It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Trigeminal Neuralgia Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-08-2012, 05:00 PM   #1
(female)

mom2Ashley HB User
Hello!

I am new to these boards.

Here's my story:

Early March I had a throbbing toothache in a previosly pulp-capped tooth from 4 years ago. I went to see my dentist's partner, concerned it was the pulp cap failing and I was getting an abcess. She found NOTHING.

A few days later I called my dentist (a male) and he also saw nothing of concern on the x-rays but prescribed antibotics (erythromyacin) but it made me sick and I stopped. Several days after stopping that med, my lower left jaw started burning. I went to the ER because it was burning so bad. I was sure I had an undetected tooth abcess! The ER dr found NO infection. He prescribed a gentler antibotic (clindamyacin) and I finished the course.

I went back to the dentist and they referred me to an endodontist who I saw on March 30th (for sure expecting to need a root canal). She could find nothing wrong and suggested it "might be trigeminal nueralgia" and referred me to "the only person in the country with a Doctorate in this area of facial pain" (near where I live fortunately). I see him on the 30th of this month

My lower left jaw has continued to "burn" on and off and currently I had been experiencing a tender spot (like a bruise) in the soft tissue of my lower left chin (in the area of the pulp-capped tooth. I also have been experiencing needle stab like pains in my NECK! (not the jaw) on the same side. I am a substitute teacher and had noticed the more I talked and the duration made my jaw burn like mad (but no severe pain).

The past two days the burning and stabbing pains are annoying but tolerable and almost non-existant most of the day. NONE at night until about late morning then appear to get worse in the evening (still tolerable) and then subside again before midnight.

After the endodontist's pseudo-diagnosis...I read up on TN and have completely broken down emotionally many, many times. I can't keep from reading the horror stories and SOB often. I keep dreading the thought of a full-blown excruciating attack. I don't know how I'll be able to handle it I hope I don't have actual TN but maybe Atypical Facial Pain ( a bogus diagnosis I know)

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 04-08-2012, 05:20 PM   #2
(female)

mom2Ashley HB User
Re: Hello!

Forgot to mention...no triggers and no "lighting strikes" of severe pain, no headaches. Just the needle stabs in my neck and jaw....

Old 04-13-2012, 12:55 PM   #3
(male)

jverive HB Userjverive HB Userjverive HB Userjverive HB Userjverive HB Userjverive HB Userjverive HB User

A neurologist may be able to determine if you have Trigeminal Neuralgia or other nerve-related pain. If it is nerve pain, take comfort in knowing that there are many drugs out there that do a good job of cutting the pain down to a tolerable level for most people, and there are other therapies (surgical and non-surgical) for people for whom medications don't offer substantial relief. Try not to freak out because of the horror stories you read on the Internet, as it is very likely that you will get relief from what is currently available.

The Following User Says Thank You to jverive For This Useful Post:
mom2Ashley (04-16-2012)
Old 04-13-2012, 04:14 PM   #4
Facilitator
(female)

Titchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB User

My sister had TN and had very successful surgery at U of Pittsburgh Presbyterian Hospital thru their Facial Pain Clinic. I suggest you check the facial pain assoc as well for an assoc approved doctor. My sister volunteers with them now because of how much they helped her. The decompression surgery was invented at UP by a Dr Generra (sp?) who has since retired. The person he directly trained to take his place is who operated on my sister.

You can be helped.

Last edited by Titchou; 04-22-2012 at 12:53 PM.

Closed Thread