It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Trigeminal Neuralgia Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-22-2003, 08:42 AM   #1
(female)

OHJELJ HB User
Exclamation Trigeminal Neuralgia - Emergency Question!

OK guys, emergency question:

I work with a woman who was just diagnosed without an exam or tests to have Trigeminal Neuralgia. Her symptoms are as follows:
1. Pains in the back of her head (Sharp)
2. Sharp pains around her left ear (under and next to it only on the left side.)
3. Has a history of pain in her jaw and problems with chewing in the past.

The problem being is that they have put her on Tegretal and told her she will be on it for six weeks. No other talk about what else could be the problem.

She is going out of town and doesn't have time to go another doctor for a second opinion and is very upset and concerned that they have put her on this strong med and left her to live with it.

I'm not sure what to tell her to do. My first instinct is it sounds like TMJD symptoms, but she needs to see someone asap. I thought she should hit the ER and play dumb to any prior treatment or diagnosis so she can have xrays etc....

Any thoughts? Advice? What type of meds could she get over the counter to tide her over until next week? She'll be out of town Wed. thru Sunday for work so she has to be on her game while she's gone too...

Any input would be greatly appreciated!
Thanks.
Jennifer

Old 04-22-2003, 09:01 AM   #2
Senior Veteran

Cymy Sue HB User
Hi Jennifer,

From what I've read, a true Trigeminal Neuralgia is not a common condition. TMJD can cause nerve pain.

The Trigeminal Nerves can be compressed by muscles, muscle spasms, damaged surgically, or irritated by other diseases.

Mine were surgically damaged and I was offered Tegretol. I had to have blood work and a liver work-up, BEFORE I could take it and was told these tests would be repeated often to insure that the drug was not causing serious problems. It's really rough on your liver. I decided not to take it.

It sounds like this diagnosis was made rather hastily and the proper tests were not done beforehand. It is a very strong drug and can have severe side effects.

I personally would try something else and I'm not sure what to tell you to do. I believe this is not a drug that should be just handed out like Tylenol.

This kind of pain is not easy to deal with. Your idea of a visit to the ER might get her something to take until she can have the proper test.

Cymy Sue

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 04-22-2003, 10:53 AM   #3
(female)

OHJELJ HB User
Hey Cymy Sue,

I was hoping you'd respond! Thanks. Come to find out, she's been wearing a bite plate for years and it's not been adjusted. What a lousy doctor! He didn't ask anything!

She's going to get on this site and read up a little to educate herself and then I'm going to try to find a general TMJ splint guy to check her out when she returns. My guys won't be much good to her...

I can't believe this jerk writes a script for six weeks worth of that strong medicine and says call if you have any problems! DUH!

Thanks again!
Jennifer

[Edited for cuss words. We are trying to reduce profanity on healthboards. Thanks for your cooperation - Well-come Moderator.]

[This message has been edited by Well-come (edited 04-23-2003).]

Old 04-22-2003, 11:21 AM   #4
Senior Veteran

Cymy Sue HB User
Jennifer,

You're a good friend to be looking out for her.
I hope she finds help and joins the board.

Many times, the road to help starts here.

Cymy Sue

Old 04-22-2003, 02:42 PM   #5
Senior Veteran

TiffanyAnn HB User
Hi Jennifer:
Your friends doctor sounds like so many doctors these days. Good grief, I hope she finds help soon.
Tiffany

Old 04-22-2003, 06:03 PM   #6

SCarpenter333 HB User
Thumbs up

Bravo to all of you! I am truly glad for this site, and for all of you working together to help each other out. Way to go!
Shelly

Closed Thread