It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Trigeminal Neuralgia Message Board

Newly Diagnosed TN

Post New Thread   Reply Reply
LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 08-06-2017, 09:25 AM   #1
FlawedGenius
(male)

FlawedGenius HB User
Question Newly Diagnosed TN

Afternoon,

I had recently been diagnosed with TN after months of pain to try and get to the bottom of what was causing it. It was my wife who finally forced me to go to the ED where the doctor made the diagnosis.

I am currently on Gabapentin 300mg 3 times a day which has worked to preventing the pain however I am worried about coming off my medication in case the pains still there?

So my question is, what is the typical length of time other peoples symptoms last or are the constant once they flare up?

I don't want to be on tablets 24/7 however at the same time, I cannot bear to go through the pain ever again.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 08-06-2017, 10:08 AM   #2
Titchou
Facilitator
(female)

Titchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB User
Re: Newly Diagnosed TN

Unless you are a candidate for surgical repair of the trigeminal nerve, the condition will not resolve on it's own. You may be able to reduce the amount of medication but you would not be able to get off it altogether. My sister had the decompression surgery and says hers is about 90% gone.

Old 08-06-2017, 10:27 AM   #3
FlawedGenius
(male)

FlawedGenius HB User
Re: Newly Diagnosed TN

Quote:
Originally Posted by Titchou View Post
Unless you are a candidate for surgical repair of the trigeminal nerve, the condition will not resolve on it's own. You may be able to reduce the amount of medication but you would not be able to get off it altogether. My sister had the decompression surgery and says hers is about 90% gone.

Thank you for your feedback, I am starting to accept that I I'm likely to be on constant medication and that the pain is never to to totally leave me.

Reply Reply