It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Transplants Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-21-2009, 07:39 AM   #1
(female)

kttn86 HB User
Question Kidney Transplant question

Hi everyone. My mother is on the transplant list as she has two failing kidneys and does dialysis 7 days a week. She has received 4 calls. The first call didn't result in a trip to the hospital, they just told her to be ready. The second call she made it to the hospital but was sent home at registration. The third and fourth call we were at the hospital and she was prepped and they had drawn blood and various other tests and then sent home after about 14 hours. We were told each time that the kidney(s) were determined not to be acceptable for transplant.

Does anyone know how many times a person typically has to be called before an acceptable kidney is available?

Thanks for your time

Old 05-21-2009, 08:41 AM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

Cora1003 HB UserCora1003 HB UserCora1003 HB UserCora1003 HB UserCora1003 HB UserCora1003 HB UserCora1003 HB UserCora1003 HB UserCora1003 HB UserCora1003 HB UserCora1003 HB User
Re: Kidney Transplant question

It varies from person to person. I was called 8 times for a pancreas before it finally happened. Some folks are lucky and get it on the first shot, and others have a lot of "test runs" before they finally hit the money. Best of luck to your Mom. The fact that she keeps getting called means she's at the top of the list.

Cora

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 05-22-2009, 05:03 AM   #3
(female)

kttn86 HB User
Re: Kidney Transplant question

Thanks...wow 8 x! What an emotional roller coaster that must have been. I hope you are doing well. Thanks for the response. Maybe the 5th call will be the one for my mom

Old 08-10-2009, 11:48 PM   #4
Inactive
(female)

angieskidney HB User
Post Re: Kidney Transplant question

Quote:
Originally Posted by kttn86 View Post
Hi everyone. My mother is on the transplant list as she has two failing kidneys and does dialysis 7 days a week. She has received 4 calls. The first call didn't result in a trip to the hospital, they just told her to be ready. The second call she made it to the hospital but was sent home at registration. The third and fourth call we were at the hospital and she was prepped and they had drawn blood and various other tests and then sent home after about 14 hours. We were told each time that the kidney(s) were determined not to be acceptable for transplant.

Does anyone know how many times a person typically has to be called before an acceptable kidney is available?

Thanks for your time
I was called back a few times and they kept asking me if I was sure I wanted mine because it was damaged. Mine would have been one of those not suitable but it was borderline. They basically would have cancelled my transplant but since it was iffy and some of the team thought it would work they let me decide. they called me a few times asking me if I was sure.

So I got the transplant .. then it didn't work. 4 weeks later .. still on dialysis .. then 6 weeks .. with dialysis I was able to walk again because I had so much fluid on me at first that they gave me hoping the kidney would "wake up" as it didn't reject at all. I went to the computer room (media room) in the hospital and looked online for what ATN meant. They mentioned it to me but didn't explain what it meant other than "sleepy kidney". SO I wanted to know more. I found out that the kidney .. if it doesn't wake up by the 6th week ... probably never would. I was on the 6th week. The transplant team came in to apologize for the failed transplant. I told them DON'T GIVE UP ON ME YET! And a week later it started to work. I had already been sent home and was doing dialysis in my home city's center. I was happy when on checkup they said I didn't need to do it anymore. I was so happy! After all I was peeing a lot .. just had to wait for the kidney to filter out everything and clean the body's blood and all. It still doesn't work completely but just enough for me to be off the machine.

So perhaps my experience helps you in knowing that it is better to get a good kidney instead of one like I got. Mine is a 61 year old kidney but I was only 34 when I got it. They told me that it might only last 5 years. I wish I would have known that before I got it! The more transplants a person has the higher antibodies so you want a kidney that will last a long time (30 years for example). My first one only lasted 11 so I was hoping this one would last longer than that...

Good luck to you on getting a kidney transplant that is perfect for you!

Closed Thread