It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Trigeminal Neuralgia Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-16-2008, 09:57 PM   #1
(male)

MysteryWhiteBoy HB User
Question electric shocks = occipital neuralgia?

for the past few days i have been having very painful episodes where i get what feel like short, but intense electric shocks at the back of my head (the left side at the base of the skull). it began at the end of a 3-hour drive. i have the tendency to lean forward while driving (concentration), so my initial thought was the pain is related to this. however, positional changes rarely (if at all) trigger these episodes. they really come on out of the blue, even when sitting perfectly still.

when i read the symptoms of occipital neuralgia, it really sounds familiar. it's definitely in that area. unfortunately, my attempt yesterday to have a doctor check it out failed miserably (this was before i discovered what ON was). i will spare everyone the gory details of this visit.

anyhow, i'm very concerned about these sensations i'm feeling at the back of my head. it is very painful and unpredictable. i have a few meds on hand that i plan to try to see if they help (naproxyn 500mg, flexiril 10mg).

of course, i appreciate a response from anyone, but i'm especially interested in hearing from people who have suffered with ON and what their early symptoms presented as.

right now, i'm sort of at a loss as to what my next step should be. it all just feels like very bad nightmare...

Old 09-16-2008, 09:59 PM   #2
(male)

MysteryWhiteBoy HB User
Question electric shocks = occipital neuralgia?

for the past few days i have been having very painful episodes where i get what feel like short, but intense electric shocks at the back of my head (the left side at the base of the skull). it began at the end of a 3-hour drive. i have the tendency to lean forward while driving (concentration), so my initial thought was the pain is related to this. however, positional changes rarely (if at all) trigger these episodes. they really come on out of the blue, even when sitting perfectly still.

when i read the symptoms of occipital neuralgia, it really sounds familiar. it's definitely in that area. unfortunately, my attempt yesterday to have a doctor check it out failed miserably (this was before i discovered what ON was). i will spare everyone the gory details of this visit.

anyhow, i'm very concerned about these sensations i'm feeling at the back of my head. it is very painful and unpredictable. i have a few meds on hand that i plan to try to see if they help (naproxyn 500mg, flexiril 10mg).

of course, i appreciate a response from anyone, but i'm especially interested in hearing from people who have suffered with ON and what their early symptoms presented as.

right now, i'm sort of at a loss as to what my next step should be. it all just feels like very bad nightmare...

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 09-22-2008, 09:33 AM   #3
(female)

ZW823 HB User
Re: electric shocks = occipital neuralgia?

I don't know what was the cause of what I called "zingers" but I take Indomethacin and it works great.

Last edited by mod-anon; 11-11-2008 at 10:18 PM. Reason: removed quote

Old 09-29-2008, 06:07 PM   #4
Veteran
(female)

backslide05 HB User
Re: electric shocks = occipital neuralgia?

MWB,
I'm so amazed to find your post, I truly thought I was the only person on the planet who suffered from these headaches, which I always called "electric headaches" because that's what it feels like, being jolted with a hot electric prod. I get them on my right side above my ear, and when they start, nothing and I mean nothing stops them. I've tried advil, aleve, (naproxin), and even percocet. I haven't tried muscle relaxants though. Usually time takes care of it. But it keeps me from sleep even, since the jolts are intermittant and unrelenting.
Is this what you experience?
I never knew what they were called but knew that it had to be a nerve acting up, since it wasn't your standard run of the mill tension headache or even migraine, these are way worse!
My husband has neuropathy (which is why I'm on this board) and takes neurontin for the pain. I may try that and see if it helps.

They usually come out of the blue, sometimes, just turning my head around fast will trigger it! Once I get the first "jolt" I'm in for the ride until it's over.

Well, just wanted to reply that you are not alone and thanks for giving a name to this awful malady!

If you find out anything that works let me know and I'll do the same,take care,
Backslide

Old 10-15-2008, 08:02 AM   #5
(female)

care719 HB User
Thumbs up Re: electric shocks = occipital neuralgia?

hi, what you said is really interesting. I've been trying to find out what it is that i'm experiencing. I looked under headaches, and from that information, it sounded like "cluster" headaches. They start out of nowhere, can have 3/4 a day, and are excruciatingly painful. They are mistaken OFTEN for allergies and/or sinuses. The occipital neuralgia sounds just like it too. Good Luck. Carrie Ann

Closed Thread