It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Transplants Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-03-2002, 11:07 AM   #1
drh6429

Exclamation HIV / Kidney Transplant / History

In 1996 I had a kidney transplant and tested negative for HIV for the serious of tests prior to my surgery. Since that time, I have had unprotected sex with approximately 6 women over the 6 years all of "low risk" behaviors. I also live in a mid-sized metroplitian area in the midwest (population 280K+/-). Each relationship I thought was going "somewhere" at the time so I never worried about protecting myself. I have never used IV drugs, sex with prostitutes, or any of the other high risks activities.

Now, I have met someone very special. She wants me to get tested to make sure I'm okay. My questions are these:

1. Given my comprimised immune system from a result of being on anti-rejection meds - if I were infected - wouldnt if be quite obvious?

2. Most of the women I slept with I am relatively friends with still. I know of no positive infections from them. They were all good people who didnt make poor choices that I knew of. What are the chances of having caught something from them? I only had unprotected anal sex with one woman and last spring she had a baby by another man. So, I'm fairly sure she is not positive. Another woman also has had a baby and her health is okay.

I have no symptons of any kind. Just wanting peace of mind and reassurance prior to go taking the test. All response are welcomed. Thank you...

D.

Old 07-03-2002, 11:44 AM   #2
Senior Veteran

Lindarella HB User
Hi. My guess is you'd have been very ill if you'd been infected with HIV due to your compromised immune system. Eighty percent of people without any prior conditions get so sick when they initially get infected that they seek a doctors care.

You sound fine. Your risks were low. You still know some of the woman. One thing, even though you thought the relationships were going "somewhere" and didn't protect yourself, you should start now. There are other sexually transmitted diseases you could get not to mention hepatitis or pregnancy. Twenty-two years of child support isn't worth 20 seconds

It's good that she wants you to get tested. It indicates that she is smart and is keeping herself protected. Good luck to you. You sound fine.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 07-18-2002, 09:37 PM   #3
(female)

FatAndDepressed HB User
chances are you are not infected, but it is a VERY good idea to get tested. just a quick comment on the "knowing the women" part. my moms boyfriend is also in a simular situations, although the outcome was quite different (as far as we know right now). anyway my mom and her boyfriend have been together for almost 2 years now. 3 months ago my mom had to get some bloodwork done for a doctor. they tested her for everything, she was clean, and disease free. also a couple months prior to her testing her boyfriend went on a cheating spree and slept with 3 or 4 women, all of whom hes known for many years. of course him and my mom worked out their problems and last week she went in to get more bloodwork done for a surgery she had scheduled. her results came in yesterday and it said my mom is hiv positive. we are praying the test was wrong, and right now the lab is conducting a western blot test, we will know the results early next week. her boyfriend went and got tested as soon as my moms results came in, so we will know his results next week too. as i said, hopefully, God willing, the results of this next test will be negative. my mom also already has a bad immune system from implants she recieved 18 years ago. i have no idea if she is truely positive if her already bad immune system will cause the hiv to effect her faster, we just pray shes negative. my point is though, that even if you think you know someone "really" good, and have known them for years, it does not neccessarily mean they are clean. maybe they are picky with who they see, but that doesn't mean they couldn't have slept with someone who was infected. and on another note, alot of people don't have any signs or sickness to indicate they have the hiv infection. there are ALOT of people who live many many years with the virus and never know, never have any symptoms or signs. my whole point is, while it is unlikely you have it, its still not safe for anyone (not just you, but everyone) to assume they have only been with "clean" partners, or if they had it they'd have some sort of symptom. hiv is a very unpredictable disease, just when they think they've figured it all out, they find something new. i am in no way claiming to be an expert on hiv/aids, but i have done so much reading and searching the internet and calling and talking to dozens of doctors today, that i did find out alot of things i didn't know. i figured i would share the information i found out with you. i am sure your test results will be negative, and you have nothing to worry about, so try not to worry too much. i know thats easier said than done. i wish you and your special woman the best, and take care of yourself. God bless!

Old 07-19-2002, 06:30 AM   #4
Inactive

Lady^ HB User
Well, why are you so worried about getting tested? It's not an unreasonable request and if it will make the woman feel better then go ahead and get it done.

Closed Thread