It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Transplants Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-07-2002, 09:57 PM   #1

Brown722 HB User
Question Lung transplants

I would like some information regarding lung transplants. I'm sure I'll come across as an idiot, but I don't know anything about this subject and my brother has cancer and I'm looking for help. Can you do live donor transplants of the lung...I mean, you can live with only one lung, can't you? I'm grasping at straws here, looking for a way to help him. He has soft tissue sarcoma, and we believe that it's now in his lungs, since he is coughing up blood, ect. I don't know if the type of cancer matters...or if you can even do a transplant if the lungs are cancerous. Please respond if you know anything...it's too late tonight to try to call a doctor, and I'm itching to do SOMETHING to help him. Thanks so much!

Old 11-08-2002, 07:48 AM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

wrin HB User
Mno. Partial lung transplants, yes, we're talking like, segments, of which there are ten to a lobe, or an entire lobe, of which you have five -- three in the right and two to the left, yes, you can do from a living donor. A whole lung.... I don't think so. In that case, we're talking people with cystic fibrosis, or a youngun with A1AD Emphysema.

They don't usually do transplants for lung cancer patients -- especially considering lung cancer metastasizes (spreads) very easily, or if he had a soft-tissue sarcoma that metastasized, they'll probably be afraid it'll spread to his new lungs.

I'm really sorry to say that the survival rate for lung cancer is really really crappy. I won't lie to you. It's a horrible way to die.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Closed Thread