It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Trigeminal Neuralgia Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-04-2011, 06:19 PM   #1
(female)

warmbreeze HB Userwarmbreeze HB User
A question regarding TN

I've been diagnosed with TN and still learning about it. The difference from me and others, is that I have had this I was a little girl. I 55 yrs old now, and I was about 7 or 8 when I first started getting them. I've always just lived with it, not knowing what it was because I would only have it happen maybe once a month. About 5 months ago or so I started getting them constantly one after another. The only thing I can think of that may have triggered the constant flares was I was receiving Chiropractic care at that time. I had Chiropractic care many times in my life, and it's never triggered this before, so I'm not sure this is the reason for the flare up. I do not have insurance, so I put off going to the Dr for a couple months, until I finally couldn't stand it. She gave a drug called Gabapentin. It started helping after a few days, I would still get them, but not as painful or as often. Gabapentin was too expensive for me so I asked her if I could try Valium as I read about someone else with TN that took Valium and they said it helped. She called it in and I started taking 1 before I went to bed, because it makes you sleepy. It worked but the side effects for me is that I felt sleepy and unmotivated the next day, can't stant that. So I started taking it only about 4 times per week than down to nothing. Well recently I have had a couple of flare ups, but they weren't as painful. I thought here we go again.

Here is my question. In the last few days I've had pain on the other side of my head, it's always been on my right, but suddenly I"m having pain on my left. It feels somewhat different than the regulare excruciating TN pain. But the way it comes on is the same, just kind of suddenly comes where I have to grab my head until it subsides. Has anyone ever had it change sides or have it on both sides? I need an MRI, but since I have no insurance it's out of the question.

Another question is has anyone ever heard if an injury can cause this condition? When I was young, I fell flat on my back and hit my head from about 6 feet up, doesn't seem high, but remember I was 7 and I was the size and weight of a 5 year old and the time, late bloomer and I had a big box I was getting out of a cupboard that fell on top of me. I don't remember exactly when that happen in relation to when I first got TN pain, but it was around that time. Thank you.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 03-05-2011, 10:40 AM   #2
Facilitator
(female)

Titchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB User
Re: A question regarding TN

As to an injury, yes, that can cause TN. The actual cause of the pain is something pressing on the trigeminal nerve and ventually rubbing a bare spot which causes the pain. My sister had TN but hers was a congenital issue. The meds quit working for her and she had vascular decompression surgery at the hospital where the procedure was invented - Presbyterian Hospital at U of PIttsburg. She's fine now. I suggest you check wiht the facial pain association for an approved doc in your area.

Old 03-05-2011, 10:57 AM   #3
(female)

warmbreeze HB Userwarmbreeze HB User
Re: A question regarding TN

Quote:
Originally Posted by Titchou View Post
As to an injury, yes, that can cause TN. The actual cause of the pain is something pressing on the trigeminal nerve and ventually rubbing a bare spot which causes the pain. My sister had TN but hers was a congenital issue. The meds quit working for her and she had vascular decompression surgery at the hospital where the procedure was invented - Presbyterian Hospital at U of PIttsburg. She's fine now. I suggest you check wiht the facial pain association for an approved doc in your area.
Thank Titchou, I'm happy for your sister, that's wonderful. Do you remember before her surgery if the pain would stop for awhile and then come back with a vengence? Right now after being given valium, which I only take here and there when I can feel little surges of TN surfacing, it's pretty much under control. But I know it'll start again if I quit taking them completely. I've also read from others that eventually the meds can stop working for you.

Have you ever heard of the pain switching sides or be on both sides? I'm having pain on the other side now, not the exact kind of pain, but very painful nonetheless.

I'm pretty sure since you say an injury can cause this, that must be the reason mine started at such a young age, because I haven't heard anyone say theirs started as young as mine did. I remember when I was little and got them, I told my Mom and being young I guess I didn't explain to her the extent of the pain and the way it came and went, so she naturally just thought I was dealing with some kind of headache. She said "yes we all get head pain like that". So for years I thought it was normal and everyone got it. Then when I was older and still had it, I mentioned it to her and explained it to her better and she said no that's not normal. It wasn't until then I knew it wasn't something everyone got. I also suffer from migraines, but pretty sure they are unrelated to the TN. My husband just signed me up to be a participant in a study for TN, as of this time this particular company aren't conducting any, but I'm on the list as willing particpants. I have no insurance and surgery isn't an option.

Closed Thread