It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Trigeminal Neuralgia Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-16-2011, 10:02 AM   #1
(female)

kwest4 HB User
Trigeminal Neuralgia and other neuralgias?

Hello, I was told by me GP that I had Trigeminal Neuralgia and Multiple Sclerosis, but after an MRI without contrast, the Neurologist says that I don't have Multiple Sclerosis, but that I do have Trigeminal Neuralgia, but since he didn't use contrast with the MRI, he could not see what was going on, and he still gave me the diagnosis. I asked him how could he give me a diagnosis without further investigation. He said because of the points of pain that I showed him, he could diagnose it based on that.

Besides the Trigeminal Neuralgia pain, I've had shooting nerve pain in the front of my neck on either side, followed with swallowing problems (food getting stuck in my throat and slowly going down), and gastric juices squirting out into my throat, burning my throat. This only happens after the initial shooting pains in the front of my neck.

Yesterday, I had stabbing pain in my right ear, but the pain was much deeper than the Trigeminal Neuralgia.

I generally have the Trigeminal Neuralgia pain on the right side, but occasionally I get it on the left side, but my Neurologist says that I can't get it on both sides; so now he's calling me a liar. The pain usually occurs in my upper and lower jaw, along the gum line (usually by my canine teeth), in front of my ear (where the jaw joins), sometimes above my eye, and tenderness going down my neck, towards the back. This pain has been triggered by sound, chewing, and wind, so I avoid eating on my right side, and if I notice even a twinge of pain on a windy day, I will cover the right side of my face.

I told the Neurologist that the capsacin is helping, but he wanted to put me on Cymbalta, and it made me so tired, that I wasn't able to keep my eyes open or function. I also had pain while on the Cymbalta, so it obviously isn't working for me.

I've used capsaicin cream on my face, and it helps for most of the pain, but I tried capsaicin yesterday for the ear pain, and was unable to get to where the pain was. I even put the capsaicin inside my ear. The pain wasn't as bad as Trigeminal Neuralgia either, but it was enough to want some relief. This morning my ear feels better.

When I have trigeminal Neuralgia attacks, that last for days, I notice that my jaws start clenching, and my tongue clings to the roof of my mouth to stop it from having spasms. I removed all vitamins with magnesium stearate, and the pain decreased, but I don't know if it was just a coincidence.

Recently I broke out in bumps that were extremely itchy, and the GP told me it was caused by stress, so she had me take Allegra, but it isn't working. The Allegra has magnesium stearate, and the pains are getting stronger, and my jaw is becoming more tense.

TMJ has been ruled out, but I still don't understand why so many neurological things are happening in the vicinity of the head and neck.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 10-05-2011, 02:23 PM   #2
(female)

helias HB Userhelias HB User
Re: Trigeminal Neuralgia and other neuralgias?

Well as far as Trigeminal Neuralgia goes, it's supposed to be in your face. I went to the doctor because I has having excruciating headaches that originated from the top of my head. I asked my doctor about it, and he said that sometimes people have pain displacement, where it comes from the nerves in one place, but the symptoms occur in a different area. You might be having pain in your ear because of that. I would make sure that you've ruled out everything else first though, just in case. Also, if your doctor is calling you a liar, get a new one. Obviously he's not being professional and he doesn't know how to do his job.

Old 10-05-2011, 05:06 PM   #3
(female)

kwest4 HB User
Re: Trigeminal Neuralgia and other neuralgias?

Thank you both for responding,

I don't think this is Lyme Disease, because the problems started many years ago, and I've had several dosages of antibiotics over the years.

I'm sure that the Trigeminal Neuralgia pain is caused by Multiple Sclerosis, because when the pain occurs on both sides it's usually because of MS. Most of the pain is on the right side, but occasional jolts hit my left side, and they aren't as painful.

The neck pain has subsided for now and the acid throat has stopped which makes me think this is something neurological. My jaw is tense lately and I have cracked teeth because of the pressure of my jaw. I'm a very laid back person, and don't feel anxious. The tension in my jaw usually triggers the Trigeminal Neuralgia. The tension occurs during sleep and waking hours. I often have to force myself to open my mouth. I get spasms in my cheek too when the Trigeminal Neuralgia hits.

The worst pain from Trigeminal Neuralgia happened in January this year. I was in so much pain I had to go to the ER. The ER doctor told me it was Trigeminal Neuralgia. He gave me a prescription of Hydrocodone/APAP. This medicine only dulled the pain. For a while I was getting the pain every month and a half.

I have a referral to another Neurologist, but I'm afraid to go through all the hoops again.

I think the Neurologist I've been seeing is highly unprofessional. His files on me are all over the place. In his notes: he claims I have a history of a stroke, I was never told that I even had a stroke. He claims that I stated that I have no bladder issues, but I have bladder urgency, and weak bladder when overworked. He claims that my back is straight, I have an S shaped spine. This is just a few of the inaccuracies from some of the notes.

I'm afraid that I may never get to the bottom of all this, but I am taking vitamins to help with some of the problems. Unfortunately, I'm afraid I will have to become my own healer.

I discovered capsaicin for the Trigeminal Neuralgia pain by accident. My daughter had some capsaicin patches that her husband used on his back. He didn't like the burning sensation, so my daughter thought I could try putting the patches on my face. It worked great until I had to pry it off my face. My other daughter had some capsaicin cream, which worked really good. Now whenever I even get a twinge of pain, I rub on the cream. I chew on jalapenos to get to the pain inside my mouth, and that works good too. I don't know if using the capsaicin will always work this good, but I hope it will.

Closed Thread