It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Trigeminal Neuralgia Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-17-2007, 08:05 AM   #1
(male)

cm2007 HB User
Trigeminal Nerve disorder?

When I gently run my finger along the slope of my nose in between the bridge and corner of my eye, I feel a slight (not painful) sensation right above my ear. I've done a little research and it seems as if I'm touching the "trigeminal nerve" which may, in turn, cause the sensation I feel above my ear. Has anyone heard of symptoms such as this and could this be a symptom of something serious? Again, I have no pain associated with this and I have no other symptoms unless I touch my face in that one spot.

I've been trying to pin this thing down ($ short, can't afford to see a doctor) and any help would be much appreciated.

Old 07-27-2007, 01:57 PM   #2
(female)

mediklproblem05 HB User
Re: Trigeminal Nerve disorder?

Quote:
Originally Posted by cm2007 View Post
When I gently run my finger along the slope of my nose in between the bridge and corner of my eye, I feel a slight (not painful) sensation right above my ear. I've done a little research and it seems as if I'm touching the "trigeminal nerve" which may, in turn, cause the sensation I feel above my ear. Has anyone heard of symptoms such as this and could this be a symptom of something serious? Again, I have no pain associated with this and I have no other symptoms unless I touch my face in that one spot.

I've been trying to pin this thing down ($ short, can't afford to see a doctor) and any help would be much appreciated.
Hey! I have a disease called Trigeminal Neuralgia. I have had it for 5 or 6 years now or I guess I should say I was diagnosed then. Mine had gotten progressivly worse over the years. I finally got to a Neurologist and they did some test to make sure I didn't have anything else. But to make a long story short I take medication to help with the pain. I have alot of problems with my Trigeminal nerve and often very painful. Mine is mostly in the right side of my face. I just had a tooth pulled in the right side of my mouth and it has affected my nerve bad. There are websites that you can get on that will give you more information. I suggest that you do some looking at the disease and see if maybe you do not have this. Talk to your doctor. It can be controlled. Sometimes mine is not painful it is just a constant irritation. Good luck!

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 08-06-2007, 08:04 PM   #3
(female)

gdschillins HB User

I have TN. The pain is undescribable. However after my wisdom teeth were pulled out afew years ago the pain seems not to come on so often. there are times I wonder what I've done to aggravate it but it's definetly not as often as it was. The doctors think mine was caused because of a brain surgery I had a few months before it started up. I also have a pain sensation when i touch my nerve--i've learned not too! Usually the short pain leads to more and I'm not one to take my meds!

Old 08-13-2007, 03:08 PM   #4
(female)

saraiderin HB User
Unhappy Re: Trigeminal Nerve disorder?

When ever I read of anyone having Trigeminal Neuralgia (TN)I want to cry. This is a pain I would not wish on anyone. I am going in for Micro Vascular Decompression Surgery to treat my TN. It is the most invasive of all the TN proceedures but, it is the best chance of a cure. Two Neurosurgeons have told me there is no garentees but I am willing to give it a try. After 27 months of dealing with the pain of a full blown TN relapse I am tired!!!

This is only my 2nd post here. I am glad I have found you all. It helps to know I am not alone.

Best wishes,
Saraid

Old 08-14-2007, 10:44 AM   #5
(female)

sunshine2390 HB User

I just posted a message about my situation and I see by reading this thread that you have TN. I just wondered since the doctors are trying to see if I have it, if could describe the kind of pain you have or how yours began. I am 27 years old and was told it occurs mostly in women and women who are over 50. My pain is a dull constant ache near my root canaled teeth (3 months ago had root canals). Nothing triggers the pain. It is just there. Any info you can share would be helpful to me.

Old 08-14-2007, 11:36 AM   #6
(female)

saraiderin HB User

My worst TN sign is the constant pain in my teeth. It feels like every tooth on the left side of my mouth is full of cavites. I have gone to the denist 7 times to be told nothing is wrong with my teeth. I also get the electric shock pains to my left cheek. It feels like someone is hitting my check with a live wire. This alerted the neurosurgeon that there was a good chance a micro vascular compression was the cause of the problem. He ordered a TN protocol MRI and sure enough he was right. I have a large artery hitting the nerve at the point where the nerve exits the brainstem. I also have two blood vessels tangled up in the nerve at the same point. Many causes of TN are dental in nature. It can be hard to find a denist who knows about TN. The best I found is Dr. Henry Gremillion, who heads the facial pain center at the University of Florida Dental School. One thing I love about Dr. Gremillion is he is not afraid to refer patients to neurologists or neurosurgeons if he determines the problem is not dental in nature. He also is very compassionate and has a wonderful sense of humor. The fact that he is at the University of Florida is just icing on the cake for me. Yes, I am a Gator fan. I wish you well. This can be challenging. Know that you are not alone. Saraid

Old 08-14-2007, 11:44 AM   #7
(female)

saraiderin HB User

age is not always a indicator of TN. I am 44 and been dealing with this for years. The Trigeminal Neuralgia Assocation has had parents of patients as young as 11 calling in for information. I know of a baby as young as four years old having TN, who is being helped by medication. If your denist has ruled out dental problems as a cause the next step would be to see a neurologist. I have a friend your age who has TN since he was 22. It is just more common in older people. Like the mother of the 11 yr old TN patient told me, as long as you have nerves and blood vessels you can be a risk for TN at any age. I hope this helps. Hang in there. There answers out there. Sarah

Old 08-29-2007, 06:54 PM   #8
(male)

russtoo HB User

Hi;

I wonder, is brain surgery superior to Gamma Knife radiation?
I know a person who had MVD and a year later has the pain again.
Haven't studied it much but have heard TN termed, "the suicide pain". It can be that severe and chronic.
Best wishes to you!

Russ

Quote:
Originally Posted by saraiderin View Post
When ever I read of anyone having Trigeminal Neuralgia (TN)I want to cry. This is a pain I would not wish on anyone. I am going in for Micro Vascular Decompression Surgery to treat my TN. It is the most invasive of all the TN proceedures but, it is the best chance of a cure. Two Neurosurgeons have told me there is no garentees but I am willing to give it a try. After 27 months of dealing with the pain of a full blown TN relapse I am tired!!!

This is only my 2nd post here. I am glad I have found you all. It helps to know I am not alone.

Best wishes,
Saraid

Old 08-30-2007, 06:58 PM   #9
(female)

saraiderin HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by russtoo View Post
Hi;

I wonder, is brain surgery superior to Gamma Knife radiation?
I know a person who had MVD and a year later has the pain again.
Haven't studied it much but have heard TN termed, "the suicide pain". It can be that severe and chronic.
Best wishes to you!

Russ
I know a lot of people who have had failed MVDS. The issue for me is two fold. Gamma Knife doesn't deal with the underlying issue. It just cuts the nerve so the pain signals do not get through. I do not want to have radiation used on my brain. I know the radiation is very pin point accurate still, no thank-you.

MVD deals with the main cause of TN1. When the pain comes back, many things could be in play. Things missed, a new micro vasular compression. What is vital is that you have a TN protocol MRI done. Even then I have had two neurosurgeons tell me they almost always find things that do not show up on the MRI. If you are looking for good information I suggest you check out the TNA website. I am not sure if I can post about their website here. You can find them on the internet. I wish your friend the very best. Sarah

Old 09-26-2007, 10:23 AM   #10
(female)

NattyNat HB User

I am 35. My saga started similarly. My heart goes out to you.

Closed Thread