It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Tourette Syndrome Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-22-2011, 07:25 PM   #1
(female)

worm HB User
Question Is this OCD or Tourettes or just behaviour?

My 12 year old son has tourettes and my question is that he is really negative towards his sister. I mean he is "constantly" annoyed with her and telling her this (she is 18 months younger). I know this sounds like sibling rivalry but it is about 100 times worse that I have seen with any other children and I am always on him about it, but he starts back into it right after I correct him, no matter what the punishment. It is almost like a knee jerk reaction. I have never seen anything like it. He has low motivation and doesn't seem to have much drive for anything and other than this rivalry he is a good kid. I don't know how to stop it and sometimes it just seems like a compulsion of his.. How should I deal with this?

Old 08-24-2011, 04:06 PM   #2
(female)

worm HB User
Re: Is this OCD or Tourettes or just behaviour?

Quote:
Originally Posted by jenj770 View Post
I had the same problem with my son (and his behavior toward his sister) when he was a teenager. It may be that he is feeding off the attention he is getting from you as you are correcting him. If you back off, and maybe try to give him attention when he is not acting out, he will not need to harass your daughter. I think I intervened too much and, in retrospect, now see my daughter probably could have handled it without me constantly admonishing my son. Anyway, none of this may apply to you so it is just a suggestion.

Best,

Jen

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 08-24-2011, 04:09 PM   #3
(female)

worm HB User

I get what your saying, but my daughter doesn't have the language skills he has and has a problem defending herself, so if I ignore it he just goes on and on. I am afraid that it will really impact her if I don't intervene. What do you think? Sometimes I have taken away his ipod(which he lives for), but it only helps temporarily and even then he still goes on and on. ARGHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH!!!!!!! Anymore suggestions? Did you ever think that it was a real "compulsion" for him to continue to go on and on?

Old 08-26-2011, 11:00 AM   #4
(female)

worm HB User

Thanks Jen, sounds like you kind of parent like me. I do a lot of "turn humour into it", unfortunately my daughter doesn't get it. But I will take your suggestion and try another approach and not worry about it too much. Thanks a bunch. How old are your kids now? My daugher is 11 and my son is 13.

Closed Thread