It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Tourette Syndrome Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-26-2012, 11:18 PM   #1
(male)

Dat1kid HB User
Tics

Is this tourettes?

I find myself constantly clearing my throat. It has become a problem socially because it's getting on my nerves and other people are starting to notice it.

Since 4th grade I always stretched my neck it's kind of hard to explain why but it happened constantly and was a big concern for me. Then it went away for the most part. A couple of years later I would stretch my face out as far as a can (Dustin Pedroia does this if you know who he is), and I would crinkle my nose and move my upper lip.

It happens usually when I'm around othe people and more often when I'm around people in don't know. I get an urge to do it plus if I don't clear my throat my voice regularly comes out shaky/raspy. From what I've read it seems to be a nervous tic I'm guessing?

Please help me wih a diagnosis and cure (I don't really want to go to a doctor if possible).
I am a teen-ager. I'm really uncomfortable with talking to my parents about this please help.

Last edited by Administrator; 07-27-2012 at 09:37 AM.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 07-29-2012, 10:05 AM   #2
Facilitator
(female)

sjb HB Usersjb HB Usersjb HB Usersjb HB Usersjb HB Usersjb HB Usersjb HB Usersjb HB Usersjb HB Usersjb HB Usersjb HB User
Re: Tics

Greetings Dat1kid! Welcome to the Tourrettes syndrome healthboard! I hope the needed support is found. My sympathies, tics are not fun. True tics are not done on purpose and occur without warning usually against the wishes of the person it happens to.

Clearing the throat because it is raspy is of course what most people do. An ear nose throat or allergy doctor might help determine if there is mucous coming down the throat in response to dust allergy or other difficulty. When mucous comes down it drops onto the vocal cords and gets in between the cords and prevents it from making proper sound. If there is a tumor pressing on a nerve or vocal cord one might want it removed (it does happen in young people but is usually rare and fairly unlikely).

Candida Albicans which is a fungus sometimes causes a postnasal
drip from allergy because if often causes allergies. Eating sweets and antibiotic use contributes to candida fungal infections.

A healthy lifestyle with a daily walk out in sunshine before 10 am or after 2 pm may be useful. A wide variety of vegetables, fruits, grains and nuts should be eaten some cooked and some raw. Going to bed at the same time every night and getting up the same time every morning and having meals at the same time every day is useful to general health if possible. I would avoid chemical exposures both in and out of the body as much as possible including skin creams unless 100 percent natural and harmless. I would drink water freely but at least 6.25 cups of water daily.

Sometimes other types of infections can also cause tics most likely because the bacteria eat through a nerve mylein sheath and cause it to short circuit. If an infection is caught early enough perhaps it can be stopped. Nerves can sometimes grow back to some extent if treated properly. To have perfect health one needs to have perfect circulation.

If a real cure for tics is ever found please let me know no matter how many years have gone by. Some children it is said do get rid of tics by avoiding their triggers or allergens (whatever caused the allergy). Sometimes too much time in front of T.V. or a computer screen is said to be a cause. Sometimes food additives and chemicals are said to be a cause.

Movements done on purpose may be because somebody likes a certain person and wants to copy them and be like them. Tics are very common in people and often show up as movements and since people often move anyway they are not always noticeable. I would not want to be stretching the neck on purpose however because there is potential to cause damage in discs. Perhaps the parents have already noticed, or maybe they have not. Of course the decision to go to the professional and to talk to the parents is always ones own decision. Peace, sjb

Last edited by sjb; 07-29-2012 at 10:08 AM. Reason: addition made

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 08-27-2012, 01:41 PM   #3
(female)

Wendymm HB User
Re: Tics

You need a neurologist or a cooperative family doc. Clonidine is a mild blood pressure medicine that you can take. You parents probably want to help but do not know where to start. Find info on the internet to share with them.

Closed Thread