It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Trigeminal Neuralgia Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-16-2007, 06:07 AM   #1
(female)

Angela1977 HB User
Headaches on left side of head - Occipital Neuralgia??

Hi,
For the past few months or so, I've had headaches on the left side of my head. Most of the time I feel a sort of jabbing pain or throbbing on the left side for a few seconds and then it goes away. This happens throughout the day and is no worse at any time of the day. There have been some days where I don't feel the throbbing at all. Most of the time, the headache I feel is the occasional jab, but I also may have dull headaches on the left side lasting a few hours. It is not interfering too much with my life, but it is enough to concern me because it is only occurring on one side. There have been a couple times in the past few months when it is more than a dull headache...and was throbbing for an extended amount of time during the day. I also have a pain in the upper left side of my neck. When I rotate my head, it is hard to rotate it to that side because it is very sore. A couple weeks before the headaches started, I tripped and hit the left side of my head on a table...it was hard enough to give me a bump on the left side and it hurt for a couple days. But the headaches didn't start for a week or two after that. I was doing some research and it almost sounds like I have Occipital Neuralgia. I did see my doctor who said it sounds muscular, but that I can get an MRI to see if we can figure out what is causing the headaches. I'm wondering if I should try to see a chiropractor too. If any of you are experiencing the same symptoms, could you please reply to this post and let me know? I would appreciate it!

Angela

Last edited by Angela1977; 10-16-2007 at 06:09 AM.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 10-17-2007, 02:08 AM   #2
(female)

Jaime_Aus HB User
Re: Headaches on left side of head - Occipital Neuralgia??

Hi Angela,

You symptoms of headaches, throbbing or jabbing pain on one side of your head, does sound a bit like Occipital Neuralgia. I have Occipital Neuralgia, and have continual pain on the left side.
But having hit your head, it could have caused nerve damage or other problems with your neck. I think it's best to get it checked out and have the MRI to rule out any other problem. Neuralgia won't show on an MRI, it's just a case of ruling everything else out first. That's why it took quite a while to get my diagnosis!

~Jaime~

Old 04-09-2008, 10:59 AM   #3
(female)

janice08 HB User
Re: Headaches on left side of head - Occipital Neuralgia??

Hi Jamie and Angela,

Back in Feb 08 I was finally diagnosed with what my Neurogist described as "probable" suboccipital neuralgia.

Headache on the left side of of my head - not sharp - just a constant ongoing dull and heavy pain which began 3 years ago. I then thought I had a brain turmor and immediately had an MRI. I was told it was not a brain tumor. The pain sort of went away except occasionally, then it came back and I had another MRI to compare to the first test and was told your brain change as you get older and there is nothing wrong.... I am 55. finally I had the third MRI just a couple of months ago as I had and still having constant pain with the pressure point seeming to be on the left side of my neck and up and behind the skull. I also have a crackling feeling in the left side of my neck which began recently.

My Neurologist now asked if I want to go through with injections, and therapy although he is not certain that this is what my problem is. I am totally not my self with this headache every minute of the day and know it will never go away. Have you found any medication that will help you? I have not been prescribed any at all. I look forward to hearing from you.

Kind Regards,

Janice

Closed Thread