It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Trigeminal Neuralgia Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-06-2010, 05:50 AM   #1
(male)

Angelking HB User
Trigeminal Neuralgia

Hi everyone, I would like to get some comments and some advice about this.

A history.
I am a 51y.o. male, excellent health, no major surgeries ever.

About a year ago, I had a tooth on the upper left side that started hurting. I noticed at the same time I noticed if I just barely touched the top of my temple, it would give me a horrible headache which would go away the minute I released the touch. I went to the dentist who recommended a root canal. I mentioned the other pain to him, he attributed it to the tooth.

Afte the root canal was performed, I noticed the temple pain was still there if I touched it and the tooth still hurt. The dentist did further xrays and found the root of the tooth was longer than normal and here was a nerve wrapped around the outside of the root. A tooth extraction was performed, however the temple pain was still there.

I went to my primary doctor again who recommended a neurologist. He suspected shingles under the skin and prescribed pills, the name now escapes me. After not getting any better, I went to see a second neurologist. I had an MRI without contrast and a cat scan which showed nothing abnormal. By now however, other symptoms were beginning to show and the touch area was extending to the top of the forhead to an area right aorund the outer eye socket. She recommended me to take medicines in the anti seizure group at increasingly higher doses. I took the pills for about three months but still suffered the pains. About a month ago, I discovered due to requirements of my job, I cannot under any circumstances take these group of pills. I contacted my neurologist who then said she could do no more for me and I neede to seek a neurosurgeon. I now have an appointment on May 12th.

I have been doing some research into Trigeminal neuralgia hand I notice some of my symptoms are different than shown.

my latest symptoms are;

extreme headaches when touching any part of my upper left forehead, especially around the upper temple.

I now have constant low grade headaches.

nausea.

constant ringing in my left ear.

Now, when I smile or frown or do any type of facial expression that pulls me skin on the left side it cause the same headaches. If I pull my hair slightly aorund my left temple I get the same type of headaches.

I don't have the electric shock feeling I have read so much about with TN. It is not the type of pain that would cause some to commit suicide as I have read several times. It is more of a booming type of pain.

I felt so bad on Monday, I actually went to the emergency room. My neurologist will not see me until next week and I feel like I am getting worse by the day.

Any advice, suggestions....comments????

Thanks

Ak

Last edited by Angelking; 05-06-2010 at 05:53 AM.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 05-06-2010, 12:10 PM   #2
(female)

kele2006 HB User
Re: Trigeminal Neuralgia

Hi -

I have been diagnosed with atypical TN. I don't have the electrical shock feeling like I have read so much about either. I found that there are many types and I believe I have Type 2, which is more of a constant throbbing. I too have constant low grade headaches. I read that Type 2 can be caused by nerve damage from a root canal. I had two root canals in the year previous to this starting. Then all of a sudden last year I started having rumbling in my ear. It was not ringing, but a much lower sound, like the wind helicopter blades create. I had acupuncture done a couple times and the ear noise stopped and has not been back for over a year.

I have not wanted to take the medication because of all the side effects. Acupuncture helps sometimes, but there seems to be no rhyme or reason as to why it's good one day and really bad the next.

A few years ago I fractured my neck and I wonder if it has something to do with it. Do you have any issues with your spine? < edited >

I am going to give myofascial release a try. It certainly cannot hurt.

Last edited by hb-mod; 05-06-2010 at 01:53 PM. Reason: Please don't post disallowed websites, per Posting Policy. Thanks!

Old 05-07-2010, 06:19 AM   #3
(male)

Angelking HB User

I saw the neurosurgeon yesterday. He is sending me to get an MRI with contrast this weekend. He is puzzled by the ringing in my ear. I am seeing an ENT doctor today to see if it is related or if there is some other cause for the ringing ear.

I have had no spine issues at all.

The ns is concerned if there is no other cause for the ringing there may be a small tumor in that area affecting both nerves.

Will hopefully know more today after the ENT visit.

AK

Last edited by Angelking; 05-07-2010 at 11:45 AM.

Old 05-07-2010, 11:45 AM   #4
(male)

Angelking HB User

Saw ENT today how. He saw nothing to indicte why I have ear ringing so he just referred me back to the neurosurgeon.

AK

Old 05-08-2010, 01:16 PM   #5
(male)

Angelking HB User

wow, there was 30 minutes of my life I would like to have back.

AK

Closed Thread