It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Tourette Syndrome Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-30-2011, 12:00 PM   #1
(female)

sbrooks0505 HB User
Question Newly diagnosed... questions

My son, who is 6, was diagnosed last week with tourettes. We had noticed tics for quite a while before his dx. But about a month ago (thanksgiving weekend) he went crazy with it. Now he may be nodding his head scrunching his face throwing his head back and blinking all the time... all day long. Is it normal to have times where it is just CRAZY. Will it settle down or is he just getting worse and this is what we can expect... any thoughts would be greatly appreciated.

Old 03-28-2012, 07:32 PM   #2
(female)

hope4btrdayz HB User
Re: Newly diagnosed... questions

Hello, this is my first time to respond to a post...My son is 22 and was diagnosed with TS at 9yrs. His first tics were blinking at about 5yrs and mouth tic at about 6yrs...the head bobbing and eye rolling and head jerking was all at once at 9yrs. Unfortunately it only got worse from there. Finally got on meds at 11yrs but changed often due to his growth. It seemed everytime we found a med that seemed to help he would grow and we would change dose and it wouldn't work the same. My son also quickly started having problems paying attention at school (never before the tics did he experience this) and his grades went down. Quickly ADHD came into play and the meds he would take for ADHD would make the tics worse...so you have catch22. I feel like I am rambling and not giving you much help. I just wanted you to know you are not alone. It is a rough road and worth every step because you Love your child! The tics DO change as they get older and for my son they are not as pronounced right now. They do continue to come and go and change each year though.
If you have any more questions please feel free to ask...I will be happy to answer Anything I can.
Good Luck, God Bless and Hang in there!

Sponsors Lightbulb

Closed Thread