It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Tourette Syndrome Message Board
Post New Thread   Reply Reply
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-13-2011, 08:54 PM   #1
(male)

rwhitlock HB User
Light-induced tics?

Hi, I'm hoping someone can help us out. Not sure if this is TS, or something else.

My eight-year-old son has had this odd tic for a little over a year now. It occurs when he's in bright direct light, usually sunlight. He turns toward the light, as if drawn to it- he won't wear a hat or sunglasses- and blinks or flutters his eyes while waving his hand in front of his eyes. Often he will have an added twitch or spasm.

We took him to a pediatric neurologist, who said his EEG was fine, and said it seemed to be simply a habit, and not to worry about it. We're highly doubtful of that opinion, but unsure where else to go. It seems sort of like TS, but I haven't heard of light-induced tics like this. My wife has had a couple of seizures- could this be epilepsy-related? Or something like stuttering? Do we need an MRI, CT scan, therapy?

Hoping someone can shed some light on this. It is frustrating for him and for us.

Thanks,
Randy

Old 08-16-2012, 06:56 PM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

flintrock HB Userflintrock HB Userflintrock HB Userflintrock HB Userflintrock HB Userflintrock HB Userflintrock HB User
Re: Light-induced tics?

Hyou have found answer by now. I was reading on this subject just last week. It is a form of light-induced epilepsy. Children who play video games also have these episodes

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 02-19-2013, 02:59 PM   #3
(female)

ferreide HB User
Cool Re: Light-induced tics?

It's funny to hear your post. It exactly describes what I had for over 40 years - I've never met someone with symptoms like mine.

Let me tell you that I was diagnosed with epilepsy, where light is the trigger. For 40 years medication hasn't helped.

Now I'm being sent to a movement clinic.

I guess all I can say is good luck. And if you find out more, let me know - it's been a long 40 years. On the other hand, I've learned to live with it, and I consider myself a successful professional, with a graduate degree. It wasn't easy, but can be done.

What I did? I avoided being outside... Though I love being outdoors... Neither glasses nor hats ever helped - actually: a few straw hats did help. You'd have to try different ones, till you find one with the right straw pattern. It seems to be something with the math in it.

Reply Reply