It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Trigeminal Neuralgia Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-24-2008, 08:20 AM   #1
Senior Veteran
(female)

violet6 HB Userviolet6 HB User
Trigeminal Nerve / Root Canal / Vestibular Migraine Link

Hello, everyone--

Thank you so much for bearing with me as I try to figure out what happened to cause my crazy dizziness of the last 5 months. I just wanted to let you know that I found an extremely interesting article that seems to answer many of my questions. I thought it might interest some of you as well...

The research showed that painful stimulation (via electrodes I think) of the trigeminal nerve provoked dizziness/vertigo in people with migraines. I think they were trying to show some direct connection between the trigeminal nerve (implicated in migraine) and the symptom of dizziness.

Some of you may know that my severe dizziness began the day after a root canal--during which they numbed the trigeminal nerve (and it was an unusually horrific dental experience for me--lots of shots, unusual reaction to the lidocaine/novacaine, etc.). Anyway, since now I realize I have been having migraine headaches all along, perhaps that means I was susceptible to this vertigo via trigeminal nerve stimulation. I don't know for sure, but it does make sense, doesn't it?

(The same study, "Trigeminal stimulation elicits a peripheral vestibular imbalance in migraine patients," also discussed nystagmus a bit, saying that migraine can cause nystagmus suggestive of both central and peripheral problems.)

Anyway, I guess we all had some kind of massive trigger(s) that started the whole process for us, and I'm not sure that the dental stuff definitely did it for me, but it sure explains a lot if it did!

Now, if only a cure were as readily available as this explanation!

Take care, everyone!

--Violet

The Following User Says Thank You to violet6 For This Useful Post:
cathy8834 (12-05-2010)
Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 04-25-2008, 09:24 PM   #2
Veteran
(female)

missy7777 HB Usermissy7777 HB Usermissy7777 HB User
Re: Trigeminal Nerve / Root Canal / Vestibular Migraine Link

Extremely interesting! YES, as a matter of fact, I DID have a root canal right before all of this dizzy migraine stuff started! Yikes, that is so weird. It makes me want to NEVER get another root canal ever again!

Old 04-26-2008, 07:44 AM   #3
Senior Veteran
(female)

violet6 HB Userviolet6 HB User

Missy--you are kidding me! I definitely think that there is a connection. I asked a dentist, and apparently, the dentist is supposed to inject the numbing agent next to the nerve. I don't know if it is possible for them to accidentally hurt the nerve itself, or if even the normal numbing process is enough to make a migraineur have a full-blown migraine dizziness problem.

Wow! I have noticed that dentists want to steer clear of this possibility...

Violet

Old 04-26-2008, 10:21 AM   #4
Veteran
(female)

missy7777 HB Usermissy7777 HB Usermissy7777 HB User

No kidding, really! In fact, I bet I can find some posts from a year ago when I started with this whole mess mentioning that I had just had a root canal and being quite suspicious about it. I even mentioned it to my regular dentist and told him that I thought my TMJ got much worse after the root canal and was wondering if maybe the root canal caused my bite to be off, or maybe it made my tooth guard not fit, which in turn was causing my dizziness. Then again, to complicate things even further, I believe that migraineurs usually have a clenching/TMJ problem, which in turn would cause us to have to get root canals in the first place.

It's all so confusing, but it is all tied in together in a complex woven neurological mess. Bottom line though, ALL of it is related to migraine.

Closed Thread