It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Trigeminal Neuralgia Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-24-2009, 08:21 PM   #1
(female)

jamsie HB User
Cracked Tooth, Lost Filling, Abscess or Trigeminal Neuralgia?!?

Okay, so last weekend, my left lower jaw started to hurt from about my second to last molar and three teeth up. The ache turned into throbbing and by Monday, I was having stabbing, shooting, electric, burning "attacks" of pain.

I went to a dentist that isn't normally the one I go to only because they offered a free initial exam and xrays. The dentist said he saw no decay or cracks or anything, but gave me some antibiotics (Erythromycin) and painkiller (vicoprofen).

By the time Wednesday morning rolled around, I was in such severe pain that I wanted to rip my jaw off. The shooting pain attacks were getting more frequent and the only thing I could do is moan, cry and wait for it to go away.

In the meantime, a friend who is finishing up med school and going to start his residency said it sounded like Trigeminal Neuralgia. I also looked up the symptoms and it sounded alike.

I went to my doctor (which is really a resident clinic since I have no insurance) and she agreed that is what it sounded like. She prescribed me Neurontin (an anticonvulsant prescribed for TN) and that's all. She said it should take the pain away in a couple of days.

Since then, these pain attacks have gotten worse and longer. They started out being only about 6 - 7 minutes and now they can last 20. I am having to take the vicoprofen about every 5 hours; it wears off within 2 hours, especially if I accidentally bite down or touch the tooth. Speaking of, now the pain is localized in ONE tooth, the second from last molar on the bottom left, where I have had a tooth-colored (amalgam?) filling in the past.

It hurts like hell when I eat even though I'm eating on the right side; my left side teeth still touch when I'm trying to chew, so it kills. I am not really too hot or cold sensitive. I don't see any bumps or too much swelling, but the pain going on now makes me think it's an abscess.

However, shouldn't taking antibiotics for five days so far have had an effect on any infection?

I cannot tell by looking at the tooth whether or not the filling has come out. I have thought of trying to just fill it with some of the OTC temporary filling stuff (I have a dental appointment on Tuesday afternoon with my usual dentist although it'll cost me $100 for one xray and the exam). However, if it's not a lost filling and, in fact, an abscess, will I be doing more damage?

Also, when I poke or push on it, it seems like there is a crack. For all I know, that could just be the way my tooth is built. But it hurts like crazy when I push on it, like it's loose or broken or something, even though I can't SEE it move.

If anyone has a clue what might be going on and whether or not I should try the temp filling stuff, that'd be great. I have spent almost 10 hours today crying off and on from the pain. In fact, I took a vicoprofen along with some regular ibuprofen an hour or so ago and just touched my tooth with my tongue accidentally and it's throbbing already.

I don't know what to do anymore. Vicoprofen is not working and I don't think I can wait until Tuesday.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 04-24-2009, 09:20 PM   #2
Senior Veteran
(male)

tjlhb HB Usertjlhb HB Usertjlhb HB Usertjlhb HB Usertjlhb HB User
Re: Cracked Tooth, Lost Filling, Abscess or Trigeminal Neuralgia?!?

Ask your dentist for a sooner appointment (or perhaps a referral to a dentist who has a sooner appointment available), and what to do between now and your appointment (with respect to the medication and the OTC filling stuff you are referring to). It seems like the longer you wait, the worse it will be. Also, long term use of antibiotics and narcotics (the hydrocodone in the Vicoprofen) is not a good thing (the narcotics can result in addiction, in addition to limiting your activity by making it unsafe to drive a car).

A tooth colored filling would likely be a composite filling; amalgam fillings are gray or black.

Last edited by tjlhb; 04-24-2009 at 09:20 PM.

Old 04-24-2009, 09:27 PM   #3
Senior Veteran
(female)

Thelma-Louise HB UserThelma-Louise HB UserThelma-Louise HB User

Usually trigeminal neuralgia is treated with tegretol (sp?) although I guess neurontin might work and it doesn't often center around a tooth but the side of the face or jaw along the path of the trigeminal nerve. I think you are right to suspect a tooth fracture or abcess or both at this point and even though you were on antibiotics the dose may not have been strong enough or there really is no abcess but the fracture is what is causing the pain. You could try using temparin or Dent Temp until you see your denitst to see if that stabilizes the tooth enough to stop the pain but I suspect both will probably induce more pressure similar to what pressing or pushing on the tooth produces. Also you may want to try taking aleve or naproxen - NSAIDs can often control dental pain - you can take up to 1500 mgs a day or 2-6 caplets (220 mgs each) of the OTC version Aleve - it takes a couple days to build up in the system before it provides maximum relief.

Also - most dentists leave room in their schedules for emergencies - you may want to contact yours to see if he could see you sooner than Tuesday.

Old 04-24-2009, 10:15 PM   #4
(female)

jamsie HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by tjlhb View Post
Ask your dentist for a sooner appointment (or perhaps a referral to a dentist who has a sooner appointment available), and what to do between now and your appointment (with respect to the medication and the OTC filling stuff you are referring to). It seems like the longer you wait, the worse it will be. Also, long term use of antibiotics and narcotics (the hydrocodone in the Vicoprofen) is not a good thing (the narcotics can result in addiction, in addition to limiting your activity by making it unsafe to drive a car).

A tooth colored filling would likely be a composite filling; amalgam fillings are gray or black.

First, thanks for pointing out the differences in fillings. That's good to know.

Also, I have not been on the vicoprofen long; only since Monday. He only prescribed 14 of them. The antibiotics has only been since Monday also. 4 Erythromycin per day for 10 days.

I cannot get a sooner appointment. My usual dentist isn't in again until Tuesday. I have been to a chain dentistry place (like I mentioned, they were free) and that is where I feel like the dentist may have misdiagnosed or, rather, missed all of this altogether. I don't really feel all that comfortable going back there. Also, being that it's the weekend, I don't know where I could get a weekend appointment without paying a dentist an arm and a leg for an emergency visit. As it is, I'm unemployed and do not have any kind of dental insurance. So everything is out of pocket for me. I don't have family to borrow from (all I have is a younger brother who is struggling to make ends meet, too) so that isn't an option.

Trust me, I've been in contact with my doctor and both dentists all week and this is the soonest I can do...

Old 04-24-2009, 10:22 PM   #5
(female)

jamsie HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thelma-Louise View Post
Usually trigeminal neuralgia is treated with tegretol (sp?) although I guess neurontin might work and it doesn't often center around a tooth but the side of the face or jaw along the path of the trigeminal nerve. I think you are right to suspect a tooth fracture or abcess or both at this point and even though you were on antibiotics the dose may not have been strong enough or there really is no abcess but the fracture is what is causing the pain. You could try using temparin or Dent Temp until you see your denitst to see if that stabilizes the tooth enough to stop the pain but I suspect both will probably induce more pressure similar to what pressing or pushing on the tooth produces. Also you may want to try taking aleve or naproxen - NSAIDs can often control dental pain - you can take up to 1500 mgs a day or 2-6 caplets (220 mgs each) of the OTC version Aleve - it takes a couple days to build up in the system before it provides maximum relief.

Also - most dentists leave room in their schedules for emergencies - you may want to contact yours to see if he could see you sooner than Tuesday.

Thanks for the reply.

I think that Neurontin is starting to be used more often for TN; at least from things I am reading. If it is truly treating possible TN for me, the shooting pain centering/initiating in my jaw and radiating down has dissipated. It's just making me wonder if maybe I have BOTH at once - TN & a cracked tooth or whatever is going on - but if so, it's awfully strange that they happened together.

I should've clarified that the pain started in the area that felt like those teeth I mentioned and was radiating up the jaw. Then the jaw pain was initiating in my jaw hinge area and radiating down the entire left side of my lower jaw. Excrutiating pain. I do have an MRI scheduled in about a week and a half to, I guess, see if I do have trigeminal neuralgia.

I think you're right that trying the temporary filling material would probably cause more pressure on the tooth.

Also, I have been trying to take ibuprofen alone, but it is not touching the pain. Not even taking the edge off. Since the vicoprofen contains ibuprofen, I have to be careful how much additional I am taking, too.

As for seeing my dentist sooner, I believe she is away or on vacation. She's usually in the office on Mondays and the receptionist/nurse/whoever it was said she was out of the office today and wouldn't be back until Tuesday. I don't really want to go see the first dentist I saw again; I don't really have a lot of faith in the guy since he claimed there was nothing wrong with my tooth when I saw him on Monday. I'm sure things can change over a few days, but I was in terrible pain then, too.

Old 04-30-2009, 02:26 PM   #6
(female)

Maure HB User

Just joining in here, as I've just asked for a back tooth to be removed yesterday, my dentist said it was a perfectly good tooth, but I still needed to have it removed, because of voluntary scringing them together using the bottom tooth to do so, it causes pain, but the need to scringe them together becomes unbearable even though it is very painful.
I have been seen by a Professor in the Dental Dept of the hospital for the past year and half, to no avail.

I am now wearing my mouth guard which was made for my migraine headaches years ago, but I find this keeps the upper and lower teeth separated and prevents my scringing them together.

Since having that tooth removed it has now created all my other teeth to want to take it's place and they are fighting to be scringed together now.
Has anyone any idea about this?
My husband wants me to be seen by a Neurologist he thinks that perhaps is the problem, as when the dentist yesterday even touched my gum it sent shooting pain up it, even the putting on the gel did the same thing.
She said it could possibly start in another tooth, another tooth? try Teeth.
Any advice welcome.
Imigran
Lyrica 2 x 75mg

Osteoprosis- plate/hip, surgery/rt wrist
Manic Bi-Polar
Migrane
Night Leg Cramps
Bruxism/Teeth Clenching
Neuralgia

Last edited by Maure; 04-30-2009 at 02:29 PM.

Old 06-01-2009, 04:27 AM   #7
(female)

Laura1111 HB User

Jamsie, ever figure out what was causing all your pain?

Old 06-02-2009, 04:53 AM   #8
(female)

Maure HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by jamsie View Post
Okay, so last weekend, my left lower jaw started to hurt from about my second to last molar and three teeth up. The ache turned into throbbing and by Monday, I was having stabbing, shooting, electric, burning "attacks" of pain.

I went to a dentist that isn't normally the one I go to only because they offered a free initial exam and xrays. The dentist said he saw no decay or cracks or anything, but gave me some antibiotics (Erythromycin) and painkiller (vicoprofen).

By the time Wednesday morning rolled around, I was in such severe pain that I wanted to rip my jaw off. The shooting pain attacks were getting more frequent and the only thing I could do is moan, cry and wait for it to go away.

In the meantime, a friend who is finishing up med school and going to start his residency said it sounded like Trigeminal Neuralgia. I also looked up the symptoms and it sounded alike.

I went to my doctor (which is really a resident clinic since I have no insurance) and she agreed that is what it sounded like. She prescribed me Neurontin (an anticonvulsant prescribed for TN) and that's all. She said it should take the pain away in a couple of days.

Since then, these pain attacks have gotten worse and longer. They started out being only about 6 - 7 minutes and now they can last 20. I am having to take the vicoprofen about every 5 hours; it wears off within 2 hours, especially if I accidentally bite down or touch the tooth. Speaking of, now the pain is localized in ONE tooth, the second from last molar on the bottom left, where I have had a tooth-colored (amalgam?) filling in the past.

It hurts like hell when I eat even though I'm eating on the right side; my left side teeth still touch when I'm trying to chew, so it kills. I am not really too hot or cold sensitive. I don't see any bumps or too much swelling, but the pain going on now makes me think it's an abscess.

However, shouldn't taking antibiotics for five days so far have had an effect on any infection?

I cannot tell by looking at the tooth whether or not the filling has come out. I have thought of trying to just fill it with some of the OTC temporary filling stuff (I have a dental appointment on Tuesday afternoon with my usual dentist although it'll cost me $100 for one xray and the exam). However, if it's not a lost filling and, in fact, an abscess, will I be doing more damage?

Also, when I poke or push on it, it seems like there is a crack. For all I know, that could just be the way my tooth is built. But it hurts like crazy when I push on it, like it's loose or broken or something, even though I can't SEE it move.

If anyone has a clue what might be going on and whether or not I should try the temp filling stuff, that'd be great. I have spent almost 10 hours today crying off and on from the pain. In fact, I took a vicoprofen along with some regular ibuprofen an hour or so ago and just touched my tooth with my tongue accidentally and it's throbbing already.

I don't know what to do anymore. Vicoprofen is not working and I don't think I can wait until Tuesday.
Jamsie
I too have been given Neurontin from my doctor, have finished the first course haven't did any good, am going back for another repeat course on thurs to him.
Why I'm even trying more of the same is beyond me, but what else to do.
I can relate to your pain in gums and tooth, I also have the same, though mine is constant, it's only when I'm fully asleep with mouth guard in that I haven't any pain, otherwise it's all day long.
I had the tooth removed only for it to take up residence in the next tooth beside it.
I've thought of all sorts of explainations, from Trigeminal Neuralgia to just plain habit forming now, been told it's also Stress related.
Attend a Professor in the best renouned hospital here, he built up my mouth guard which I had made for Migraine Headaches.
There seems no end and no cure in sight.
This was my reason for wanting of Lithium as I've read it is a contributor to Neuralgia, I won't know less I do it.
Please let me know if you recieve any relief and I will do same.
Thank you.
Imigran
Lyrica 2 x 75mg

Manic Bi-Polar
Migrane
Night Leg Cramps
Bruxism/Teeth Clenching
Neuralgia

Old 06-23-2009, 08:29 AM   #9
Inactive
(female)

ballovescats HB User

Sounds like you have trigeminal neuralgia; or Atypical trigeminal neuralgia. Do a search for the * Commercial website and information removed by hb-mod, Moderator * The meds you are on, will not help this condition. This is a Neurological Condition. Pain doctors, that deal with head pain can also help you with this! Hope this helps!

Last edited by hb-mod; 06-25-2009 at 09:24 AM. Reason: Please don't post commercial websites or information, as per the Posting Policy. Thanks!

Old 06-23-2009, 01:25 PM   #10
(male)

Machesky287 HB User

Jamsie,

I had the almost exact thing happen to me two years ago, with pain starting in a my jaw and multiple teeth. The pain stayed for days while I iced it on and off, don't do this btw, untill one day it just stopped. My dentist said it was an absess and more than likely the nerve in my tooth became infected and died. Hope you feel better.

Old 06-24-2009, 04:04 AM   #11
(female)

Maure HB User

ballovescats
I could hug you, if I could reach you. You've more than given me hope, or a million pounds, or dollars if you live there.

I have printed out your reply for my GP he doesn't know what to do for me at all, neither does my dentist, no probs there that's what she says, can't find anything but I have this awful pain daily. But while asleep no, it goes.

I have found that taking Ampitripiline Anti-depressant, were my hubbys he told me to try one, and it worked, walla pain free for about 6 hours it was glorious, so that's why I'm going back to doc to tell him bout this, so I will give him your print out also.
The ampitrips help, for an hour or two now, but cant keep dosing myself on his med.
He doesn't take them anymore, they zonked him, I must have a stronger constitution, he says I've always had, but then I'm a WOMAN..... says it all eh, what is it, 9 times higher pain threshold than the MALE!!!!
forgive I'm joking, but I did read it and it stuck in the amount of memory I have, which is very limited believe me.

Thank you very seriously you don't know how delighted I am.
I love you even for it, there you go
I have to say that, I'm so thrilled with you, even if it gets me the shove, it'd be well worth it. Thank you again.

Last edited by Mod-S4; 08-30-2011 at 11:07 PM.

Old 06-24-2009, 04:09 AM   #12
(female)

Maure HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Machesky287 View Post
Jamsie,

I had the almost exact thing happen to me two years ago, with pain starting in a my jaw and multiple teeth. The pain stayed for days while I iced it on and off, don't do this btw, untill one day it just stopped. My dentist said it was an absess and more than likely the nerve in my tooth became infected and died. Hope you feel better.
I have it all day from an hour after I wake till I close my eyes in bed, only while I sleep am I pain free, which is a real blessing I know.
I sympathize with you, it's no joke, I know.
Imigran
Lyrica 2 x 75mg

Manic Bi-Polar
Migrane
Night Leg Cramps
Bruxism/Teeth Clenching
Neuralgia

Old 06-24-2009, 07:58 AM   #13
Senior Veteran
(female)

Gellia HB UserGellia HB UserGellia HB UserGellia HB UserGellia HB UserGellia HB UserGellia HB UserGellia HB UserGellia HB UserGellia HB UserGellia HB User

Hi all,
I'm not sure this will help your problem but, I had lower jaw and teeth pain on the left side for over 7 months. It drove me crazy. It hurt so badly! Curl up in a ball on the bed, type pain!! Only thing that seemed to help was ibuprofen and putting ice on it. I was attached to an ice bag all the time and was taking far too much medication for relief. The only time I was pain free was when I slept.

Xrays over a period of four months and a trip twice to the periodontist and once to an oral surgeon, produced nothing wrong with my teeth or gums. But, they HURT! No one even mentioned the trigeminal nerve.

What I wound up doing was putting toothpaste for sensitive teeth right on my teeth and gums. Gradually the pain went away! I couldn't believe it. It was that simple for me! Now I just use the toothpaste once or twice a day and have had no pain in over 6 weeks.

I'm not saying this would help, but I don't think it would hurt to try. It did take about 10 days before it slowly started to help. I found myself able to take less ibuprofen and not grab for the ice as often. Then one day, I realized that the pain was hardly there at all!
Today....no pain at all.

I hope maybe this will help someone. It's worth a shot!
Best to you,
Gellia

Old 06-24-2009, 11:33 PM   #14
(female)

Maure HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gellia View Post
Hi all,
I'm not sure this will help your problem but, I had lower jaw and teeth pain on the left side for over 7 months. It drove me crazy. It hurt so badly! Curl up in a ball on the bed, type pain!! Only thing that seemed to help was ibuprofen and putting ice on it. I was attached to an ice bag all the time and was taking far too much medication for relief. The only time I was pain free was when I slept.

Xrays over a period of four months and a trip twice to the periodontist and once to an oral surgeon, produced nothing wrong with my teeth or gums. But, they HURT! No one even mentioned the trigeminal nerve.

What I wound up doing was putting toothpaste for sensitive teeth right on my teeth and gums. Gradually the pain went away! I couldn't believe it. It was that simple for me! Now I just use the toothpaste once or twice a day and have had no pain in over 6 weeks.

I'm not saying this would help, but I don't think it would hurt to try. It did take about 10 days before it slowly started to help. I found myself able to take less ibuprofen and not grab for the ice as often. Then one day, I realized that the pain was hardly there at all!
Today....no pain at all.

I hope maybe this will help someone. It's worth a shot!
Best to you,
Gellia
Thank you Gellia
My dentist told me to do this also, I have been doing with no effect as yet, unlike you, I cannot bear cold now, near it, it sends me crazy, like something hitting a nerve, like you get when the drill does, oh so not good, I used to be able to crunch ice cubes and it eased for all of 2 mins, but not so now, I have to even brush my teeth in lukewarm water, can't eat anything straight from fridge, have to place it in micro to take the chill of it, I've been taking 500mg Solpidene for the pain, it helps me get off to sleep, once asleep it's good, no pain, till I'm up for about 1hr then thats it for rest of day.
I use mouth gels that are for ulcers, which I don't have but it's the only thing I can get by on during the pain.

I gave up on the toothpaste regime because of it being cold it sent me crackers, I'd need to warm it first, perhaps run the tube under the hot tap for a while, I'll give it a go again, I've printed out ballovescats post to take to my G.P. only can't see him till 7th July he's on hol, and no point going to others on panel, he has been the one treating me lately.

It's an awful thing to bear, mouth pain, it's like being in constant toothache all day long, I actually went to my dentist, I've been there more times in the past 6 months to do me a life time, I used to dread the dentist not now, it's just like visiting Mum now, well she aint that bad I suppose.
I told my dentist, 'I know whats wrong, I've got toothache, yes that's it, toothache, she xrayed them, the top, back, right side, hammered, probed, proded, and said, no not a thing wrong there, gums and teeth all good, to my disappointment, I really did want it to be 'toothache' imagine, because that would have been problem solved, but it wasn't to be I'm afraid, but I got her to extract it anyway, she warned, it could appear in another tooth you know, I said I'll take that chance, she got it right, unfortunatly, it begin in the next back tooth right beside the one I had extracted.

This all began 2 years ago with Burning Mouth, well the Professor I went to was treating it as that, until today it has prgressed futher into this constant pain in back teeth and gums, and nothing but nothing gives relief only sleep, strange that isn't it,
HOW COME NO PAIN WHEN SLEEPING?

It is hard to bear, and I appreciated your help Gellia thank you ever so much and I'm happy for you, you got relief, truly I am, it's horrible, I know.
I too will one day, trusting in God for it.
Imigran
Lyrica 2 x 75mg

Manic Bi-Polar
Migrane
Night Leg Cramps
Bruxism/Teeth Clenching
Neuralgia

Last edited by Maure; 06-24-2009 at 11:42 PM.

Old 06-25-2009, 08:04 AM   #15
Inactive
(female)

ballovescats HB User

Thank you for such a nice response! If you dentist cannot find anything wrong, then you most likely do have trigeminal neuralgia. I'm really surprised that none of the doctors, could figure this out easily. But then they didn't for me either! It took years to get a proper diagnosis from a NEUROLOGIST. Now I am treated by a Neurologist & Pain doctor. Mine if the worst form, called Atypical Trigeminal Neuralgia. Meds do help some, but I do have constant pain everyday of my life. I am on disability for this now. At one time I had been on 15 prescription meds & some over the counter meds as well. It has been a constant battle for me to help control the pain. You need to be on a soft diet now, for the rest of your life. No more crunchy foods!!! It will only make you feel worse. Please do go to the * commercial website removed by hb-mod, moderator *, where you can order their * advertising removed by hb-mod, Moderator*. It will help you answer so many questions that you have. They tell you the meds that you need to try to help ease the pain. Gabapentin is very helpful. Also; Klonopin will help ease the anxiety & pain feeling. It helps you deal with the pain. There are many other drugs that Neurologists & Pain docs can prescribe. Most likely one drug will not be enough! Muscle relaxants help alot also. Paxil also helps me alot, because I have alot of depression from this condition also. I don't know why, but the docs are not referring people to other docs like they used to. * Commercial website and related information removed by hb-mod, Moderator * Hope this is to you finially finding a solution for your pain! Friends! Sincerely, Barb

Last edited by hb-mod; 06-25-2009 at 09:22 AM. Reason: Please don't post commercial websites or information, as per the Posting Policy. Thanks!

Closed Thread