It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Transplants Message Board
Post New Thread   Reply Reply
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-26-2012, 04:50 PM   #1
(male)

chris772 HB User
Kidney transplant

I'm 21 and have IGA Nephopathy I've had it for four years and my doctor has said that in 3 to five years he expects me to need a transplant. My brother has offered me his if it comes to that. I have a few concerns about that seeing he has a 18 month old daughter and I'm not sure what are the risks associated with donating a kidney. I have a very supportive girl friend and I'm following a strict diet (low protein, low cholesterol and low sodium). I don't really know what I'm expecting with posting this but any help would be appreciated.

Old 11-29-2012, 08:01 AM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

Cora1003 HB UserCora1003 HB UserCora1003 HB UserCora1003 HB UserCora1003 HB UserCora1003 HB UserCora1003 HB UserCora1003 HB UserCora1003 HB UserCora1003 HB UserCora1003 HB User
Re: Kidney transplant

While every surgery has risks, the transplant centers check you 6 ways from Sunday for every possible thing. If your brother passes all the testing, he is healthy! My cousin gave me a kidney 10 years ago and she is doing fantastic. The risks are minimal. Think of it this way, if your brother was trapped in a burning building, would you run in to rescue him? Of course. And he would do the same for you. Except donating a kidney is much, much safer.

To give you an idea, I had a roommate in the hospital a while back and she was getting a kidney transplant. She had donated to her husband 10 years before and did lose her remaining kidney for unknown reasons. How many folks has my transplant center had this happen to? She was number 12 out of 5000 donors.

Don't forget, many folks are born with only one kidney and live their entire lives completely normally. There is some recovery period, but after that is over, he will be fine.

Feel free to ask me questions about the process. I read my cousins donor package and can tell you a lot.

Just as an aside, I was given the "3 to 5 year" thing too and it took over 20 years for my diabetes to torpedo my kidneys. It may be a very long time before you need any intervention.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 12-15-2013, 06:04 PM   #3
(male)

ChestyPuller HB User

Hello Chris, I am sorry to hear you may need a transplant, things now are very refined, I donated to my brother in 1987, and I have a scar about 12 inches long on my left side, and they had to remove my last rib on that side also. Recovery was a long time too, But my oldest brother father of two,donated his kidney to the same brother in 2008, and they took it out orthriscopically thru his belly button, he stayed in the hospital for 2 days, and he was told to rest at home for a week to 10 days and he could go back to work, ( office setting not construction ) which for donating an organ seemed really quick to me... You have a great brother, and I wish you both the best...Scott

Old 06-24-2014, 02:57 PM   #4
(male)

sirwin11 HB User

Im 24 and just had a kidney transplant with the donor being my brother , he is 29. Two and a half weeks after surgery he returned to his blue collar job and is doing fine. From my experience its more of a time commitment than anything for the donor, my brother never complained about pain or major lifestyle changes since the surgery.

I was on dialysis for almost two years and met many people at clinic who had been on transplant waiting lists for years because they had perfectly healthy family members who refused to donate let alone get tested to see if they were a match. So dont forget to thank him!

Last edited by mod85; 06-24-2014 at 08:54 PM.

Reply Reply

Tags
kidney