It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Tourette Syndrome Message Board
Post New Thread   Reply Reply
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-09-2012, 12:51 AM   #1
(male)

Andrew82186 HB User
Habit reversal training

I'm 26 years old I've had Tourette's syndrome and OCD since the age of 7 with varying degrees of severity, Different tics have come and gone, but in the past few years I've been experiencing some very painful tics that have been causing me physical injury. For example snapping my teeth together which has led to chipped teeth, and the worst tic has been one where I push my jaw to the side so hard that I now have a dislocated jaw. I recently heard about habit reversal training and I've been looking into it. I'm not sure if I'm right but from what I've understood it seems like it can help people switch there tics to a more acceptable one. Is there any possibility that habit reversal therapy could help me switch these painful dangerous tics to something less harmful?

Old 01-10-2013, 05:26 PM   #2
(female)

Pat007 HB User
Re: Habit reversal training

Oh goodness...I know exactly what you are going through. ((huggs to you))

I am 65 years old and have had Tics all my life at almost every part of my body that moves. It is more severe if I'm under added stress or worry. However, the Tics them self can add extra stress, especially if pain is involved and in when in social functions.

I am a female and tend to have TS at a lesser degree then a male.

I was not diagnosed until I was 28.

When I was in my late 40's I started playing the guitar. I have to say that concentrating on the strings, finger movements helped me tremendously to keep the tics at bay.
I think any musical instrument that involves finger movement might be of benefit. Not sure, but it seems my body was able to relieve the built up stress from constant rapid movement of my fingers and hands.

Maybe it was the concentration , maybe the movement.

I have not heard about reversing the habit. I do not keep up with TS studies.... as I'll have this the rest of my life, anyway.

We with TS, are going to move some part of our body, regardless. The movement is just going to come out.

Bless you,
Pat

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 08-18-2013, 04:16 AM   #3
(female)

111222 HB User
Re: Habit reversal training

Has anyone developed a tic that in their throat that actually makes food come up after it is eaten?

Reply Reply