It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Trigeminal Neuralgia Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-09-2012, 10:40 AM   #1
(female)

survivalmode HB User
Question MVD surgery -

Who/where is the best to go to for this surgery?

Old 04-10-2012, 04:03 AM   #2
Facilitator
(female)

Titchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB User
Re: MVD surgery -

My sister went to the Facial Pain Clinic at U of Pittsburgh's Presbyterian Hospital. The procedure was originally invented there. It was highly successful for her. You could also check to see if there is a neurosurgeon in your area who is approved by the facial pain assoc and who has trained at Pitt.

The Following User Says Thank You to Titchou For This Useful Post:
survivalmode (04-10-2012)
Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 08-12-2012, 08:02 AM   #3
(male)

WrightBill HB User

PS, I had it, and it did not work. I suggest you ask if the anomoly noted in the scans is the culprit or if possibly not. 5 hours, thorough job, best Atlanta Doctor, then no results. Next to Dr. Janetta in Pittsburgh who suggested exploratory. No thanks. Just suggesting you be really sure.

Old 08-12-2012, 11:31 AM   #4
Facilitator
(female)

Titchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB User

I didn't think Janetta was still practicing. He had retired from surgery and was just doing research when my sister had hers in 2000.

Old 08-12-2012, 04:04 PM   #5
(male)

WrightBill HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Titchou View Post
I didn't think Janetta was still practicing. He had retired from surgery and was just doing research when my sister had hers in 2000.
I saw him personally in 2010.

Old 08-15-2012, 05:59 PM   #6
Facilitator
(female)

Interesting that he is back practicing.

Old 08-20-2012, 07:25 PM   #7
(female)

Artist3027 HB User

Hi, I am new here, but not to the neuralgia's. I have had 2 MVDs and had teflon inserted between the 5th nerve and 7th nerve so they would not touch the arteries and veins. That was 7 years ago and I still had pain, ice pck in the ear pain. I was able to work with the help of meds and steriod injections once every 3 to 4 months. Then, 2 1/2 years ago, it became so bad I couldn't get off the couch. I then went to another neurosurgeon who gave me hope that it might be the 9th nerve. There was enough closeness to veins/artieries that I now have teflon there too. He also found an another arterial loop on my 5th nerve again, so he padded that one 2. I am now on SSDI, still in pain, but I think every thing is so damaged and I have been told I also have auricular temperal neuralgia. Anyone ever hear of that? I am trying to do some research on chicken pox virus, as I also had shingles at 16 years old and bells palsy twice, not on the same side, but once at 21 and once in my 30's. It has to have some play in this all. Too many people have had these also. Well, good luck to you. I have heard many success stories sod don't let mine be your guide. Just be picky, ask how many they have done, what the success rates are, etc... If in doubt, see more neurosurgeons. Their are plenty. I am in Colorao, so thats a bit far for you, but keep looking.

Old 08-20-2012, 07:27 PM   #8
(female)

Artist3027 HB User
Re:MVD

Oh, one more thing, get the book "Striking Back" It has been and still is my bible.

Last edited by Administrator; 10-17-2012 at 07:09 PM.

Old 10-17-2012, 03:47 PM   #9
(male)

xxpilot HB User

Survival mode; hopefully you've received more info by now, but here's my own perspective. Back 20 years ago after talking with Dr. P.J.'s office and learning of Dr. Arthur Kobrine in D.C.in near us, and extremely highly rated i went to see Dr. K. He sent me to a local ENT first for a shot of novocaine in the frontal foremen to see if the procedure would work. That info was immediately passed on and MVD was performed within a very few days. No pain after that op !

since that period I believe the gamma knife became popular for some folks. Whereas the MVD worked immediately for many or most to relieve the pain, it's my understanding the GK required the patient to continue taking meds for a short while. Back in 1992 the MVD had a very high PS (prob. of success) for eliminating the pain and very, very low mortality rate.

It's possible the GK has now been replaced with another procedure

It was a breeze for me and for everyone else I know who lived in DC area except for one lady with atypical TN and another with MS. Pls let me know how you do and don't be afraid. The op has now been done on the young and the older with great success.

My very best wishes. xxpilot

Last edited by Administrator; 10-17-2012 at 07:08 PM.

Closed Thread