It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Tourette Syndrome Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-16-2012, 12:31 PM   #1
(female)

jenn0039 HB User
Lightbulb Tourette's in a 3 year old?

My daughter is 3 and has has tics in her arms and legs since she was probably 1. She juts her arms and legs out and flexes every muscle in her body and then keeps on going... as she has aged its has gotten less random and tends to happens when shes focused on a task, resting, or in her car seat. She also has a lot of compulisive behaviors like hand washing, we have to repeat certain things, she fears things in her room, and she paces in circles... I have done every checklist for aspergers and autsim and that does not define her at all because she is SOOO social gets social cues, parallel plays, loves affection... SO when researching tourettes seemed like a possiblity however she seems quite young for it too.... We live in the Houston area are there any doctors people recommend? What should we do from here?

We have a Nuerologist and have had EEGs that were all normal.

Old 07-21-2012, 08:04 PM   #2
(female)

LindsTics HB User
Re: Tourette's in a 3 year old?

I am 26 and have had Tourette's since age 5. My friend has a 6 year old daughter with TS and she swears she has noticed her 1 year old son ticcing, so it is entirely possible that your daughter has Tourette's at age 3. Does she have vocal tics too (throat clearing, sniffling, snorting, coughing)? Both movement and vocal tics must be present during the same time period and the tics must last for at least a year to be diagnosed with Tourette's.

Tourette's may not show up on an EEG. I have Tourette's AND Epilepsy, so my EEGs are never normal, but I think that's because of the Epilepsy. I have tried diet changes, therapy, and medication, and medication is the ONLY thing that has ever helped with my tics. I take Haldol.

Blessings to you!

Last edited by LindsTics; 07-21-2012 at 08:09 PM. Reason: Forgot to mention something

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 07-25-2012, 03:05 PM   #3
(female)

jenn0039 HB User

So a verbal tic has to be present for it to be Tourettes? I have not noticed her doing one but am not sure how it would look. She tics with her arms and legs constantly I would say about 6-10 an hour.

Can you stop your tics and hold them off? If I catch her tic-ing she can stop but will continue later....
Like I said this may not be TS I am just trying to figure it out

Thanks for the help!

Old 07-25-2012, 03:11 PM   #4
(female)

LindsTics HB User

Yes, both vocal and motor tics must be present in order to have Tourette's. There are other tic disorders beside Tourette's, however. I can suppress my tics for short periods of time, but eventually, I have to "let them all out." The urge to tic is a lot like the urge to blink your eyes. You can control it, but not for long. Hope that helps!

Old 07-25-2012, 07:06 PM   #5
(female)

jenn0039 HB User

How did you get diagnosed ? Im not really sure as a parent where I should take her and how much I should let them do.... Shes 3 and hitting all her milestones but tics a lot...We have a nuerologist but havent been in about a year.

Old 07-26-2012, 09:27 AM   #6
(female)

LindsTics HB User

I was first diagnosed at age 5 by a psychologist my parents took me to for counseling. Apparently my tics were so obvious, he diagsosed me with Tourette's. My parents were in denial though. It wasn't until I started having seizures at age 7 that we went to a neurologist and she also said I had Tourette's. Then my parents stopped their denial. I'd recommend taking your daughter to see a neurologist again and telling the neurologist about the tics you've been noticing your daughter have.

Do tics run in your family? Apparently Tourette's is genetic; however, we don't know of any family members who have ever had Tourette's. My grandmother has always had a constant sniffle tic and my sister had a tic once that lasted for about 6 months, but she never had a tic again. I have OCD which is typically present when Tourette's is present and my mom does too.

Last edited by moderator2; 07-26-2012 at 10:30 AM.

Closed Thread