It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Trigeminal Neuralgia Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-04-2004, 10:40 AM   #1
(female)

plkelly HB User
trigeminal neuralgia and TMJ?

Does anyone here have trigeminal neuralgia along with TMJ? What are you doing/taking for it?
I also visit the neuralgia board, but thought I'd see if anyone here has both, too.
Patsy

Old 06-04-2004, 08:19 PM   #2

BLACKdragon78 HB User
Re: trigeminal neuralgia and TMJ?

plkelly,
What is trigeminal neuralgia? symptoms?

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 06-05-2004, 10:51 AM   #3

BLACKdragon78 HB User

davesfancy,
Ya I have the same symptoms and none of the medications I've tried have worked except for neurontin. It all makes sense now, I probably have a nerve problem. Of course, I'm only taking 200 mg every 8 hrs so I believe that if I do go up on the dose that my pain wont be as intense. However, I have to be careful when taking any medications because in the past I started having heart palpitations and I did have one episode with neurontin. Anyhow thanks for the info. you have been a great help and just a quick question. Does neurontin go through the kidneys or liver?

-Mary

Last edited by BLACKdragon78; 06-05-2004 at 10:52 AM.

Old 06-05-2004, 01:17 PM   #4
(female)

plkelly HB User

Your description of trigeminal neuralgia is accurate. The trigeminal nerve is the 5th facial nerve. When I have it (I sometimes go for 3 or 4 months without it) there are trigger points I learn to stay away from. Can't touch the side of my nose, for example, or many times the side of my tongue. Any triggers cause torturous pain that last only for seconds but seem like hours. Then when the pain goes away, it does so completely until the next attack.
And I could be wrong, but I think I read on the neurontin web site that it goes through the liver.
Patsy

Old 06-05-2004, 06:46 PM   #5

BLACKdragon78 HB User

plkelly,
Well, I dont think I have trigeminal neuralgia after reading more about it, guess I'll find out when I have my MRI's. I might have something similar to it like Atypical facial Pain, constant aching and stabbing pain. Anyhow, I'm sorry you have TN it must be awful. I heard that it is one of the most painful disorders. I hope that there is medication out there that helps.

-Mary

Last edited by BLACKdragon78; 06-05-2004 at 06:51 PM.

Old 06-05-2004, 08:44 PM   #6
(female)

Ann123 HB User

[QUOTE=. Does neurontin go through the kidneys or liver?

-Mary [/QUOTE]

Neurontin goes through the kidneys; it is not metabolized through the liver.

Old 06-05-2004, 09:37 PM   #7
(female)

Ann123 HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by davesfancy
.i did find a description more along the pain i have called "atypical" trigeminal neuralgia. the dull, constant, debilitating, longing for decapitation, kind of pain.

heidi
you are correct heidi, trigeminal neuralgia presents in an atypical form as well. Often this is pre-trigeminal neuralgia. In atypical TN, the pain is less intense but constant. It is relieved when sleeping and does not wake a person up. In the atypical form the pain is usually very localized in one of the three branches of the nerve - eye/temple; ear/nose/mid face; or lower jaw/teeth. It is usually one-sided. However, when one has TMJ it is very difficult to determine if it is atypical TN or a compression/irritation of the trigeminal nerve from the TMJ disorder. The nerve pain medicine may be helping your pain now because you have some irritation of this nerve and once you get your TMJ problems under control you won't need the medicine anymore.
Ann

Old 06-06-2004, 11:05 AM   #8

BLACKdragon78 HB User

Ann123,
My symptoms are constant pulsating pain on one side like you said and when I do any movement it increases so when I wake up from sleeping it isn't as extreme. Of course this constant pain is tender all around the write side of my face, it has swollen the back side of my neck, and shoots all the way down to my foot and increases on my back (right side). I realized that if I press on the joints in my foot the pain radiates to my back and then to my jaw. The stabbing pain feels like it in my joints (all on one side). What do you think? Do I have Atypical facial pain?

-Mary

Last edited by BLACKdragon78; 06-06-2004 at 11:08 AM.

Old 06-06-2004, 11:09 AM   #9

BLACKdragon78 HB User

Ann123,
Thanks for the info. about neurontin.

Old 06-06-2004, 08:47 PM   #10
(female)

Ann123 HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by BLACKdragon78
Ann123,
My symptoms are constant pulsating pain on one side like you said and when I do any movement it increases so when I wake up from sleeping it isn't as extreme. Of course this constant pain is tender all around the write side of my face, it has swollen the back side of my neck, and shoots all the way down to my foot and increases on my back (right side). I realized that if I press on the joints in my foot the pain radiates to my back and then to my jaw. The stabbing pain feels like it in my joints (all on one side). What do you think? Do I have Atypical facial pain?

-Mary
Mary, Your symptoms don't sound like atypical trigeminal neuralgia. Or if it is you have something else going on too. I say this because the TN pain does not radiate throughout the body. It is very localized to the affected branch of the trigeminal nerve. It does not affect joints in the rest of the body nor does it cause swelling. You could have atypical facial pain, but tmj is more likely as in your case more than your face is affected. Have you been to a rheumatologist? If you are questioning the TMJ diagnosis, I'd probably head in that direction next, especially since it is in your joints where you feel pain.
Just my humble opinion though. Ann

Old 06-07-2004, 06:28 PM   #11

BLACKdragon78 HB User
Smile Re: trigeminal neuralgia and TMJ?

Ann123,
Hello, I haven't been to a rheumatologist (spelled correctly?). I don't think I have arthritis because my joints aren't swollen at all, just my neck muscle. Anyhow, thanks for answering my question about whether I have TN or not. I also believe now, that I probably dont have it.

Yes, of course I have TMJD I never have questioned that from the beginning, this pain all throughout my right side is kind of recent. I've always had pain in my jaw, tension headaches, etc. but this pain on my right side is driving me crazy. However, my pain today is a lot less than it was a couple of days ago. Thank goodness

-MARY

Old 06-07-2004, 07:35 PM   #12
(female)

Ann123 HB User

oops; messed up

Last edited by Ann123; 06-07-2004 at 08:58 PM.

Old 06-07-2004, 07:41 PM   #13
(female)

Ann123 HB User

Hi Mary,

I am glad you are feeling better. TMJD can shoot all the way down when it flare up, I've heard. I mentioned a rheumi - well, they test for lots of things besides arthritis that can cause joint pain. But if it is lessening then maybe you were just extra inflamed for some reason, you think. You're not on any new meds are you? I know when I started Neurontin I had a lot of joint pain and lo and behold I read it was a side effect. It diminished after a bit. That is bothersome about pressing on your foot and it shooting up. That sounds like a pinched nerve of some sort, doesn't it? well, hopefully, it will go away.
take care, Ann

Old 06-07-2004, 09:34 PM   #14

BLACKdragon78 HB User
Wink Re: trigeminal neuralgia and TMJ?

Ann,
Ya, I do think TMD can cause pain in the arm and hand, but my TMD doctor seems to be confused. He also thinks its a nerve problem in my spine because my neck (on the right side) is swollen but doesn't really know the answer. Anyhow, the medications I'm on are zoloft and neurontin. I've been on zoloft for over a year and just recently went up on it. It could be I'm clenching more, I bit a hole into my device recently and have been breaking parts of the device in the back when I wear it at night. My TMD doctor says the neurontin should lessen this problem.

I have been stressed. College has been going downhill for me. My TMD symptoms flared up every time I took a test or studied and I couldn't concentrate. Now, I am taking some classes in the summer (self-paced), still stressed, but doing very well.

THANKS for your support. I read that you are going to see a physiatrist (did I spell it right?) I've never even heard of one. Maybe I'll see one if I can afford it. Good Luck!

-MARY

Old 06-08-2004, 07:24 AM   #15
Inactive

westin4 HB User

Mary,
I hope things are lessoning for you with all you are going through. I wanted to let you know that sometimes the ssri's are known to making clenching and nighttime grinding worse, something you might want to think of with being on Zoloft. Several of us have had this problem with them. I had to get off of ssri's totally to help with mine so I take Trazadone now instead. It is not an ssri and is in fact quite an old anti.

Good luck!
Karen

Closed Thread