HealthBoards

HealthBoards (http://www.healthboards.com/boards/)
-   Transplants (http://www.healthboards.com/boards/transplants/)
-   -   C.O.P.D.-Lung Transplant-talk to someone who has gone through transplant process !!! (http://www.healthboards.com/boards/transplants/733384-c-o-p-d-lung-transplant-talk-someone-who-has-gone-through-transplant-process.html)

stevewilson 01-29-2010 06:59 AM

C.O.P.D.-Lung Transplant-talk to someone who has gone through transplant process !!!

Hi, I'd like to talk with someone who has gone through the Lung Transplant process !!! PLEASE !!! I'm a 54 year old male, have C.O.P.D., I'm on oxygen, have had lung colapses back in 2004 and had lobectomies done on the top portions of each lung !!! Also have occasional PANIC ATTACKS !!! Now my Dr. is suggesting LUNG TRANSPLANT, I've read some staticits on Transpland but would really like to talk with someone who has experienced the TRANSPLANT PROCESS !!!
THANKS,
stevewilson :)

kheady 10-01-2011 08:31 PM

Re: C.O.P.D.-Lung Transplant-talk to someone who has gone through transplant process

Hi, Sorry, I'm not one who has had a lung transplant, but I would also like to hear from someone who has. I have COPD and heard about a 70 year old woman having a successful lung transplant, so now I'm interested.
thanks, kheady

tabarbour 01-19-2012 10:45 AM

Re: C.O.P.D.-Lung Transplant-talk to someone who has gone through transplant process

Steve --

I just found this site, so I'm replying to your request three months late. I had a bilateral lung transplant one year and one day ago - three weeks before my 71st birthday.

I am a member of Second Wind (2ndwind.org) which is a site for pre- and post- lung transplant and their families and support people, and they have an active e-mail list that works like most internet forums.

I had some post-op complications, which extended my hospital stay longer than most, but if I could go back, I'd do it again. It can be scary at times, mainly waiting for your donor lungs, but from what I have seen, heard, and experienced, you can trust the lung transplant teams at just about Every center.

I'd be happy to answer any specific questions you may have.

Tom

One Lunger 01-26-2012 06:46 PM

Hi Steve

Im post op 7 years I had a left lung transplant Ive been pretty blessed
no major problems. If its your only option its worth the gamble IMHO.
It has some major changes to ones life style all the doctor visits and lots
of pills but its well worth it. You have a second chance at life not to
many of us get that. What ever you do I wish the best for you.

catblaster 06-05-2012 05:49 PM

Hi Steve

Hopefully I can fill you in soon. I'm going thru evaluation and with the Dr's blessing I will be listed very soon. If you have the ability to get a xplant then go for it....in my case and maybe yours, this is probably the only option that will allow you to live. In my case I won't see christmas without xplant and have just realized ther are people around me that want me to live.

At 54 you chances of coming thru this and living with new "air bags" seems pretty good if your health is maintained..Good luck. I'll get back to you as soon as my bags are installed. ;)

Positive Cynic 07-05-2012 12:24 PM

Hi Steve, My name is Lori and I am signed on under a friend who saw your letter. He knows that I have had a double lung transplant. I am 15 months out and by the way, I live in Butler PA so you are close. I have had some complications but nothing serious. I have felt wonderful since my surgery. I am 53 and feel like a new person. I could go on and on about a lot of different things. But whatever questions you have, I would be happy to answer if I can. You may contact Positive cynic to reach me since I am not a member of this site. Thank you. Hope I can help.