It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Trigeminal Neuralgia Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-03-2005, 01:11 PM   #1
Inactive

Jewel2 HB User
Question Trigeminal neuralgia and referred pain question

Hi,
This is my first post to this board. I usually post on the RSD board (I have RSD) and the MS board.

For the last few years I have experienced intense shooting pains to the top of my head. Sometimes on just one side, but sometimes I get an echo pain to the other side as well.

A few days ago I had a similar type shooting pain behind my eyes - the most intense in my left eye, followed by and echo pain in my right.

Since then, I have had increasing headache like pain behind my eyes, worse on the left side. Last night I had a borderline migraine behind my eyes. The weird thing is that while I'm having this eye headache, I feel a little pain in the top of my head, in the same place that I get the shooting pains.

I went to my opthalmologist yesterday. He said the only way to know if it is TN is to have an MRI. He also said that the chronic eye pain is from my very dry eyes and he prescribed drops. But it seems too coincidental to me.

My question is, can TN refer the shooting pains to the top of the head, or do you think that is something entirely different? I realize that none of you are doctors, but just opinions from experience or past reading about this would be helpful.

Thank you very much.
Julie

Old 03-05-2005, 07:32 AM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

twisten HB User
Re: Trigeminal neuralgia and referred pain question

I've just been diagnosed with TN on the left side of my head. I get migraines on that side also but these are nothing like that. I get terrible shock like pains when its acting up. I honestly can't say exactly where they are coming from other than the left side of my head. I'm sorry to hear you have these also as they aren't pleasant. I usually post in the pain management forum but just happened to run across this post.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 03-07-2005, 11:17 AM   #3
(female)

stockcarsrus HB User

I had an MRI on my spine and my neuro tells me that I have arthritis in my neck. I was having an unbearable headache on the left side and terrible behind my left eye for weeks at a time. Just to let you know in case it is that...

Take Care

Old 03-12-2005, 08:14 AM   #4
Inactive

Jewel2 HB User

Thanks for the replies. I still have no idea what's going on, but it hasn't bothered me lately, so for that I am grateful!

Old 03-25-2005, 08:25 PM   #5
(female)

k9stylist HB User

Jewel,
just went through dx with neuro for TN, however this is not what I have. can tell you that MRI doesn't nessacarily show that you have TN even if you do. It is more of a clinical diagnosis. From what I remember though the trigeminals do not go all the way to the top of the head. I have had similar pains from pinched nerve in my neck, about the nastiest headaches I've ever had too. just my 2 cents for ya.

Closed Thread