used to the tics as we did and overlooked them. He's in college now and still has tics. They still move around his body. Even his ear canal. We never chose meds. He was diagnosed at an early age w/ ADHD and we stopped those meds around 10 after we figured out they were making the tics worse (this was 2000-2002). He still doesn't want the meds for his tics. His shoulder and hands hurt from the constant contractions. The meds had more side effects than the Tourettes. Drs tell us the symptoms will fade in early adulthood. Please let your son release around you. He needs to.

sjb 05-14-2011 07:12 PM

Hi yes I agree with Wareagles assessment it is a bit like a cough that cannot be stopped, or a sneeze, sneezes need releasing too. No thinking process will stop it really, if someone thinks so just try stopping your next cough or sneeze with a thought. :D