It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Trigeminal Neuralgia Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-27-2004, 11:58 PM   #1

SlainteMhath HB User
Question occipital neuralgia....will the pain go away in 48 hrs?

Hi there!!
Sunday I woke up with an excruciating headache and found a lump on the back of my head. Later that nite above the lump became numb and tingling. Went to the hospital today and the doc said it was occipital neuralgia and gave me a shot of cortisone directly in the lump. He said Id feel numbness all over and burning, but I didnt and I didnt find it helped either. He recommended i take Motrin very 6 hrs and said it should be gone by 48 hrs.
Its early Tues morning and its no better...still sore, still numb/tingling and the lump is still the size of an egg.
After reading some info online and responses from others, im worried...will it just go away???? Am i gonna be prone to this??
I had the flu previous to waking up with this...there is no way I hurt my head..only straining my neck possibly when sleeping.
If this isnt better by tomorrow should I seek more help? What meds usually help???

Thanks so much in Advance!

Old 09-28-2004, 06:09 PM   #2
Inactive

daydreamer504 HB User
Re: occipital neuralgia....will the pain go away in 48 hrs?

If it's really occipital neuralgia, then anti-inflammatories (which cortisone is), muscle relaxers and pain killers help. Have you tried rotating moist heat (hot moist towel from microwave) and ice on the lump? I would call my PCP tomorrow for advice.

It sounded like O.N., but I could have thought you would have gotten SOME relief from the injection...that's pretty strong stuff.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 09-29-2004, 09:02 PM   #3

SlainteMhath HB User
Re: occipital neuralgia....will the pain go away in 48 hrs?

Thanks Daydreamer for replying!!
I went to the hospital last nite..cant see my family doc til Fri. Its no better..in fact teh tingling/numbness/freezing feeling seems to be worse. The doc just prescribed Tylenol #3 and said if its not gone by Mon , I should see a neurologist.

Im so frustrated and in pain. The pain is one thing, but this numbing feeling is hard to cope with...even feels when I read or use my brain at all, it worsens!arghh

Once again. thanks....I find it rare here that ppl respond

Closed Thread