It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Trigeminal Neuralgia Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-24-2007, 03:33 PM   #1
(male)

KyleG HB UserKyleG HB User
Red face Trigeminal Nerve causing pain while eating?

Since I was little I would always get this sharp intense pain as soon as I put food in my mouth start to chew my food. Right as it touches my cheek inside my mouth I would get the pain. It's just an intense burning feeling that makes me cringe everytime it happens. It lasts for about 3 seconds and then goes away. The weird thing is, this only happens the first or second time I begin to eat. After that it doesn't happen anymore. It happens on both sides of my faces depending on which side the food goes in. The pain feels like it is in the nerves that originate right in front of my ear. Sometimes I can feel it slightly if I think about it and move my saliva around.

Does anyone know what this could be? Could it be the Trigeminal Nerve?

Old 12-28-2007, 08:18 PM   #2
(male)

Re: Trigeminal Nerve causing pain while eating?

anyone????

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 12-29-2007, 05:58 AM   #3
Facilitator
(female)

Titchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB User

Doesn't sound like it. My sister had TN and this never happened to her.

Old 12-30-2007, 01:24 PM   #4
(male)

even if it isn't, aren't they the nerves that are in that part of the face.

Old 12-30-2007, 02:13 PM   #5
Facilitator
(female)

Titchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB User

On the right side...is all your pain on the right side?

Old 12-31-2007, 04:05 PM   #6
(male)

nope it happens on both side, but because when I put food in my mouth I usually use my right side to chew first and then it moves over to my left.

This happens on both sides.

What I have discovered is that this seems to happen when the saliva glands are stimulated (by food or w/e) because it happens during eating and sometimes I can even feel it (although not as intense) by just like...focusing on it and moving saliva in my mouth. So it has something to do with the saliva glands.

Old 12-31-2007, 05:07 PM   #7
Facilitator
(female)

That would seem to make more sense.

Old 01-01-2008, 03:58 PM   #8
(male)

I am currently seeing a doctor in philly and she is determining whether or not I have acid reflux. I am scheduled for 2 more tests at the end of January where I have to stay overnight. We are taking this one step at a time and I wanted to see if anyone here could help me figure this out so I know what direction to go in after the tests.

Has anyone ever heard of this kind of problem at all? The only thing that I have found on the internet with the saliva glands are about them being enlarged and stones, but those can't be it.

Old 01-07-2008, 07:01 PM   #9
Senior Veteran
(female)

goldyfm HB Usergoldyfm HB Usergoldyfm HB User

I suffer from Trigeminal Neuralgia and I don't think it can just be identified with eating. My symptoms are a lightning bolt pain that radiates from the area of the head above the ear and feels as if your scalp is on fire. It happens kind of sequenced in me and an attack can last for days. It is as if the opening of the mouth or yawning while in an attack can trigger the sensation but I don't think that eating affects it other than you are having this intense pain sensation that is almost paralyzing pain. I wonder if you have been evaluated for TMJ. It can have some unusual sensations. I have that as well but the pain is totally different.

Old 01-13-2008, 09:14 AM   #10
(male)

I went to a doctor who determined that my bite was extremely off and that I needed braces before he could do anything further.

The doctor I am seeing in philly suspected TMJ as well for my other problems.

But this problem however, I have been having ever since I was very little. I had no problems with TMJ at that time. I didn't start getting symptoms for TMJ until just last year.

Old 03-06-2008, 05:14 PM   #11
Senior Veteran
(female)

daylight568 HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by KyleG View Post
Since I was little I would always get this sharp intense pain as soon as I put food in my mouth start to chew my food. Right as it touches my cheek inside my mouth I would get the pain. It's just an intense burning feeling that makes me cringe everytime it happens. It lasts for about 3 seconds and then goes away. The weird thing is, this only happens the first or second time I begin to eat. After that it doesn't happen anymore. It happens on both sides of my faces depending on which side the food goes in. The pain feels like it is in the nerves that originate right in front of my ear. Sometimes I can feel it slightly if I think about it and move my saliva around.

Does anyone know what this could be? Could it be the Trigeminal Nerve?

Wow,I can't believe I finally found someone else on the internet who has this.I have had the same EXACT thing you have all my life.I never knew what it was, and everyone just thought it was just weird. Its exactly like you have described it .I have searched the internet out of curiosity wondering what causes this or if anyone else has it but never found anything about it or anyone else who has it till now.
If you ever find out what causes it,please post.
My bf thinks its my body telling me not to eat.

Old 03-07-2008, 04:46 AM   #12
(female)

darlaonmac HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by dsheldon3 View Post
Wow,I can't believe I finally found someone else on the internet who has this.I have had the same EXACT thing you have all my life.I never knew what it was, and everyone just thought it was just weird. Its exactly like you have described it .I have searched the internet out of curiosity wondering what causes this or if anyone else has it but never found anything about it or anyone else who has it till now.
If you ever find out what causes it,please post.
My bf thinks its my body telling me not to eat.
I have atypical trigeminal neuralgia. Left side face pain. Inside of my mouth feels like I drank something too hot all the time. Wind, smiling, chewing etc. make it worse. It took years for a correct diagnosis. I went thru sinus surgery, and root canals on just about every tooth on the left side of my mouth. It is usually caused by a microscopic compression of the trigeminal nerve that originates right behind your ear and branches out to your face. This is an extremely hard disorder to get a diagnosis on and even harder yet to find a solution to the pain other than surgery. Most of the medications I have been put on either didn't work, or I had a reaction to them. I am not going to go thru surgery for this. It is to risky with no guarantee of being any better after the surgery. I live with it every day. Some days are better than others. Well there is my experience with this condition in a nutshell.

Old 03-07-2008, 04:50 AM   #13
Veteran
(female)

moommin HB User

hi i have same thing, it only happens now and again i thought it had somthing to do with saliva glands in the cheeks blocked or somthing shirley

Old 03-07-2008, 04:54 AM   #14
(female)

darlaonmac HB User

Nice to meet you Shirley.
Darla

Old 03-08-2008, 07:29 PM   #15
(male)

i posted this thread a while ago but ive determined myself that it is the saliva glands.

shirley, have you seen a doctor for this?

Closed Thread