It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Trigeminal Neuralgia Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-30-2007, 01:33 PM   #1
(female)

lizzie01 HB User
Question Shingles Pain (neuralgia) and Nerve Blocks

Hello-
My Father (79 years old) has the linger pain of Shingles. Very severe worse then any sun burn he has ever had. We have tried all of the medications from Asprin to Lyrcia and back again. Nothing works...the lyrica even resulted in a sever rash. Which also lingers though now we are told that it is also from the Shingles. Makes poison ivey look like a walk in the park. He is declining rapidly from the pain and the stress on his kidneys (Diabetic II) from the meds. One person I talked with said her Mother suffered with the neuralgia for ten years.
We are going in to see about nerve blocks next week. Does anyone have any expierence with nerve blocks and Shingles?

Old 12-30-2007, 06:05 PM   #2
(female)

anneh HB Useranneh HB User
Re: Shingles Pain (neuralgia) and Nerve Blocks

Please find a reputable acupuncturist. Acupuncture along the nerve line will do best. I have had shingles twice and the first time was not dx in time and had to use acupuncture to restore nerve endings. Last time I got the Valtrex in time and then used St. Johns Wort tincture many times a day internally plus gently rub in St. Johns Wort oil (both from health food store) into where the pain is and if possible apply heat over the oil. SJW is only famous for depression but actually it works on nerve endings. I also took Lysine and Vitamin C. Other than the Valtrex double dose for 3 days and some Xstrength Tylenol some nights I refused all other drugs and I am fine with no after effect, I am 70yo.
anneh

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 01-15-2008, 12:42 PM   #3
(female)

Cindy1208 HB User

I am so happy to hear that St. Johns Wort helped with your shingles neuralgia. I am 63, female and was diagnosed with shingles 7-1/2 weeks ago. The rash can hardly be seen now, however, I still have lots of pain and am interested in the St. Johns Wort oil. I have tried looking on the internet and in the yellow pages for essential oils, and have called vitamin shoppes, etc. but have been unable to find the St. Johns Wort oil. Please give me a few suggestions on where I can obtain the oil, and if it should be diluted before applying to the skin. Thank you so very, very much!!

Old 01-15-2008, 05:04 PM   #4
(female)

You should be able to find it at most health food stores and Whole Foods etc. Its the herb infused in olive oil or similar oil and can be put on directly without diluting. Also get the tincture (at same stores) and put in water as directed on bottle and take every few hours internally. Its not something that can hurt you altho not advised for use with antidepressants as it might interfere with their use. I applied the SJW directly to painful areas and if you can apply heat over it that will help it absorb altho last time I had it in my face and was hard to apply heat. Drink some herbal relaxing teas and green tea (I like Haiku Sencha organic Japanese tea) several times a day also. I am sure this will be helpful to you and also other stuff mentioned in my post above. Good luck, you will soon be over it

Last edited by anneh; 01-15-2008 at 05:05 PM.

Old 01-23-2008, 08:01 AM   #5
(female)

Cindy1208 HB User
Smile Re: Shingles Pain (neuralgia) and Nerve Blocks

Hello anneh, thank you for your suggestions. I was able to get the SJW oil and tincture in Whole Foods. Before the SJW oil, I had also tried Shingles Aid oil, geranium oil, Neuragen oil and now the SJW oil - for some reason, all seem to be more irritating on my skin than helpful. (I have very fair skin, although I don't know if that is why I did not react well to any of them). However, as you also suggested, I am taking the SJW tincture in water, it seems to have an almost immediate calming affect on me so am enjoying that! Am hoping it will also help internally with the painful nerve endings where the shingles were. Actually, the neuralgia does not hurt much any longer except that it is still very painful when an underarm seam on clothing touches my skin (which is most waking hours) - it is miserable......

Tomorrow is the beginning of week 9 since diagnosed. I was so encouraged
when you wrote "you will soon be over it". With your second shingles experience, you were able to get Valtrex early on (I did, too) - how many weeks (months?) was it until your second shingles (neuralgia) episode resolved?
Hope you are doing well in all ways - thank you again.

Old 01-24-2008, 01:26 PM   #6
(female)

Cindy so glad you are feeling abit better. The SJW oil should not irritate the shingles area so try it again. Its very unusual for someone to get shingles more than once, I have had it 3 times =:0 In my case it seems to be when I have a severe crushing emotional blow. The first time I was 15 and my parents split and left me to fend for myself. The second time was about 10 years ago when one of my sons was dx with cancer (he is in remission thank God) and then the most recent time a few ago was due to a horrible emotional incident with one of my sons caused by an in-law, thank God it was solved but at the time it broke my heart. So this is unusual and shouldn't happen to most people, just my achilles heel, normally I don't even catch a cold and am very healthy. Just need to pray more for my mental/emotional health. Yes I got the Valtrax almost immediately this last time because I knew what it was and rushed to Dr. He gave me double dose for 3 days and then I refused all other medical treatment and went with my herbs and supplements. Not sure how long it lasted but I can tell you I have NO residual problems from any of the episodes. anneh,
thank you for your suggestions. I was able to get the SJW oil and tincture in Whole Foods. Before the SJW oil, I had also tried Shingles Aid oil, geranium oil, Neuragen oil and now the SJW oil - for some reason, all seem to be more irritating on my skin than helpful. (I have very fair skin, although I don't know if that is why I did not react well to any of them). However, as you also suggested, I am taking the SJW tincture in water, it seems to have an almost immediate calming affect on me so am enjoying that! Am hoping it will also help internally with the painful nerve endings where the shingles were. Actually, the neuralgia does not hurt much any longer except that it is still very painful when an underarm seam on clothing touches my skin (which is most waking hours) - it is miserable......

Tomorrow is the beginning of week 9 since diagnosed. I was so encouraged
when you wrote "you will soon be over it". With your second shingles experience, you were able to get Valtrex early on (I did, too) - how many weeks (months?) was it until your second shingles (neuralgia) episode resolved?
Hope you are doing well in all ways - thank you again.[/QUOTE]

Old 01-24-2008, 02:26 PM   #7
(female)

Cindy1208 HB User

Hi anneh, thank you for your reply. It is amazing what stress and emotions can do to our physical health. I am happy for you that your son's cancer is in remission (what a terrible time that must have been!), and that you and your other son have apparently resolved the in-law incident. Like you (1) I seldom get a cold, and (2) like you when you got your 3 shingles episodes, I have been under more stress than I can apparently handle for many years now and also have insomnia, so I think my immune system for both reasons was very low. I am caregiver for my very difficult 83 year old mother who lives with me, and I am employed and commute to the office over an hour each way...and am worn out mentally and physically. I wish I could find a happy, win-win solution for this because this is really not healthy for either of us.

Maybe I will try the SJW oil again, however, although the SJW oil is already mixed with olive oil when purchase d, I may dilute it with additional olive oil and just try decreasing the additional olive oil each time. Actually, although I wrote "irritating my skin", all 4 oils each time increased the nerve pain (I know that sounds highly unlikely) and I am very reluctant to go through that again.. I am still very uncomfortable along the shingles line, but it is the extreme sensitivity to clothing and bedlinens that is the most distressing.

Fortunately you are usually a very healthy lady and up until now I have been also .....we both have to find a healthy way to deal with emotionally difficult times in our lives.

Old 01-25-2008, 09:16 AM   #8
(male)

WasFatNoMore HB UserWasFatNoMore HB User

I have had lingering post-shingles pain on one side of my abdomen for about 12 years. Most of the time I can ignore the pain, but when it gets intolerable I use Lidocaine patches. It usually is worst in the winter when my skin gets dry. You have to get a prescription from your Doctor. They are self-adhesive and work pretty darn good. And best of all no internally ingested medication.

Closed Thread