It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Tourette Syndrome Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-25-2012, 01:48 PM   #1
(female)

luvmygoobers HB User
Tourettes and Memory Loss? Help please

Trying to find out what is wrong with my 10 yr old daughter.

At the age of 2 we were told that she had OCD. With behavior modification she was able to control most of her symptoms, so much so that most people didn't even know she had any issues. She always had what we called quirks that we assumed were associated with her OCD; having to touch things repetitively, throat clearing, a twitch in her hand and shoulder shrugging. We never thought anything of it until about 6 months ago when an odd leg twitch showed up that affected how she walked & she started making grunting noises.

Then a month and half ago she awoke to severe short term memory loss, so bad that she couldn't get herself ready, couldn't remember the way to school & didn't even recognize her best friend. Fearing the worst we called her dr who then got us admitted to Children's Hospital. After a myriad of tests, everything came back normal & they could find no problems. By the next morning she was back to her normal self. When we were back home she admitted to us that not only does she feel "twitchy," sometimes she gets what she calls "foggy brain" where things just don't feel quite right & when she looks at her school work or tries to read, the pages don't make sense. She gets very frustrated because she knows that she should know it but her mind just doesn't comprehend it. When the fogginess goes away she is again back to her normal self. She was able to hide it from us because it never lasted very long & even with it, she has some of the highest grades & test scores in her school.

After hearing so many "I don't knows" from drs. I started doing my own research. I found that her "quirks" and twitches may be tics. A friend led me to check out Tourettes and as I read more I felt more & more that this was the answer for most of her symptoms, but I cannot find any answer for her "foggy brain."

I know this is long & I thank you for reading it through. I am just wondering if anyone else has had this issue and if it too could be related to Tourettes? I just want answers so that if I can't help cure her, I can help her learn to cope.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 07-08-2012, 02:21 PM   #2
Facilitator
(female)

sjb HB Usersjb HB Usersjb HB Usersjb HB Usersjb HB Usersjb HB Usersjb HB Usersjb HB Usersjb HB Usersjb HB Usersjb HB User
Re: Tourettes and Memory Loss? Help please

Greetings lovemygoobers! Sometimes Candida albicans seems to cause a foggy brain and also I wonder about low thyroid. The Candida can be checked for by requesting a Candida antibody titre from a health professional. I enjoy peanuts too, sometimes I suspect peanuts may block the thyroid a bit because in a woman with period it sometimes causes a period to come in the wrong place in some women's menstrual cycle. The above is not necessarily a fact only something to think about and check if desired. I would be interested to know how things turn out if the professionals check the thyroid and Candida if desired to tell us. I would make sure the family has a bit of iodine in the diet might be important in my opinion at this time. Peace, sjb

The Following User Says Thank You to sjb For This Useful Post:
luvmygoobers (07-23-2012)
Old 07-21-2012, 08:15 PM   #3
(female)

LindsTics HB User

I am 26 years old and was diagnosed with Tourette's at age 5. Although I have never experienced memory loss, I have experienced "foggy brain." I have Epilepsy and used to have Petite Mal seizures. After each seizure, I would feel confused and have "foggy brain." is there a chance your daughter could be having some form of seizure? I HIGHLY recommend having the neurologist perform an EEG on her to see if there is any seizure activity in her brain.

The Following User Says Thank You to LindsTics For This Useful Post:
luvmygoobers (07-23-2012)
Old 07-22-2012, 07:11 AM   #4
Facilitator
(female)

sjb HB Usersjb HB Usersjb HB Usersjb HB Usersjb HB Usersjb HB Usersjb HB Usersjb HB Usersjb HB Usersjb HB Usersjb HB User

Greetings lovemygoobers! I found out that there is a theory or maybe fact that streptococcus can cause obsessive compulsive disorder. Peace, sjb

Old 07-23-2012, 06:10 AM   #5
(female)

luvmygoobers HB User

Thank you for your suggestions! She now has an official diagnosis of Tourette's from her neurologist. We are still trying to figure out the foggy brain and she is scheduled for another EEG this week. She had one when she was admitted to the hospital that came back normal, this time they are going to try to stress her out and see if the can trigger something while she's hooked up. Her neurologist thinks there is a small chance she's having petit mal seizures, but the good news is as we've been tracking her "episodes" they have been decreasing in length, severity & frequency.

Old 07-23-2012, 06:15 AM   #6
Facilitator
(female)

luvmygoobers! You are welcome!

Closed Thread