It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Trigeminal Neuralgia Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-13-2005, 11:03 AM   #1
Inactive
(male)

CBarrett HB User
Facial Neuralgia

Hi,
Last year I started having some tingling feelings or "fullness/tightness" around my left temple. I saw a neurologist who said my neurological examination was perfect, and sometimes you can have some over stimulation of the nerves, he gave me some sample medication to try if it became bothersome, but that was that.
About a month ago, the tingling and feelings of fullness, and just plain out funny feelings around my temple have gotten much worse, they are usually always their (I'm having them right now), and I went back to see him.
Last week I had an MRI of my brain, and it showed I had a small cyst in my brain I was probably born with, and I had sinuitis. The doctor called to tell me this, but still tells me not to be concerned, he said that it didnt' show any tumors, mass's, or growths, and nothing pushing on any nerves.
But this is becoming almost like a disability, sometimes I feel like somethings under my skin, around my left eye, eyebrow, temple, etc. I'm only 24 years old and I've never had any head trauma to sustain this. On friday I see him for a follow up to go over some treatment options and get an explanation for all of this. Plus, to top things off tommorow I'm getting braces put on, to help straighten my teeth (obviously) but also to help align my jaw as I've had some TMJ problems with my left ear.
If anyone knows anything or can help out at all please just post. I am so scared and dissapointed and depressed its been really difficult to get through all of this.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 10-13-2005, 04:21 PM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

Hangin in There HB User
Re: Facial Neuralgia

My mom has had trigeminal neuraligia, pain in the face, for almost 24 years. Sometimes she'll get shooting type sensations going from her cheek to her eye. I feel sorry for her.

Old 11-21-2005, 04:46 PM   #3
(female)

camchase HB User
Re: Facial Neuralgia

CBarrett, I have been diagnosed with Burning Mouth Syndrome with a secondary diagnosis of facial neuralgia. It was caused by a horrible dental procedure (and an incompetent dentist) that I had to have redone. I went from dr. to dr. and dentist to periodontist, to the emergency room, and back to dr. to dr. trying to get a diagnosis. Most of them kept looking at me like they really didn't believe I was actually having these problems. I finally was referred to a neurologist that saved me.

I had severe scalding in my mouth, especially when I spoke, and the pain started at the top of my front teeth and spread outward in a "V" shape up my face to the top of my forehead.

I am on 3 different medications now and the symptoms are starting to come under control. The burning, or scalding, has lessened and as long as I take my medications everyday I can keep the pain mostly under control.

I hope you find out what is causing your problems and if you aren't satisfied, make sure you go to another dr. (and another one after him if you don't get the help you need.) My neurologist said that the BMS is rare and he was able to diagnose it so quickly only because he had done a research on it about 6 months ago. He said most dr.s wouldn't have known what it was or how to treat it.

Take care and don't lose heart. Take control yourself and don't stop until you are helped.

My prayers go out to you,

Camchase

Closed Thread