It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Tourette Syndrome Message Board
Post New Thread   Reply Reply
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-12-2013, 08:08 PM   #1
(female)

akzmom HB User
Sleep difficulties

My 25 year old son is in college and having a lot of problems with falling asleep and then when he does he only sleeps for about 4 hours and then he is wide awake. He feels tired later in the day when he has to go to class. He has been trying maletonin and says it helps him to fall asleep but then he still wakes up about 2:00 in the morning. He prefers to try natural remedies. Any suggestions?

Old 02-19-2013, 02:37 PM   #2
(female)

Hypergirl48 HB User
Re: Sleep difficulties

They make a melatonin pill that has two parts to it. Half of the pill can help with falling asleep and the other is a delayed reaction that's supposed to kick in later in the night to help those who wake up and can't get back to sleep. Since the melatonin helps him fall asleep (it doesn't help everyone), then maybe this dual-action (time release, delayed release) one will help keep him asleep. Years ago when I tried it I had to get it at either a health food store or a vitamin shop (and of course you can find it online).
6/06: Dx hyperT & Graves Disease. RAI 6/06. Current treatment: Synthroid

Last edited by Hypergirl48; 02-19-2013 at 02:40 PM.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 02-25-2013, 09:49 AM   #3
Senior Veteran
(male)

lenvegas HB Userlenvegas HB Userlenvegas HB Userlenvegas HB Userlenvegas HB Userlenvegas HB Userlenvegas HB Userlenvegas HB Userlenvegas HB Userlenvegas HB Userlenvegas HB User

Hi, There is an excellent all natural product called alteril. It contains valarian root melatonin and L triptophan. It is sold in drug stores and it is a product I use when I travel long distances many time zones away to avoid jet lag.

Old 02-26-2013, 11:32 AM   #4
(female)

elvis1 HB User

I gave alteril 3 wks, but it ended up as helpful as one melotinin, no other benefits. And the cost is exorbitant. You could do just as well bying valerian in bulk for tea, and skullcap and hops. You can easiely buy L triptophan as well. Hope you save $$.

Last edited by elvis1; 02-26-2013 at 11:41 AM. Reason: more info

Old 03-11-2013, 12:19 PM   #5
(female)

Kelly4468 HB User

My son started taking Melatonin PR and it helps much better than the regular Melatonin. He has had sleep issues for years and he is now 13 yrs old.

Old 03-29-2013, 08:23 AM   #6
(female)

mabero HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by elvis1 View Post
I gave alteril 3 wks, but it ended up as helpful as one melotinin, no other benefits. And the cost is exorbitant. You could do just as well bying valerian in bulk for tea, and skullcap and hops. You can easiely buy L triptophan as well. Hope you save $$.
Have you tried drinking chamomile tea. It helps

Old 03-29-2013, 08:26 AM   #7
(female)

mabero HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by akzmom View Post
My 25 year old son is in college and having a lot of problems with falling asleep and then when he does he only sleeps for about 4 hours and then he is wide awake. He feels tired later in the day when he has to go to class. He has been trying maletonin and says it helps him to fall asleep but then he still wakes up about 2:00 in the morning. He prefers to try natural remedies. Any suggestions?
I have the same problem but I been taking magnesium calcium zinc with vit D 3 and been sleeping good

Old 04-03-2013, 03:23 AM   #8
(male)

MonkeysOnStrike HB User

Hey,

This sounds like my life. I have trouble sleeping, I stay up all night, I get a few hours of sleep, if any, then go to school.

I've taken lots of prescription drugs, but the side effects are horrible, and almost negate the benefits. I have tried natural things like melatonin, and it helps get me relaxed, which helps me fall asleep quicker, but not sooner per se. When I get in bed it takes me at least an hour (sometimes 2) to fall asleep, with melatonin, it can cut that "thinking time" in half.

I'll suggest something for you to keep in mind. I have taken marijuana, and it's a miracle drug for sleeping. It knocks me out almost every time. I really don't like doing it all the time, so it's not a solution to my problem, but I do it occasionally when I really need sleep. Just keep it in mind, it's natural and works far better than Ambien or melatonin.

I've also heard Valerian Root with melatonin is a good concoction.

Reply Reply