It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Trigeminal Neuralgia Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-31-2011, 08:24 PM   #1
(female)

TRACY2NY HB User
Trigeminal Neuralgia....help educate me about it

6 weeks ago, I was attacked by my husband. He slammed the left side of my head and face into the front door of our home. The louder I screamed and cried, the harder he continued slamming my head into the door.

Immediately post the assault, I had pain and pressure in my head. I had slight bruising on the left side of my face. Within a week, the pain had not gone away and it felt like intense pressure along side my face and in my hairline above my ear all down my jaw.

After 3 weeks had gone by, my dr ordered a ct scan to see if a fracture or concossion was causing the problem. The CT scan showed no breaks , etc.(luckily ). She asked me to describe the pain and I told her that I feel electric shocks in my jaw along the left side of my face that radiates from the back of my lower jaw all along to my left eye tooth. My lips and chin (usually just my bottom lip) goes numb throughout the day. It feels as if I've been given a shot of novacaine. There are times that I bring a cup to my mouth and I think that it's at my lip but the drink spills down my shirt and I realize the numbness in my lips interferred. I have really intense pressure in my ear and am completely unable to chew on my left side as the shocks become far too intense!

She prescribed me tramadol for the pain but it makes me goofy so I take it only when the pain is unbearable. She also put me on prednisone and said that she has seen it reduce the swelling in the nerves and assist with the pain.

She also referred me to a neurologist and I have my appointment next month. I am wondering what I can expect from this visit? How does the neuro go about diagnosing this disease? What tests need to be done and what is the usual course of action? I have 2 very young children and am hesistant to have any type of invasive surgery. The pain can be downright awful some days and other days it can be managable.

In the beginning, I didn't understand so much what triggered it but I've learned that I have to brush my teeth really slow, I can only eat soft foods that require little to no chewing (soup , mashed potatoes, and ICE CREAM), I have to be really careful when brusing my hair and applying my make-up. Sometimes when my kids hug me, if they hug too tight, my face gets numb and I end up with more shocks in my jaw.

Any advice or wisdom would be greatly appreciated! I am so sorry you are all dealing with this!

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 08-01-2011, 08:29 PM   #2
Facilitator
(female)

Titchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB User
Re: Trigeminal Neuralgia....help educate me about it

TN is caused by pressure on the trigeminal nerve which is on the right side, behind the ear. Obviously you have some nerve damage due to the attack. While it may mimic some symptoms of TN, I would imagine it's damage to other nerves.

So sorry you are having to deal with this.

Old 12-03-2011, 07:19 AM   #3
(female)

TRACY2NY HB User
Re: Trigeminal Neuralgia....help educate me about it

Dennis,

Thank you so much for your kind reply.

I do have an order of protection and am away from him. I live in the same area as him HOWEVER, my address is on lock down with the courts. Naturally as with all abusers, he has denied any type of wrong doing.

I have custody of the kids. The only time he ever sees me is at the custody transfer where a 3rd party must attend for MY safety.

I will never be totally free from him with the kids in the picture, but I'm finally free from his abuse. I endure the mental and verbal for 12+ years. The physical abuse started in the last 3 years of our marriage. I'm so much stronger, better off, and happier. I pray for the day that the emotional scars go away.

I've been to a neuro and he did and MRI. He put me on Effexor. I originally started with 1 pill of 37.5 mg per day. He said to increase the dosage to get the relief. I am at 4 pills of 37.5 per day now. It seems to give me the most relief. I do notice that nothing really can stop the severest attacks. I can feel them still. the meds do make them less intense, but I know it's happening. I guess I'll never be the same.

As far as the MRI, the results were not entirely conclusive. It says the following "the vertebrobasiliar system is tortuous. The left superior cerebellar runs in close approximation to the cisternal portions of the 5th cranial nerve, however, the aertial flow void does not clearly about the nerve. A venous flow void is noted adjacent to the nerve. The sella is normal. The pineal region is clear. The cerebellar tonsils are normal in size and position. Normal flow voids are noted within the visualized cerebral vasculature. There are no areas of abnormal enhancement. "

This condition has entirely changed the quality of my life. Eating is difficult, opening my mouth too wide results in pain in my chin and teeth. I've noticed in the last two weeks that my jaw bone now cracks when I open too far. I've been to a oral surgeon who found nothing in my xrays. I am a runner and can't run outside b/c the wind on my face is so intense that I have throbbing pain in my face for 3 days afterwards.

Despite this all, I feel lucky to be alive. I look at my two children everyday and they are my strength to keep going. To give them a life free from the violence that he wanted me to be in.

Thanks for listening!

Closed Thread