It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Trigeminal Neuralgia Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-20-2008, 08:00 AM   #1
(male)

kennyc HB User
Angry can postherpetic neuralgia (shingles pain) spread?

I have phn from shingles on my right side of my back, very painful,burning feeling, now it seems to be spreading to my left side. Is that possible? I read that it is only on one side. I had a cat scan done the other day and waiting on the results, to see if there is something else going on. maybe kidney or lung problems? My last blood work was fine, although there was a trace of blood in my urine. kennyc

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 07-20-2008, 08:24 AM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

feelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB User
Re: can postherpetic neuralgia (shingles pain) spread?

are you actually feeling the very exact same type of pain in this 'spread" area? the thing about shingles is it tends to sit in only one particular spot in or on a nerve root which would include,in most cases,only one single dermatome. a dermatome(you can look up what exactly a dermatome is and where each one innervates to try and pin down what dermatome is actually being affected in you personally)is simply the area in which an individual spinal nerve root innervates. alot of how the affected area will show shingles really depends alot upon just where that chicken pox virus decided to 'set' itslef in your nerve root. it IS in some cases,possible for this to form sort of a 'banded' like area if that ch pox virus sat right in the middle area and would affect both sides not just one? has this spread to a whole different area or is it very close to the same area already affected? the one huge thing i have found in just dealing with a ton of spinal related nightmares,is just about anything is possible when it comes to neuro crap.

have you tried the lidocaine patches at all? these were actually invented by a man who happened to work in some drug co as a chemist whos wife was suffering horribly from shinlges. they are a square of lidocaine gel that you simply place over the painful areas to numb them. i use these like everyday for my worst pain areas that do not respond at all to any type of narcotics. they have been a godsend for me. you you have not yet tried these for your pain,ask your doc to Rx you some to try and see how they work for you. you can place up to three at a time to cover a pretty large area. you can also cut them to fit an area too since they are just a solid square/rectangle of lido gel in them and thats it. just one good suggestion for you that really helps me. i don;t have shingles but two seperate pain syndromes that are about the worst of the worst types of extreme burning/stinging 24/7 pain from hell. if these work for me in certain areas,believe me,they should work well for you. there is also an ointment lido too that you can use where patches wont fit all the time? what pain control methods are you currently trying or have tried in the past?

i would actually look up what i mentioned about the dermatomes? just to see where your pain areas are and how they correlate with a particular level of nerve root.this could explain a possible 'spread. but it would usually NOT move out of that one particular dermatome. if it has moved out of that dermatome there could be some other factors here involved that are not actually related to just shingles. depending upon how many real flare ups you have had of the shingles,well these can sometimes actually casue their own types of nerve damage. that could cause a spread(or simply "feel" like a spread) to another different area. just one possibility. i wish you luck in trying to keep this tolerable for you. my dad suffered repeated episodes of shingles for many many years. i know how much they can just plain hurt. please keep me posted. FB

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 07-20-2008, 09:33 AM   #3
(male)

kennyc HB User

Hi fb, thanks for the info. The pain has spread to the other side of my back,not so much as a burning, but a needle pick and a hurting pain. sometimes it feels like something is crawling on my skin. Also, I get sharp pains on both sides were my kidneys are. It hurts sometimes to put a shirt on or lay down on my back. I did try the patches, but they keep falling off. I will try the gel though. I am taking lortab, but that doesnt help very much. I am seeing a pain dr. and they did one injection and I hurt worse than before! He wants to do another injection but I hurt so bad from the other one, I am not sure I want another one. I tried lyrica and that did not help at all. If my scan turns out ok, then i'll know its not my kidneys. It is strange that its spreading to the other side, though. thanks I;ll keep in touch kennyc

Old 07-21-2008, 08:48 AM   #4
Senior Veteran
(female)

feelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB User

did you look up the dermatomes just to see whether or not the area of spread is actually included in that dermatome? you can find this dermatome man/person on many different sites. it just diagrams out the areas that a particular nerve root will innervate. it would at least let you know whether or not this IS indeed within those parameters or this is out of the dermatome and therefore not likely related? this would just rule in or out,the actual spread of shingles as one possibility. it would be very helpful for your doc to know too.

you mentioned blood in your urine? any history of kidney problems there? just what did they do the CT on? i also have a kidney/liver disease as well so i do know a bit about that too.

one very helpful hint for those lido patches since i had the same problem. take and kind of round out the corners so they lose that sharp corner? this helps tons in just keeping those corners from catching on your clothing and starting that wonderful "rolling' process? mine stick ALOT better ever since i just took the time to do this while it was still attached to that clear sheet it comes on? just round it off really nice and you should not have that particular problem quite so quickly. you don't have to take off all that much either.

i am curious as to what exact type of injections you have been recieving to try and control the shingles pain? thats a new one on me. i was not aware of any. or are they actually trying to do like an ESI thinking that could even possibly work for that type of pain?? i just don;t see that happening given the generator of it at all. do you have any type of spinal problems as well as the shingles stuff going on? realistically,shingles pain just will not respond to any type of injections done for like spinal problems?

i really am wondering just what your doc is actually thinking about this given what he seems to think will actually help? the lyrica was a good shot tho. i did have a good response to both my central pain(feels like shingles pain Xs ten?) and my RSD pain with lyrica,unfortuently it hit me like a freaking wall with its nasty side effects. have you tried cymbalta or any of the meds they normally use for shinlges just to try and get it to remit some? are you seeing an actual pain management doc or someone else?

let me know just what your test results say,K? FB

Closed Thread