It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Trigeminal Neuralgia Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-11-2006, 09:01 AM   #1
(female)

Melissa765 HB User
Angry Neuralgia, and now sciatica?? Please help--somewhat worried about numbess/pain!

Let me give you a little bit of my history: Almost 2 years ago I was injured on
a roller coaster (I came out of the seat, landed wrong, and got severe
whiplash). Ever since then I've had neck and back problems -- I'm under 16. I've tried 3 courses of physical therapy (which only aggravated the problem),
massage, chiropractic care, etc., etc. Three of my doctors have told me that I have "the tightest traps" they've ever felt, so I am now scheduled for Botox
injections in my neck, trapezial muscles, and down my C and T spine. After
seeing a neurologist, I was finally diagnosed with cervical plexus and brachial
plexus neuralgia. I guess this is because I also have numbess and pain that
radiates down my arms (???).
I've been unable to really do anything phyically, and the only time I'm not in
excruciating pain (still in SOME pain though) is when I'm laying flat on my back -- no walking, sitting, standing, etc. I've been out of school for almost 6 months now as well.

Now for my question: For the last three days I've been having pain from the
lower lumbar region of my spine (I'd guess L4-L5), down my right leg. I also
have numbness, and my right foot feels very, very cold compared to my left one. The pain is mostly down the BACK on my leg (from the L4 area to the back of my knee), but there's no pain in my calf. The pain in my thigh almost feels like when you hit your elbow (that weird, almost "stinging" sensation).
This has gotten worse over the past few days, and today, I can barely walk at all. Depending on the position I lay it, I can temorarily make it go away, but especially when I walk, sit straight up, or lean forward, it gets much worse and I almost lose all sensation on my foot. Could this be sciatica? Or an extension of neuralgia? I know that there's not much that you can do for nerve pain (I've tried everything, but no medication helped so I just deal with it on my own), and I've had numerous MRIs and x-rays which show nothing but mild scoliosis and a reversal of the natural curvature in my C-spine, so I wouldn't really want to go back into the neurologist if there's nothing they can do anyway.

Also, my right hand is completely numb and freezing cold (while my left one is normal feeling/normal temperature). Could that be related to the leg thing going on, or do you think it's probably just the existing neuralgia coincidentally being on the same side and the leg pain?

Thanks so much if you can help!!!

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 06-11-2006, 09:45 AM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

pooby HB Userpooby HB Userpooby HB Userpooby HB Userpooby HB Userpooby HB User
Re: Neuralgia, and now sciatica?? Please help--somewhat worried about numbess/pain!

Get back to your doctor. You probably have a bulging or herniated disc in your lower back and since the symptoms have started since your last MRI it could be a new condition. I do think that the neurologist should see you again since your symptoms are not on the mend. Sometimes when you don't go back to see a doctor they assume that you are on the mend. In your case that just isn't so. There could be something systemic going on rather than simple DDD. Don't screw around looking for an answer on the internet rather than being examined by a physician. Medical boards can be very informative but they never take the place of a good examination done by a qualified practitioner.

Big Hug

Pooby

Old 06-11-2006, 04:44 PM   #3
Senior Veteran
(female)

lfoster21 HB User
Wink Re: Neuralgia, and now sciatica?? Please help--somewhat worried about numbess/pain!

Melissa, I am sorry you are still going through so much. I remember you from over a yr. ago when I was about to have my fusion and I had hoped that maybe things had gotten better for you. I do'nt have the answers you are looking for but i will keep you in my prayers. Let us know what your Drs. say and I hope you get your answers.

Lorie

Old 06-12-2006, 07:26 AM   #4
(female)

Melissa765 HB User
Re: Neuralgia, and now sciatica?? Please help--somewhat worried about numbess/pain!

Thanks very much!!! I'll do the same for you!

P.S. How did your fusion go? Do you have any relief?

Old 06-12-2006, 08:29 AM   #5
Senior Veteran
(female)

lfoster21 HB User
Wink Re: Neuralgia, and now sciatica?? Please help--somewhat worried about numbess/pain!

Unfortanatly the fusion did fail and I have just recently had it re fused. I am hopful that this one works . Thanks for asking.

Hugs and prayers,
Lorie

Old 06-12-2006, 01:40 PM   #6
(female)

Melissa765 HB User
Smile Re: Neuralgia, and now sciatica?? Please help--somewhat worried about numbess/pain!

Thanks again, and I'm sorry to hear that it didn't work. :-( Hopefully you (and I!) will find some solutions/relief soon. These back problems are driving me crazy!!! LOL

Just thought I'd update -- I ended up going to the neurologist today (she's been very helpful... in fact probably the most of all the doctors I'm seeing), and it IS sciatica! YAY! Not that sciatica is good by any means, but at least it's not something more serious. She said that it's probably just aggitated from doing a project for school (sitting for 3 hrs. straight), but to make sure that I didn't do any damage to a disc, she ordered a 4th lumbar MRI. Hopefully some answers finally!

Take care,

Mel

Closed Thread