It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Trigeminal Neuralgia Message Board
Post New Thread   Reply Reply
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-25-2012, 11:17 AM   #1
(female)

LadyWriter1968 HB User
Trigeminal Neuralgia

Saw dentist and was recently diagnosed with this on upper right side of gum. At first I thought it was my crown needed replacing as every time any liquid of food go that side it thumps and hurts for a short time and then goes. My dentist told me to see my GP for further tests of which I did. GP sent off for me to have an MRI Scan for that and on my brain. I was diagnosed so far with this about a month ago, Sept 12. I have been placed on meds for this which dont really help either so he has given me another set now.

I have noticed recently that it feels like I am dribbling one side of my mouth when in fact I am not, now I am noticing and strange tingling in my face the right side and it feels like I have a lazy eye even though when look in mirror my eye is fine. The GP said its the nerve giving me that affect.

I have also read there is no cure for this. I am pretty peeved off as to be honest I already have other medical conditions to add to this one. Alas, hypertension and lower back pain along with underactive thyroid and on meds for all of that as well.

I also read there is a connection with hypertension and TN. To do with the 5th cranial nerve in the gum/face. Its strange as a month before I got TN I had my wisdom tooth out but had it out on the opposite side and lower left. I know that our brain works to opposite sides but dont know if that also includes nerve cells. The opposite side where had wisdom out that is fine really. I have asked myself whether when having wisdom out could it honestly affect the opposite side? if not, what has started this up all of a sudden?

I am 44 years old female. I try to stay positive but when you keep getting told you have this, and then next that, and so on. I had numbness for over a year a few years back in my legs and foot throbbed and sciatica because of my lower back pain and pins and needles and my life was a misery. I dont relish the idea of now having it all over again in my face.

I have been exercising it and massage it. The type of pain I get is more like if fluid hits there as if when you get a toothache pain. banging and throbbing in the gum. But dentist said my teeth are fine, but as soon as he touched my gum that side it was ouchy time for sure. He even removed something stuck in my hole the other side where had wisdom out and that didnt even hurt.

Anyway, any one else have TN after reading my rendition of my story?
Any advice for long term sufferers for me?

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 10-27-2012, 12:00 PM   #2
(female)

byoung6 HB Userbyoung6 HB Userbyoung6 HB Userbyoung6 HB User
Re: Trigeminal Neuralgia

I have had TN since my 20's, I am now 52, its no fun. I am sorry your having so much trouble. I just wanted you to know that I read your post and wish you the best. Get all the tests done, it may not actually be TN, some of your symptoms are a bit vague. And that it is incurable is not true, sometimes its curable with surgery, other times only treatable.
Best of luck to you and don't lose hope.

Old 10-27-2012, 02:43 PM   #3
Facilitator
(female)

Titchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB User

I'm with byoung6 in that this doesn't totally sound like typical TN. I strongly suggest that you see a neurologist who is well versed in this. Perhaps check with the Facial Pain Association for a referral to one approved by them in your area. And there is surgery for this. My sister had it at Presbyterian Hospital in Pittsburgh where the procedure was developed. Worked very well for her. My best to you.

Old 01-06-2013, 11:47 PM   #4
Inactive
(female)

Juhit HB User

There are many people across the globe who suffer from Trigeminal neuralgia. So please don't worry. Herbal remedies are available which gives very good results without any adverse effects. Combination of ayurvedic herbs and resonance homeopathic remedies works wonders. These remedies address to the root cause of TN and also decrease the sensitivity of the nerves so that it stops reacting to the stimulus. Some of the frequently used remedies are Niargim tablets, Trigeminal neuralgia CM and OM 13 Trigeminal.

Old 01-10-2013, 06:07 PM   #5
(female)

simonfoot HB User

I am sorry to hear that you are in pain! I was diagnosed with atypical TN three years ago - I was in so much pain I had to take time off of work. It felt like someone was lighting my face on fire and slashing it with a knife all day. I do not have any pain at all anymore...I manage it with an antiseizure med and cymbalta. I also went to a compounding pharmacist and got a great topical painkiller. I highly recommend finding a compounding pharmacist. you get immediate pain relief when you apply a topical! also, antseizure meds are great but they take a long time to work.

Reply Reply