It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Trigeminal Neuralgia Message Board
Post New Thread   Reply Reply
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-05-2013, 01:29 PM   #1
(male)

graphicsman1 HB User
Occipital Neuralgia Headaches

Hello to all suffering with Occipital Neuralgia, 1 year ago I began having headaches that start in the back of my head and work around over my ears and end up over my eyes. My headaches also move..they can start on the right side and 2 hours later can go to the back left side of my head. Do yours move? I have been told that not everyone with this condition has the same symptoms, but there are similarities. My headaches make it hard to focus on anything else in life.

I am desperately trying to find long-term relief from these headaches. I did get trigger point steroid injections in the back of my head in the doctor's office. Each time I would get headache relief for 3-5 days, but after several rounds of this I began having severe "charlie horses"/ muscle spasms in my feet and legs as a side-effect of the steroids and had to discontinue the injections.

Migraine medicine, opiates, or any of the typical narcotics do not work. I have heard some people use Cymbalta. I have yet to try this as I was concerned about causing nausea which I can sometimes get with the headaches. Does anyone else have nausea or vomiting from their Occipital Neuralgia? (I know that vomiting is not uncommon with "ole fashion" migraines, which are not the same as Occipital headaches.)

Has anyone heard of neuro-surgeons that have been highly successful with Occipital Neuralgia? I have heard of 1 (Dr.Jho) in Pittsburgh, PA. He has a high success rate if your headaches are being generated at the C2 cervical nerve root level. He uses a Selective C2 Nerve Root Block under guided fluorscopy to determine whether or not his procedure has a chance to work for Occipital Neuralgia patients seeking relief from his minimally invasive, endoscopic technique. In addition to Dr.Jho, are their others?

Any success stories to share regarding doctors, surgery, medicines, or any other thing that would help us short AND long-term??

I look forward to hearing from you.
Kenny

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 07-16-2013, 06:11 PM   #2
(female)

leannairene HB User
Re: Occipital Neuralgia Headaches

Hi Kenny, I am so sorry for your experience. I think I am in the same boat though doctors haven't gotten there yet. A few years ago I was diagnosed with migraines (never had a headache in my life) and began topomax and imitrex. As the "headaches" got better the Dr's worked me off the topomax and I've been med free for over a year. The last week of May the same pain began only it came on like gangbusters...it hasn't stopped yet. I'm going for an MRI this week so progress is hopefully coming. Where are you in your treatment?

Reply Reply